Author Topic: Bald spot from CK treatment?  (Read 2073 times)

Tumbleweed

Bald spot from CK treatment?
« on: May 25, 2008, 11:39:40 pm »
Hi, everyone:

I have decided on CyberKnife treatment if and when it's needed. I have heard that some (all?) people get a bald spot where the radiation beams hit the scalp.

How big of a bald spot is this typically? How soon after the procedure does hair fall out at the spot? Where is  the bald spot located for people who are treated for an AN extending out of the IAC (internal auditory canal) and into the CPA (cerebello-pontine angle)? I have long hair, and am hoping I can do a "comb-over" to cover up the bald spot, if I get one.

It may seem silly of me to worry about a bald spot in light of all the major issues to consider in AN treatment. But I have a very important business trip coming up in late July and don't want business associates to see a bald spot (I currently have a thick head of hair) and start asking questions.

Thanks for all responses,
Tumbleweed
L. AN 18x12x9 mm @ diagnosis, 11/07
21x13x11 mm @ CK treatment 7/11/08 (Drs. Chang & Gibbs, Stanford)
21x15x13 mm in 12/08 (5 months post-CK), widespread necrosis, swelling
12x9x6 mm, Nov. 2017; shrank ~78% since treatment!
W&W on stable 6mm hypoglossal tumor found 12/08

Mark

Re: Bald spot from CK treatment?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2008, 11:43:54 am »
Tumbleweed,

I think temporary hair loss spots following CK or any other radiosurgery treatment is not that common of an event. It happens in some folks, but is not the norm from what I know about it. It is a more common occurrence in treating tumors like Meningioma's which are closer to the scalp area than an AN. That said, when they occur, they generally are about the diameter of a pencil from what people have said.

Mark
CK for a 2 cm AN with Dr. Chang/ Dr. Gibbs at Stanford
November 2001

sgerrard

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2008, 02:48:49 pm »
The CK beams come at you from all directions, so there is typically no one hot spot on your scalp. That is part of the whole theory of radiosurgery - that by shooting beams from lots of different directions, only the point where they all intersect gets a high dose.

I wish I could blame my thin spots on CK, but they were all there before treatment. As I said in another post once, you probably lose more hair worrying about the AN that you do getting radiation treatment.  :P

Steve

8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Tumbleweed

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2008, 10:39:03 pm »
Dr. Chang told me a few days ago I would probably not get any bald spots from the CK treatment.

Thank God for tender mercies. :)

Tumbleweed
L. AN 18x12x9 mm @ diagnosis, 11/07
21x13x11 mm @ CK treatment 7/11/08 (Drs. Chang & Gibbs, Stanford)
21x15x13 mm in 12/08 (5 months post-CK), widespread necrosis, swelling
12x9x6 mm, Nov. 2017; shrank ~78% since treatment!
W&W on stable 6mm hypoglossal tumor found 12/08

claire1

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2008, 09:10:35 pm »
Hi

I have a thick head of brown hair. I was concerned that I would have bald spots and contemplated getting my hair cut before it happened.(bald spots)  I was more anxious over getting my hair cut than I was getting bald spot (s). Since I haven't had a hair cut in about fifteen years, I decided to keep the length and if need be, I'll do the 'once over' hair comb.  lolol  NOT REALLY, BUT I'll get my hair cut and donate it to " Locks for Love." If I get a hair cut after so many years, I'd like give it cancer survivors who can benefit from it.

It is heart warming to hear,though, that bald spots are not common after CK/GK.
Take Care
Claire
It's Sunny again in Pa