Author Topic: Lower eyelid repositioning?  (Read 2999 times)

Terri

Lower eyelid repositioning?
« on: October 22, 2005, 09:57:19 am »
I am two years and one month postop, and I am continuing to very slowly recover from right-sided facial paralysis. My upper eyelid shows signs of beginning to blink again, and the muscles in my lower eyelid will twitch when I concentrate on moving them.

However, my lower eyelid still droops, especially when I put drops in. That creates problems with keeping my eye lubricated, since the drops pool up instead of spread across the surface of my eye.

I went to an oculoplastic surgeon who has recommended an Alloderm spacer to support the middle of my lower eyelid and a lateral canthopexy to pull up the outer corner. He says he can't guarantee that it will be symmetrical in appearance to my other eye, but it should be close.

Has anyone else had this done? If so, how do you like the results, and have you had any problems?
2.2cm AN
Translab 9/30/03
Mark Ercius & Michael Fucci

steph

Re: Lower eyelid repositioning?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2005, 11:03:54 am »
Hi Terri
I am one year post surgery. In July I had several stitches put in the corner of my left eye to keep it from drooping and I also had a gold weight inserted and I am very happy. It looks pretty symmetrical, basically it looks like the difference your eyes may look now except the surgical eye will be slightly more closed than the non surgical eye, instead of the reversed. It is not perfect but I have been pretty happy with the symmetry. My surgeon told me they do the procedure for the integrity of the eye but the symmetry is an additional benefit. The most important issue is to make sure you have an excellent surgeon, my eye plastics surgeon went so slowly to make sure it was perfect and it's pretty close. The best part is that I am able to put less drops in during the day. good luck. let me know if you need more info. Steph

Terri

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2005, 10:38:49 pm »
Stephanie: Thanks for the information. I've decided to go ahead with this procedure. I'll try to post back here in a few months with the results.

Terri
2.2cm AN
Translab 9/30/03

steph

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2005, 06:46:49 am »
Good luck!

Terri

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2005, 02:02:59 pm »
I promised to return and post the results of my lower eyelid repositioning procedure, and here they are.

I went to an oculoplastic surgeon, which means he's a plastic surgeon that specializes in eyes. He inserted an Alloderm spacer to lift the middle of my lower eyelid, and then he performed a canthopexy, which is a tightening of the tendons at the outside of my eye.

I'm two weeks post-op, and the results are dramatic. I only need about 10% of the eye drops I used to use, and my facial appearance is normal. Since my lower eyelid no longer droops, I don't have a pool of useless drops at the bottom, and the eye itself is much better protected. My eyes now look the way they did before my AN surgery, and that is a thrill after two years of looking at myself with a sagging right lower eyelid.  ;D
2.2cm AN
Translab 9/30/03

wind6

• Winch Wench ;)
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2005, 08:40:13 pm »
Wonderful, wonderful news Terri. I am so happy for you. I am only four months into this so I can only imagine what a great feeling it is to have a little more of yourself back.
I have the gold bar and they did a slight lowerlid tuck. It helps me sooo much but, I am starting to think my lowerlid is drooping a bit again. I notice I am having to add lubricant more often and it feels like I have pooling at the bottom. I see my plastic surgeon again on January 4th so maybe he can offer a little more help then.
I am glad you posted your good news...helps me keep my faith, hope and courage strong.
                                                                                     Sherry
2.5cm x 3.1cm facial nerve neuroma
removed 8-2-2005(retrosigmoid)
St.Johns Hospital-Springfield,Illinois
Dr.Michael McIlhany and Dr.Carol Bauer
Wait n' watch mode for 8 years.
Gamma Knife at Northwestern Memorial Hospital. Chicago,IL. Dr. James P. Chandler. July 10, 2013.