Author Topic: Kathleen McCracken - Latest Update  (Read 1591 times)

Kathleen5306

Kathleen McCracken - Latest Update
« on: August 01, 2008, 09:04:15 pm »
 Hi Kathleen's Friends (although I feel like you're my friends now too!)-

I spoke with Kathleen twice today and I am so overwhelmed at how great she is doing.  Less than 48 hours after her surgery, she is:

1) off oxygen
2) been cleared to walk anywhere and everywhere she can ( always accompanied), although she is still dragging her IV
3) expecting to be off the IV tomorrow
4)hopeful that her pain medication has now been adjusted so that she can sleep comfortably
5)slightly dizzy when she walks but its managable
6) getting her headdress/ear cup removed tomorrow so that she will no longer be sporting the Princess Leah look
7) Hoping to be released to the Seton Hall recovery center on Sunday, with a stay till mid-week when she moves to a hotel

Is she a poster patient or what???  (Sorry if I'm bragging but I'm so happy, and know you are too!)
Right side AN 19 x 9 x 8 treated CK 2002
Stanford Dr. Chang and Dr. Gibbs
Total hearing loss and tinnitus
Tumor has grown since CK treatment
Measures 20 x 13 x 14 June 2008
Translab Surgery HEI 7/30/2008
Dr. Friedman and Dr. Schwartz

wendysig

Re: Kathleen McCracken - Latest Update
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 09:09:34 pm »
Thanks for the update on Kathleen.  She has really been on my mind since I was still in the hospital when she had her surgery and did not have a chanc to touch base with her personally before then.  I'm so glad to hear how well she is doing and hope you will give her my best wishes

Sending happy.healing thoughts to Kathleen, fingers and toes all crossed for her!
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008, 09:35:05 pm »
Great news!  Thanks for keeping us updated!  Some hospitals may be different, but I didn't get my IV out until right before I was released.  I was on steroids with it (tapered off) until the day I was let go.  So, don't be surprised if she has the IV longer.  I'm glad she's getting headress thing off.  I could never get comfortable until they took mine off.  She definitely is a poster patient!  She's recovering nicely! That's great news!

Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2008, 06:12:41 am »
All of the most recent news you posted is good and I'm very happy to hear this.  May you have continued days of healing and take it slow! 
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2008, 06:48:36 am »
Hi, Maggie:

Thanks for the latest update on Kathleen's excellent recovery.  She is an encouragement to many and your posts relaying her progress continue to inform and enthuse many.  You're a good friend to Kathleen and we consider you one of us, now.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2008, 08:55:10 am »
Maggie -

brag away - it's hard not to with such wonderful news!  :D

From what I remember of my own post op experience, just having the lovely "head dress" removed is a great feeling.  Kathleen will be feeling infinitely better very soon; everyday will bring progress. 

Please tell Kathleen we are thinking of her and anxious to "see" her back here when she's feeling up to posting again.

Thanks for the update,

Jan 
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways