Author Topic: Need to enter workforce after 10+ years off. Help!  (Read 1431 times)

kippy6

Need to enter workforce after 10+ years off. Help!
« on: August 17, 2008, 09:05:20 pm »
Okay. I've been out of the work force for 10+ years. I had my AN surgery 2 years ago, and I now need to step back into the work force. As far as my AN goes, I've adjusted fine, and have no complaints. In looking for a job, my main limitation right now is that I need to be back home by the time my children get home from school.

I thought about being a substitute teacher at first, to see if I'd like the classroom environment, and perhaps going back to school long enough to get my teaching certificate (I have a BA in English and Psychology). That way I could be at home by the time my children get home from school. However, I am concerned about being able to concentrate in a noisy environment, as it seems difficult even here at home when I'm trying to read or write with the children talking in the same room. But I have a friend who had AN surgery, and she's a teacher, and she said you get used to the noise in a classroom environment. But she did not have translab, so she does have partial hearing in one of her ears...I wonder if that makes a difference.

Any of you out there re-entering the workforce after several years off? What are you doing now? I kind of wish now I would have pursued either the Health field or Education in college.
AN surgery July 19, 2006
for 3cm AN and arachnoid cyst (right side)
Translab surgical approach
Dr. Brackmann and Dr. Hitselberger
House Ear Insititute

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
Re: Need to enter workforce after 10+ years off. Help!
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2008, 11:05:11 pm »
I haven't been off work for 10+ years, but I can tell you that SSD isn't as bad as it seems even in noisy environments.  I work in an office environment, but it's pretty fast paced and busy most of the time.  If ya can stand to be around rugrats for that long, more power to ya! ;)  What's preventing you from doing what you did before (10+ years ago)?  I would think that children are much more understanding and accomodating with something that is different.  I don't see why you wouldn't be able to do it.  Sure, it may take some time to get used to it, but you should be able to do it.  I think substituting is a great idea to see if ya like that!

Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

Jill Marie

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2008, 11:55:31 pm »
You can do it!  I quit working in 1979, had two boys, then facial nerve surgery in 1992 just as I was planning on going back to work part time.  I have SSD, can't smile (nice grin though), use eye ointment every 5 to 15 minutes.  My husband's union went on strike in 1995, we both went to the employment office and I applied for a job.  Hadn't driven since the surgery so I was concerned about how to get to work, whether someone would hire me with a semi functioning face and an eye that needed ointment all the time.  I was so scared that I almost became sick to my stomach.  I got an interview for the first job I applied for and then got the call - can you come to work next week!  I was both elated and scared to death at the same time.  The job was parttime, 9 to 3, perfect for getting the kids to school and their when they got home again.  I would be doing clerical work at a metal recyling company, what they neglected to tell me was that I had to go to the bank and post office several times a week.  That's when my husband and I decided I needed to get back behind the wheel.  I was nervous at first but in no time at all it all came back to me and boy did I love the freedom it gave me and my husband loved the freedom it gave him, we started sharing the boys rides to soccer practices, etc.  Work is noisy, phones ringing, customers vehicles pulling up to be weighed, customers at the counter, and the sounds of metal being dumped into boxes.  I was working there a few years before they found out I was SSD, now they know why I sometimes didn't answer them when they told me something.  I've been there 13 years and now work 40 hours a week as the boys are grown up now.   Yes, it's different for us now then before the surgery so we have to adjust but we can do it!  Goodluck, Jill Marie
Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2008, 08:18:26 am »
You can totally do this!  As a former teacher, I can tell you that if you tell the kids a little bit about your situation they will do their best to be accommodating.  Of course, kids will be kids so it won't work all the time, but I think it will be pretty effective.  When I was teaching I was also performing (singing) so on some days I would go in and not be able to use my voice very much.  They were so good about it most of the time.  Good luck!
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

kippy6

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2008, 08:32:21 am »
Thanks guys for your support. I used to be a Technical Writer. But I only worked about 5 years out of college, then started having children and decided to be a stay at home mom instead. So a lot has changed over the years. I only worked for the one company...
« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 08:36:06 am by kippy6 »
AN surgery July 19, 2006
for 3cm AN and arachnoid cyst (right side)
Translab surgical approach
Dr. Brackmann and Dr. Hitselberger
House Ear Insititute