Author Topic: Balance --again--help with decision, opinions wanted  (Read 2340 times)

nannettesea

Balance --again--help with decision, opinions wanted
« on: November 30, 2005, 06:48:58 pm »
Hi all-
Now 13 weeks post-op and dizziness no better than 8 weeks ago.  I've spoken both with my doc and Dr. Hitzelberger of HEA in LA, they don't know why this is taking me so long.  They tell me to keep waiting for another 2-3
1.7cm x 1.4cm x .8cm, right ear
Trans-lab approach
Dr. Jay Rubinstein, U of WA
8/29/05

lynndlk

Re: Balance --again--help with decision, opinions wanted
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2005, 08:22:39 pm »
Are you doing any kind of Physical Therapy ? I did and it helped a lot. They teach you how to move your head, neck and eyes to make you dizzy and when you get to a 78 level you stop and go on to the next exersize. I went twice a week for 4 week and then one a week for 4 weeks. I still stager when I walk and use a cane but the major dizzys are gone. (Unless I swing around fast or bend over fast.) But even then they go away quicker
LynnDee

russ

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2005, 08:43:38 pm »
 Hi Nannettesea;
  If you had translab, you 'may' have lost some very good function which is of yet uncompensated for. I would do as HEI says and tough it out for a while yet.
  Any sudden ( within hours or days ) changes in balance function or hearing, nasal or surgical site disharge,  or a gained headache, would be cause for me to contact House immediately.
  Best wishes to you!
  Russ

Battyp

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2005, 10:25:40 pm »
Hi Nan...
  My stuff is taking longer than anticipated too...Physical therapy is helping I've been doing for 2 months.  They keep telling me it's a matter of retraining my brain and from what i've read and heard from others it's true just SLOW...

hang in there,
Michelle

nannettesea

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2005, 09:57:02 pm »
Thanks, all.  Russ, I was thinking the same thing.  I'm actually WORSE than prior to surgery, because I still had some vestibular function in the right ear just misfiring.  I stopped PT exercises after a month because they didn't seem to help, and got a real balling out from my doc.

Thanks also to LynnDee and Michelle.  Just can't believe how SLOW this is!  Cheryl also said I can't measure my progress against anyone else's.  My body will do what it does at its own pace.

Appreciate the comments and support, as always.
Nan

1.7cm x 1.4cm x .8cm, right ear
Trans-lab approach
Dr. Jay Rubinstein, U of WA
8/29/05