Author Topic: surgery then cyberknife, is it okay to fly?  (Read 4785 times)

kelli

surgery then cyberknife, is it okay to fly?
« on: May 20, 2008, 04:59:00 pm »
Hi everyone,
I had surgery in Dec and cyberknife a month ago.  I'm curious if it is ok to get on an airplane after the radiation?  Has flying been a problem for anyone?  I want to take a vacation to rest but I'm not sure if flying is a good idea with the headaches and dizziness I've been experiencing post treatment. 
Thank you,
kelli
Diagnosed 3cm AN January 2007
Tried holistic treatments for one year. Finally had posterior fossa at Kaiser Redwood City with Dr. Nutik on Dec 20. Followed by cyberknife at Stanford in April for residual tumor.
Thank you Dr. Nutik!

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: surgery then cyberknife, is it okay to fly?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2008, 05:48:23 pm »
Hey Kelli,

I know of many here that flew short term post-CK and a bit farther out. In my case, I flew 8 mos post CK.... did transatlantic to the UK.  Not sure how long a flight you are doing but in my case... ear fullness was an issue due to cabin air pressure. I know of some (where is Marystro?) that were doing transpacific post-CK and did ok (if memory serves me well, I believe she did CA to India or Korea or Far east or ?).  Hoping others will chime in to help.

If you do go away, pls send me a postcard! I've not traveled on holiday/vaca like that in years.  :)

Bon voyage, should you decide to make the trip!
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

sgerrard

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2008, 10:17:14 pm »
Hi Kelli,

I would say that if you survived brain surgery and cyberknife, you should be able to survive an airplane ride. :)

I flew home from San Francisco to Portland - a 1 hour flight - about 2 days after my last CK treatment. Whether flying will cause you issues depends on your particular symptoms at the time. I would think ear pressure would be the main thing.

It seems to me it would be worth it - a nice restful vacation on a sandy beach or some other getaway sounds like a great idea.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2008, 05:33:09 am »
Yes -- go on vacation!!! (can I come!)  flying is no problem at all .... I flew just 3 weeks after surgery - from LA to NYC -- without issue
about 1+ years later .. when on a NYC - Heathrow England -  Italy Rome vacation !!!! No problems at all  ;D  ;D    I did have to explain the eye drops... (the No Liquids rule just started  while I was traveling....)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 05:41:12 am by Joef »
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

Lorenzo

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2008, 08:51:59 am »
:)  I flew back home from San Francisco to Ireland after a 3 week break in CA following CK. No problems, or at least none I didn't have before. So, go fly. Headaches I had at the time were still the same after flying, not any better nor worse.

Ciao, Lorenzo
CK, Stanford, Drs Chang and Hancock, Dec 04,
doing great now.

bpham

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2008, 03:51:50 pm »
I flew to Asia after surgery 2 months later.  The trip was about 18 hours and it was OK, no issue.
1cm AN on the left side.  Surgery was on Oct 2007 at HEI.  Currently having issue with it, may be a CFS leak.  Not feeling too well.

kelli

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2008, 04:19:59 pm »
Thank you all for your replies :)
I feel much more confident about flying now.
I am planning a short trip to LA soon to visit friends.
Thank you very much,
kelli
Diagnosed 3cm AN January 2007
Tried holistic treatments for one year. Finally had posterior fossa at Kaiser Redwood City with Dr. Nutik on Dec 20. Followed by cyberknife at Stanford in April for residual tumor.
Thank you Dr. Nutik!

oregon

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2008, 10:02:19 am »
To kelli,
how did you deciide to have CK versus more surgery or other radiosurgery options.? Orgeon