Author Topic: Loud noises on AN side  (Read 2966 times)

Nancy Drew

• Colorado Tree Hugger!!!
Loud noises on AN side
« on: June 13, 2008, 09:13:40 pm »
My AN is small, and I have some bothersome hearing loss.  I still have good hearing for the most part.  Do any of you cringe when you hear a loud noise that is aimed at your AN ear?  For instance, the garbage truck was picking up my trash this week, and the noise from the truck made my AN ear hurt.  It was like a sharp pain.  Also sometimes I feel like I have an earache in the AN ear mostly at the end of the day before I go to bed.  It is like my ear has had a workout for the day.  I'm not sure if I am describing anything related to an AN.  Just wondering.  Nancy 
12/05 AN diagnosed left ear 4.5mm
06/08 6mm
Gamma Knife 10/21/08
1 year MRI  6.8mm x 5.5mm
2 year MRI  5.9mm x 4.9mm
3 year MRI  6.5mm x 6.0mm 
Slight Hearing Loss Post GK

Swedish Gamma Knife Center
Englewood, CO
Dr. Robert Feehs

Nicole222

• Nicole, Mommy to Jordan
Re: Loud noises on AN side
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2008, 10:19:29 pm »
Those things sound very AN related to me.  My hearing on that side was almost annoying when I had it.  It's hard to say that-- having lost it totally now.  But, I can relate to that.  Also, now post surgery, my good ear seems soooo amplified that regular noises are hurting it.  I don't know--I guess it all takes time to adjust.  My earaches are like a pulling sensation.
Had surgery (retrosigmoid) May 9th, 2008 to remove a 3.5cm AN from left side.
Home one week later, no facial nerve damage. 
SSD -Left ear.
Thankful daily for fantastic surgeons and wonderful family and friends.
34 years old.  Married mommy to Jordan, 23 months.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2008, 10:41:56 pm »
I had just the opposite.  The hearing on my AN side was diminished and everything that I heard with that ear was kind of muffled.  I had good word recognition, but sounds were very muted.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

er

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2008, 10:56:17 pm »
Nancy Drew,

Like Jan I did the same. The noise didn’t bother me than but I still had a lot of my hearing. It just wasn’t as loud. I was after my hearing left that the noise started bothering me. Like you said they amplified.
eve

sabuck

• Buck & Sons Landscape Service, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2008, 10:39:48 am »
Nancy,

After I had my MRI, loud sounds and my tinnitus went crazy! This was before AN removal. The doctor said that it should not have had any affect on the AN. I can tell you that it enraged my AN and it let me know it. It was not psychosomatic either as my wife thought. I have normal hearing on my good ear...or at least it is in the bottom range of normal.
Since having had AN surgery and although I have no hearing in the AN ear, loud noises still drive me nuts! I completely understand.   :-[
Approx. AN 2.5 cm prior to surgery on 10/7/07)
(Cerebellopontine Angle Tumor)
The Ohio State University Medical Clinic (Drs. Brad Welling & John McGregor)
SSD post op - left side
BAHA surgery 4/25/08 Dr. Brad Welling 7/3/08 for Baha use!

mema

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2008, 09:08:56 am »
Nancy,

loud noises effect me as well as noises that go pingggggg.  Like keys on the table, a glass put down etc.  I get earaches in both ears.  I kind of figured out pressure of all sorts seem to make it happen.  I don't have a AN in my good ear, or wax or anything but I do suffer earaches in that ear off and on.  The ENT gave me drops, but they didn't help.  It doesn't happen that often.  I've been dealing with this for 2 1/2 years now.  Its like diversed pain I guess.

mema
6mm x 8mm left AN FSR 26 treatments Nov.-Dec.2005
MD Anderson Orlando, Fl.

Gloriann

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2008, 09:09:07 pm »
Yes, I cringe if any sound is too loud on my "good side". Seems like things are amplyfied. Even if someone happens to be turning pages to a newspaper or magazine on my goosd side, it is irritating to me.
4 cm AN removed 2001- Memphis, Tn by
Dr Gale Gardner and Dr Jon Robertson

7/12 nerve graft 2002- Dr Jon Robertson

gold weight 2001 Memphis, a few days after tumor surgery- Dr James Fleming

Gamma Knife done December 29, 2010 at LSU Shreveport

Nancy Drew

• Colorado Tree Hugger!!!
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2008, 09:33:00 pm »
Gloriann,

Just curious since I don't see a signature about your AN, but have you had your AN treated.  I haven't had anything done to my AN yet so just wondering what your situation is. 

Thanks,

Nancy
12/05 AN diagnosed left ear 4.5mm
06/08 6mm
Gamma Knife 10/21/08
1 year MRI  6.8mm x 5.5mm
2 year MRI  5.9mm x 4.9mm
3 year MRI  6.5mm x 6.0mm 
Slight Hearing Loss Post GK

Swedish Gamma Knife Center
Englewood, CO
Dr. Robert Feehs

thornapple

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2008, 08:06:14 pm »
Yep, I have the old "enraged ear" thing in my AN ear, too. Loud noises are the pits. I have developed pulsitile tinnitus in there, too, so every muffled noise I do hear goes "WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW".  Noises like driving down the highway are dreadful; I put in an earplug. Hearos are great.

Too much noise and I end up ill from the angry symptoms in that ear. Like....tonight.