Author Topic: Post-Op Fatigue vs Asthma--Need Help Sorting them out!  (Read 2458 times)

cmp

Post-Op Fatigue vs Asthma--Need Help Sorting them out!
« on: July 11, 2008, 12:56:21 pm »
I'm finding myself, at 18 days post op, in some ways feeling more rather than less wiped out than even last week, and am trying to figure out how much of this is an asthma attack and how much is just normal post-op fatigue. Can those of you not too far out from your surgeries describe the arc of your fatigue (in terms of length of duration, way it showed up day to day, etc)?

I'm do know that I'm having an asthma flare-up (woke short of breath at 3 am last night despite ramping up my meds according to my official "asthma management plan" yesterday), but I also have a pretty embarrassing track record of difficulty identifying/responding to symptoms (I cracked a rib coughing 2 summers ago before even suspecting my asthma was anywhere in the vicinity...).

Biggest issues now are how winded I get just standing up, through huge chunks of the day. I had ramped up to walking a mile and a half or so twice a day and now even half a mile is feeling like a Herculean effort (not to mention getting started in the morning, or making it through a shower without seeing stars--thank goodness for the built-in bench!)

My healing is coming along so well otherwise that I'm wondering if what I'm feeling is normal for this point in time or not (no balance issues, just frequent dizziness/windedness when I stand). Am I just being unreasonably impatient?

I would call the allergist who manages my asthma, but I know the test she always begins with to assess me (spirometry?) requires an extremely forceful exhalation I wouldn't want to risk now (for fear of springing a CSF leak...)

Thanks for any perspective you can provide!
Carrie
5 cm AN surgery, Shands Hospital, FL, Dr Albert Rhoton, 1988; VII-XII anastamosis for right-sided facial palsy 1989; diagnosed Feb 2008 w/ 1.8 cm recurrence; drs McKenna & Martuza; surgery rescheduled for 6/24/08!

Sammict

Re: Post-Op Fatigue vs Asthma--Need Help Sorting them out!
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 01:38:45 pm »
Hi Carrie

I haven't had surgery yet I am stilling waiting on a date. But i have severe Asthma. I had surgery on my ear drum about a month ago and one thing I noticed was the pain medication would aggrivate my asthma. It could be just me that I have a bad reaction to pain meds.

I don't know if I helped any but I would call your doctor you don't want to mess around with your breathing.

Sam

Cheryl R

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008, 02:40:43 pm »
Carrie,  Fatigue can be worse as we become more active but your asthma sounds like it has really exacerbated and think you should tell your dr.        I had to do the incentive spirometry this last springs surgery with as deep a breath as I could since I had the brain swelling problem so don't think you could not be checked out esp since you will most likely not be doing a real deep breath at this time.   You could explain to the dr what you have just been thru.             Had you been on steroids at home and now off of them as wonder if that could be part of it also and maybe you will need some.                      Do you do any home nebulizer treatments?
          Sounds like you do need checked out.
    I will add that my daughters Lasik eye surgery did go well and by the time they came to get the grandkids today felt even very little blurriness and pain and had better vision.         Grandma is just now tired and glad to be able to walk thru my house with no toys all over the floor.        Very sweet kids though.       
                                                  Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

cmp

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2008, 05:40:18 pm »
Thanks very much for your responses, Sam and Cheryl--

I did contact my allergist's office and spoke with her nurse (doc herself is on vacation till late next week), and she thought what I was describing definitely sounded asthma-like vs just fatigue. To prep me for anaesthesia, in the weeks prior to surgery the doc had me increase # of daily puffs of my steroid-based inhaler (Pulmicort); I was told I could discontinue the Pulmicort in the hospital while I was on the Decadron since they both control swelling. The mistake I made, it seems, was dropping back down to my 1X/day year-round maintenance dose when I went back on the Pulmicort after leaving the hospital. So now I'm up to 3 puffs a day and Xopenex every 4 hrs between as needed, with my fingers crossed it's all easy breathing (and climbing energy levels!) from here on in...

Asthma stinks!

thanks again, and I'm so glad to hear your daughter is enjoying the benefits of her surgery already, Cheryl (and that you have your uncluttered floors back!)

Carrie

5 cm AN surgery, Shands Hospital, FL, Dr Albert Rhoton, 1988; VII-XII anastamosis for right-sided facial palsy 1989; diagnosed Feb 2008 w/ 1.8 cm recurrence; drs McKenna & Martuza; surgery rescheduled for 6/24/08!

Cheryl R

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2008, 09:37:25 am »
How is the breathing doing today?            Your need for the drug change sounds very logical and hope it will do the job for you.          I am glad you did call and tell the drs office of your problem.
                                           Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

cmp

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2008, 11:02:51 am »
Much, much better, Cheryl--thanks for asking! I have a much clearer sense today of what's asthma-related (and much improved) and surgery-related (ditto!)

I'm usually very resistant to taking meds in the first place, much less upping doses of them, but in this case it was absolutely the right thing to do...

Have a great weekend!
Carrie

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2008, 12:15:03 pm »
Carrie-

Just saw your post and Cheryl and Sam's responses.  I am glad that the change in meds seems to be making a difference - and it makes a lot of sense that the asthma would be wearing you out.  I only have allergies, and they whomp my "behind" sometimes! 

I also wonder if you experienced some extra fatigue as a result of being off the Decadron.  I went through a big surge of fatigue after I tapered off the steroids - concerned me enough at the time that I called Dr. R and he confirmed that the fatigue was probably just what I suspected - steroid withdrawal!  I think the steroids amp you up so much that you have artificial energy - when you come off of them, you get back to what your body is really feeling - if that makes sense?

Hope you continue to feel better.  And, also hope that the recent hot/humid weather in the NE clears out soon.

Debbi, sending you hugs and good thoughts
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

cmp

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2008, 01:44:51 pm »
Debbi--

Actually, I was only on the Decadron while in the hospital (plus two days prior to surgery), so I don't think it was the drop from that medication per se, but the drop to practically NO steroids at all (I caught the beginning of this flareup around the time of my 2 week followup appt, but didn't medicate enough to compensate, I think!)

I do remember my allergist mentioning that anaesthesia makes your lungs swell (which is why they don't want to administer it to someone with uncontrolled asthma), so I'm guessing that was at the root of my trouble here.

Usually my asthma kicks in after a cold or bout of allergies, and the giveaway symptom (though I don't always pick up even on THAT!) is a persistent, bronchitis-like cough. This intense shortness of breath is a new on me, though. Glad I'm getting it under control, whew!

thanks much for your good thoughts!

Carrie