Author Topic: back to work post surgery  (Read 4526 times)

oHIo

Re: back to work post surgery
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2008, 09:19:22 pm »
Jan,
You are too kind.  I was pretty freaked out initially when the doctor told me he would not release me to go back to work at four weeks because he certainly wouldn't want me to take care of him at that stage of my recovery.  My work is both mentally and physically challenging and I had some cognitive issues due to a high dose steroid reaction.  (I know, what complication didn't I have?)  ;)  I knew he was right, but somehow had it in my head I was going back at four weeks.  I tend to be a bit stubborn when I get something in my head.  ;D

The nurses at the hospital were amazing.  I received excellent, compassionate care, even when I was confused and most likely not so nice to them.  (I work at a diferent hospital, so no one knew me, but I do plan to return there to thank them when I start to look a little more normal--which will be soon.) 

My co-workers, all nurses, have been truly amazing and supportive during my recovery.  They have celebrated my successes, especially my facial movement, right along with me.  They even got my joke when I told them I needed something like I needed another hole in my head.

I have follow up visits with most of my doctors in August.  I think they will be happy with my progress. 

To those who are contemplating treatment...do not let my story of complications scare you out of making the choice to treat your AN.  In spite of everything, I am doing well and would choose the exact same treatment, doctors, and hospital without question. 

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2008, 06:41:31 pm »
I tend to be a bit stubborn when I get something in my head.  ;D

oHIo -

sounds like you and I have a lot in common!  :D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

chocolatetruffle

« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2008, 09:41:51 pm »
hello kelsi, i went back to work after 12 weeks.  Initially i was given 8 weeks by my insurance and doctors, but i was not ready to go back. I needed extra time to heal both mentally and physically as I still had "wonky head" challenges and had to learn how to manage my SSD.  I had to go through a tedious process with my insurance for that 1 month extension, it was rejected at first and i had to appeal - they finally gave it to me.  I wished i had anticipated the extra 4 weeks and asked for it in advance - but i guess you never can plan for such things  ;) 

Anyway, the medical extension battle was well worth it and I was glad I fought for it.  As a result,  i was able to integrate back to my work routine quite well, except for fatigue in late afternoons (I had a desk job).  My co-workers were really considerate and my boss was flexible and supportive with my hours, which also helps.  Now i just have to figure out if that is my phone ringing!!!  ;D
chocolatetruffle

2.8 cm left AN
Translab @ House/St Vincent's 11/27/07
Drs. Brackmann, Schwartz, Wilkinson, Stefan

satman

« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2008, 10:49:34 am »
in regards to juliew4, i cant say i have the most demanding job but i work for abc news [media,i know]
i chase tornados,murderers,hurricanes,etc..... even though i came back to work 7 months to the day i still worked inside for
5 months before i even tried to get back on the satellite truck chasing bad types and storms.
now i am back in full force and it's  been a year and 3 months.
now with my new goggles, house fires and hurricanes dont bother me anymore, yet i still look funny,ha,ha.
one must find the humor in things..........
kicked my little 8cm buddy to the curb-c ya !