Author Topic: Virtigo  (Read 2610 times)

Pooge

Virtigo
« on: February 15, 2006, 08:27:09 pm »
How long does the virtigo last after surgery?  My dad had a 4.5 AN last thursday he had virtigo for the past 5 days.  How long does that ussaully last?   

Vincent87

Re: Virtigo
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2006, 07:40:53 pm »
My mom is the worst case scenario.  She's had vertigo since late July.  GK was in May.  And she's been in hospitals and nursing homes since.  (Her AN was just about 2.3cm.)  She's taking Anti-Vert, 12.5mg x 3 daily, but it's tough to tell if it's working since she also has hydrocephalus.  Physical therapy seems to help (both physically and emotionally).  She waits for the day when she wakes up and the vertigo is gone.  Mom has the true definition of vertigo...memory problems/brain skips, panic, fear, dizziness (even when she moves her head in bed not more than an inch; the vertigo has made her disabled)-you should take a spin to I think it's called the Vertigo Association or Vestibular Association website.  Hope your dad feels better soon.

Boppie

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2006, 10:43:16 pm »
Has the doctor diagnosed Vertigo?  or is he really dizzy?  Has he been shown the eye movement exercises?  Can he do eye exercises one or two at a time while sitting down?  I am not trying to challenge you, I just wonder if he is having the same dizzyness that others might have with an AN of his size.  He has a lot to recover from.  Others who had an AN of this size might report some comparisons to you.  He will be alright. 

Pooge

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2006, 07:44:13 pm »
Yes he has done thos exercises, the DR said when he schecked his eyes 2 days after sugery they were jumping all over the place, then on that following tuesady his eyes followed everything the dr did.  The Doctor says its probably just swelling, do people with larger tumors go through a slower recovery?  The Dr say there was no nerve damage to any nerve.  As of today he said his balance felt alot better.  The first real change in 9 days of post op.  But the vision still blurry, but from what I have read this is all normal?

Vincent87

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2006, 10:42:09 pm »
Mom's vertigo is a direct result from the GK.  She has an edema or more specifically a swollen cerebullem.    She's 9 months post-op and prays every day to wake up and for the vertigo to be gone.  She too had spiraling pupils for the first few months.  She even (up until last month) would see objects upside down.  We hope for much better luck with you and your dad.

Pembo

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2006, 06:16:44 pm »
My vision was blurry for a few weeks. I was under the care of an opthamologist. I remember my first visit to him my eye was 20/200 and that was with glasses. Now it's about 20/40 with glasses.  It just takes time.
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006