Author Topic: AN - History Lesson  (Read 2997 times)

Mark

AN - History Lesson
« on: November 28, 2005, 11:40:59 pm »
Just as a change up, I came across this recent article outlining the development of Acoustic neuroma treatments over the past 100 years or so. Hopefully it provides value in one of two ways:

1) It will give all of us an appreciation for how far AN treatment has come in a relatively recent time frame and how the outcomes and treatment choices have dramatically improved
2) Provide anyone having trouble sleeping with a sure fire  , drug free way to get some rest  ;D

It mentions the significant contributions of House , Samii and Leskell in evolving the options. As an aside, for those couple of folks who continue to struggle with the math of when GK was first used to treat an Acoustic Neuroma, it also confirms the date as 1969  ::)

If you're into history, might be interesting but if you're into a good nights sleep it will help there too

FWIW

Mark

http://www.aans.org/education/journal/neurosurgical/apr05/18-4-10.pdf

CK for a 2 cm AN with Dr. Chang/ Dr. Gibbs at Stanford
November 2001

jamie

Re: AN - History Lesson
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2005, 11:54:13 am »
As an aside, for those couple of folks who continue to struggle with the math of when GK was first used to treat an Acoustic Neuroma, it also confirms the date as 1969  ::)

Funny how many folks still believe surgeons when they say radiosurgery is experimental, and is "new technology" without long term results. I guess it's a 36 year long experiment. We're still waiting to see what effects the radiation will have on us in the afterlife, the numbers just aren't in yet.  ;)
CyberKnife radiosurgery at Barrow Neurological Institute; 2.3 cm lower cranial nerve schwannoma

russ

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2005, 06:58:06 pm »
Hi
  Trying to recall when GK was first used to treat benign ANs. I think not 1968 or 1969. Do you have that info? Thanks, if so!
  Russ

jamie

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2005, 07:51:42 pm »
Russ, the information is contained in the link Mark provided. But I'll quote it for you in case you don't want to read the literature.

Leksell described stereotactic radiosurgery in 1951 as a method to destroy intracranial targets by using single high doses of focused ionizing radiation, controlled by stereotactic guidance. As Niranjan and Lunsford recount, in Stockholm in 1967, Leksell and E.O. Backlund performed the first gamma knife procedure, and 2 years later, in 1969, Leksell and G. Nor'en performed the first radiosurgery to treat acoustic neuroma. Recent series reporting long-term outcomes in patients with acoustic neuromas who were treated radiosurgically show a high rate of facial and cochlear nerve preservation, along with long-term tumor control.

I know it is your belief that gamma knife was developed to treat cancer, despite my providing you with information in a previous thread that use of GK on malignancy wasn't even attempted until it reached the U.S. in the 80's. Before that, it was only used to treat benign lesions and malformations.
CyberKnife radiosurgery at Barrow Neurological Institute; 2.3 cm lower cranial nerve schwannoma

russ

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2005, 11:35:48 pm »
Thanks Jamie!
  I saw it today and somehow overlooked the first AN Txs by GK. I hope your Wednesday is well!
  Russ

jamie

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2005, 11:56:17 pm »
No problem, it was a small paragraph.  ;)

I think it's a good piece of literature, it provides good, unbiased info. Mostly regarding surgery, but it accurately portrays radiosurgery as an effective alternative, and doesn't use misinformation to promote surgery. If only all patients had access to such honest resources, the world of AN's would be a brighter place. Unfortunately, many surgeons, and even some patients just don't see it that way. Options are wonderful things. :)