Author Topic: How can you drive?  (Read 5114 times)

Kaybo

Re: How can you drive?
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2008, 06:19:59 pm »
David~
I don't know how I missed this thread.  I don't know how long it was before I drove but it was a LONG time.  I went back to work in March at 3 months and I really don't think I drove for the rest of that school year (end of May).  I was in stroke therapy in downtown Austin and the friend that drove me to school with her also took me downtown 2-3 times/week (the principal let us leave early!).  At therapy (NOT vestibular) they had a simulator that I had to use and be able to "pass" it (response time) before I could drive again.  I use my mirrors TONS now, but I drive at all hours of the day, all the time - I'm a soccer mom - what can I say??

I have a friend here who had an AN removed about the time I did (I met her at the beauty shop - she is much older) and she does not drive.  She & I were talking about the public transportation that she uses (I think it is for handicapped, but I could be wrong - I will ask her) but they pick her up at her house and take her WHERE EVER she wants for $1.50!!  With the price of gas, I may check into that = you think they's take the girlies??  I check on that if I were you..

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

LADavid

« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2008, 12:16:47 pm »
Hi Kay

I have been quite adept in the use of Public Trasportation.  I live in the city and am only blocks from the train system.  I can take the train to see my daughter in Long Beach (a 70 mile round trip) for only $5.  I'm on a busline and I can ride buses all day anywhere I want to go for $5.  When last I drove, the day before my surgery 7 months ago, gas was $2.95 a gallon.  I saw a sign for regular gas in LA the other day for $4.98.  I'm starting to get used to this.  And since my acting career is over for at least the next 18 months, I think I can deal with it.

The inability to drive though has been a concern.  I regularly bring it up with my vestibular PT and she just says things will happen in their own time and I will know when I can drive.  As it is, I still have a great deal of difficulty processing movement around me in the outside world -- sensory overload.

David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

Tamara

« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2008, 08:04:22 pm »
When I first read your question, it occurred to me that I'm sure I wouldn't be driving if I lived in LA.  Heck, I hate driving Chicago.  I had surgery on June 12, and started driving (all of 5 blocks to Walgreens) last Sunday.  I tackled the interstate on Wednesday.  The only issues I have are turning my head, due to both the Wonky Head feeling and the pulling of the hundreds (OK, maybe not quite that many) of staples in my head.  My advice is to take it slow - drive like a granny if you have to (and if you can in LA).  I am.  Take someone in the car with you so that if it gets to be too much, you can switch.  Is there somewhere you can drive slowly, like a parkway?

Part of what you need to fix is getting your eyes to work together to get a signal to your brain to replace what you've lost.  I believe that most of you know that I have a disabled daughter - I've done a lot of vestibular work (among other things) with her over the past 7 years.  I can recommend a group if you are interested that may be able to help you with vestibular activities.  They primarily work with children, but also work with adults with brain injuries.  PM me if you are interested.  The reason that I use this program with Anna is that it addresses neurological issues, not just things traditionally done in therapy.

Best wishes, David,
Tammy
7 mm AN left side
translab 6-12-08
postop issues including CSF leak, eye issues, and facial palsy.  All issues resolved at 9 mos. except slight facial palsy & weakness.  Continuing to improve...