Author Topic: Shiva's Mom - Update  (Read 2695 times)

Shiva

Shiva's Mom - Update
« on: June 05, 2008, 04:53:13 am »
Folks,

Sorry for not updating from the hospital (didn't take my laptop).  Voooo...My moms X-Knife (LINAC) procedure went very very smooth @Apollo speciality hospital in chennai. On Wednesday morning, they put her head frame by giving mild anesthesia and then took her for the CT Scan. It took abt 45 minutes and then She came back to the room for lunch with the head frame. She said it was painful having those injections (totally 4 - 2 on the front & 2 on the back). It was almost after 3 hrs they took her back to the LINAC room. During this time, I think the doctors were planning & simulating using the data from CT Scan I believe. I was waiting outside the LINAC room praying god. Exactly after an hour she came back...looked so drowsy, tired and they took her to another room where they removed her head frame.  She is back in her room in the next 30 minutes.  The doctors said everything went very well and she was very cooperative. They gave her pain killing tablets for pain on the screwed areas. She said she is feeling normal other than that pain on the screwed areas and feeling as if she is still carring the head frame. Guess what...she says she is able to hear on the left ear (which has the deafness)...I know earing is irreversible, but when I asked abt it, the doctor just smiled...She slept very nicely throughout the night and today she got discharged & just 5 minutes back we reached home and Iam typing this info. She is absolutely in normal condition (no vomiting, guidness etc). She is on normal diet.  There is a followup in abt 3 months time. I requested for the CT Scan data which they have used for the RS but nurses said those are for doctors diagnostic purposes and they will not give those data. Anyone who did radio surgery got these datas from the doctor office ????

Folks, thanks..thanks...thanks... for all your prayers and I take this moment to thank Dr.L.Murugan (Neurosurgeon) & Dr. Rathnadevi (Radiologist) for their excellent support, service, information and kindness in answering my silly 1000 questions (I have to thank anausa.org which made me to ask those questions :-)).  Now, we have to wait for next 3 or 6 months until we get the next MRI report.

Will keep u updated....
For my mom Aged 65 (31-Jan-1943)
First MRI 02-Apr-2008, 16mm AP x 22mm ML x 16mm CC (about 2.2cm), Left ear deafness
LINAC (XKnife) - 04-Jun-2008, Apollo Speciality Hospital Chennai, India with Dr.L.Murugan (Neurosurgeon) & Dr.Ratnadevi (Radiologist).

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
Re: Shiva's Mom - Update
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 05:11:20 am »
I've been following your posts in the past and wanted to say "thank you" for the update on your mother.  I'm very glad all is going well for her and happy she has hearing!  What a blessing!  All the best for you and your mom from her on out and may your days be filled with good health, peace and love.
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2008, 06:54:36 am »
Shiva -

thank you so much for the wonderful update.

Please let your mother know that we are all very happy things are turning out well for her  :)

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2008, 06:58:23 am »
Hi, Shiva:

Congratulations to your mom for coming through the procedure so well.  Prayers have definitely been answered.

Thanks for your comprehensive, informative update, too.  May your mom's recovery be as uncomplicated as hertreatment has been. :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Nicole222

• Nicole, Mommy to Jordan
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2008, 07:29:28 am »
Great news!  So glad to hear everything went well and that she is now at home :)  Thanks for the update!
Had surgery (retrosigmoid) May 9th, 2008 to remove a 3.5cm AN from left side.
Home one week later, no facial nerve damage. 
SSD -Left ear.
Thankful daily for fantastic surgeons and wonderful family and friends.
34 years old.  Married mommy to Jordan, 23 months.

sgerrard

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2008, 09:04:19 am »
Excellent.

Shiva, thanks for updating, and for being such a great help to your mother. You get some brownie points for this one. :)

It is wonderful that your mother picked up a little hearing. It does happen from time to time. It may not last, but even so, a little bonus is always nice to get. I am glad she got through it all so well, I bet she is relieved and feeling happy about the result.

Good job! Get some rest yourself, and when you fly back from India, pick a safe airplane. :)

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

cmp

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2008, 09:11:44 am »
Get some rest yourself, and when you fly back from India, pick a safe airplane.

Yes, indeed!

thanks for the update, Shiva--so glad to hear your Mom is doing well and that some of her hearing has actually returned!

Best wishes for her continued recovery and good health...  :)
5 cm AN surgery, Shands Hospital, FL, Dr Albert Rhoton, 1988; VII-XII anastamosis for right-sided facial palsy 1989; diagnosed Feb 2008 w/ 1.8 cm recurrence; drs McKenna & Martuza; surgery rescheduled for 6/24/08!

lori67

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2008, 09:27:25 am »
Shiva -

Thanks for the update on your Mom.  I'm so glad she's doing well.  I know that all the support you have given her definitely helped.  I'm sure she's very proud of her daughter! 

Wish her well from all of us!
Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2008, 07:01:47 pm »
Shiva-

I was so happy to read your update on your mom's procedure - thanks so much for letting us all know.  You must be so releived!  Tell your mom she has lots of friends here who are cheering her on - and also cheering on her wonderful daughter.

All good things to you and your family,
Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

Shiva

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2008, 03:03:07 pm »
Finally..made it to US last week.  Busy @ work...Mom is doing fine..no probs so far...but the left hearing that I said she was able to hear..that was just temporary...But she is normal and no complications/side effects so far...
For my mom Aged 65 (31-Jan-1943)
First MRI 02-Apr-2008, 16mm AP x 22mm ML x 16mm CC (about 2.2cm), Left ear deafness
LINAC (XKnife) - 04-Jun-2008, Apollo Speciality Hospital Chennai, India with Dr.L.Murugan (Neurosurgeon) & Dr.Ratnadevi (Radiologist).

lori67

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2008, 03:24:30 pm »
Great news!  Thanks for letting us know!

Welcome back and I hope your Mom stays well!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2008, 05:05:10 pm »
Shiva -

thanks for the update.  Glad your mom is doing well. 

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

wendysig

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2008, 05:38:13 am »
Shiva -
Sorry to know that your mom's hearing retention was only temporary, but the rest is great news!  I  was glad to hear she had no complications.  Hope her recorey continues to go smoothly.

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!