Author Topic: CSF Leak  (Read 2237 times)

rsteph

CSF Leak
« on: August 09, 2008, 01:57:06 pm »
Russell had trans lab on Tues 8/5 11 hours surgery. Some facial paralysis and vestibular nerve was not compromised, so he is learning to walk. Was very dizzy, but it is subsiding. On Thurs he was coughing during the night and had CSF leak from his nose about 12Noon on Fri. Lumbar drain was put in 7:30P Fri night draining 10cc every 4 hours. He was feeling a bit strange on Fri, but they gave him morphine and adavan before the drain was inserted. He rested well. The steroids have him wired most nights.
Today they increased the drain to 15cc every 4 hours because he feels the draining in his throat and a little blood. They anticipate 3-5 more days in the hospital. Anyone with CSF experiences on what to do and to expect please reply. We are not sure about the nurses experiences here. Thank you!

3.7 cm AN Translab Aug 08' 100 percent removal UT Southwestern - CSF leak, Bacterial Meningitus. Rt side Facial Paralysis.  Partial facial movement returned 11 months post op.  Still healing

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
Re: CSF Leak
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2008, 02:06:49 pm »
Hi Janice-

I just sent you a PM, before I read this post from you.  Didn't realize that Russell was still in the hospital.  If you have ANY concerns about his care, definitely call his surgeon and discuss it with him/ner - don't feel like you are imposing!  And don't worry about it being a weekend - I don't think brain surgeons aknowlege weekends ...  ;)

I'll keep Russell in my thoughts and prayers - let me know how he's doing, okay?

Debbi, sending you good wishes from NJ
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2008, 02:28:29 pm »
Thanks Janice.  We are all interested in Russell's recovery.  We appreciate that you are posting for him. I am sending hugs, prayers and good, healing thoughts.  And Debbi is right--ask for attention, be his advocate in the hospital.
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

stevek

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2008, 05:37:44 pm »
Sorry to hear Russell has the leak.  I had the leak back in June.  He will be fine.  The nurses most likely went over everything with you.  Check my profile for my email if you would like to ask any questions from my experience.  Make sure he doesn't get up without asking for a clamp.
Diagnosed 5/14/08   4cmx2.8cmx3.1cm
16 hr. Translab 6/9/08
Spinal Fluid Leak 6/12, under control & released 6/16
Dr. Hillman, Dr.Chen, & Dr. Aziz @ Allegheny General in Pitt.
2cm regrowth treated with Stereotactic Radiosurgery & released 6/8/11
Dr. Fuhrer, Dr. Chen, & Dr. Hillman @ AGH

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2008, 07:30:08 pm »
As far as I know, Russell is still in the hospital.  Of course he was able to email me so he must be improving.  That's all I know for now. Maybe Janice will post again?
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

lacey7

• Prayer means everything to me.
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2008, 08:16:18 pm »
I had CSF leak a week after my surgery.  I agree with the other posts, ask his surgeon any questions you might have.  They redid the surgery with me the next morning, to put in more packing, to stop the draining.  I had to lay 5 days with the drain in, after the second surgery.  Had to lay flat, only 1 inch pillow....and could not move.
The doctor did say I could sit up just to eat after the 4th day.....but they did have to clamp the drain.
I think that's the hardest part......to lay flat and not move.  I wish him the best, and I'm sure he will do fine in a few days.
Lacey
Diagnosed 4/15/08.
AN - 1.4 cm.  Translab surgery 6-26-08.  SPF leak 7-5-08, and went back into surgery 7 -6-08.
SSD left side, after surgery
Dr. LaRoure - Providence Hospital, Southfield, MI.