Author Topic: update 10 weeks post surgery  (Read 3412 times)

calimama

update 10 weeks post surgery
« on: August 15, 2008, 07:54:10 pm »
I tried posting this but had some troubles, not sure if it worked... so i cut and paste and here it is again...

I think i am about 10 weeks from surgery although i seem to have lost track of time...
Anyway i wanted to post an update about where i have been, and where i am at now. I try to check this site every few days and see what's up, so i am still around!

So today i did my first run since surgery. I am still having double vision so i am wearing an eye patch, and though my balance is good (and has been since getting out of the hospital) i was happy to have the support of the jogging stroller i took Cali out in. I didn't run too much (perhaps only 10 min) and walked here and there for the rest of the 25min, but then again i think i have lost a lot of cardio fitness since i stoped running regularly when winter hit last year. ANYWAY, i was slow but steady. Felt fine, good. I have been so keen to run again. I recall laying in hospital for a week, one eye closed, the other permanently open, bad hair, and all that... and i took such pride in telling the nurses that i was "a runner", even a marathon runner (i ran NYC, and about a dozen half marathons) and i remember thinking that i would run again. And i did, well it's a start. I am now thinking that maybe i can do the 5km run for breast cancer research at the end of september (the "run for the cure" here in Toronto). I did it last year, my first "race" since having a baby in March last year.

I have seen two different opthamolgists, with the latter one telling me to come back at 3 months post surgery (early september) for some testing to try to sort out my double vision (DV). The first one i saw told me that i could consider surgery after 6 months if the DV does not fix. I really hope it does not come to that, but at this point i don't have much sense that it will get better. Perhaps i am one of those "rare" cases of DV that never improves. Gosh i hope not... I don't even wear glasses. I have been spoiled with great vision until now!

I had a planned/routine CT scan last week (to check for any fluid issues... nothing, all good) and then was to meet with the n.surgeon who i had on June 2 surgery. This was to be my first follow up since leaving hospital. Unfortunately the surgeon went on medical leave (6 months, i think it's a bad diagnosis) the day before. So i meet with his replacement, which didn't help me much as she was not there for my surgery. I am now planning to get a follow-up with another of the surgeons who was there. I really want to understand what might have happened to cause the  DV.

Anyway, other than this horrible DV (which does not bother me much as i wear a patch, so really it's the patch that bugs me!) and the facial paralysis (which the N.surgeon i meet last week said should improve based on only some weakness right after surgery... what a blur that was!), i am doing well. My incision has healed nicely, my hair is growing fast (though with long hair no one can even tell they shaved a bit patch of my head!). I am not having headaches, balance issues, fatigue, pain. Recovery has gone well i think. I am planning to return to work at the beginning of September, patch and all.

I hope that the doctors i see in September can give me some answers about 'where to from here', but in the mean time, i am just grateful to have the decision process and surgery behind me. As tough as the post surgery process has been (though  i didn't have it too bad), I really think it was worse before when i was dealing with the diagnosis, decision making process (surgery vs. rads), and then waiting for surgery. It's good to be on the other side of this thing, even if it comes with facial/eye issues.

Like many say, one day at a time.

Good things to you all.

Trish
Left 2.9cm CP Angle AN discovered Jan 2008. Retrosig surgery June 2, 2008 Toronto, Canada. Facial paralysis and numbness, double vision (4th nerve), SSD. DV totally recovered in 4th month; palsy started to recover slowly around month 7. Had twin boys 13 months after surgery. Doing great.

sgerrard

Re: update 10 weeks post surgery
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2008, 11:11:34 pm »
Hi Trish,

Well things sound a little better, anyway. The run/walk is a good sign. Doing 5 km in September would be amazing. Actually just going back to work in September will be a big milestone to reach.

I don't know what is up with the double vision, maybe the 6th nerve got tweaked somehow? I would think it is similar to the facial nerve, and can return to normal function over time. There is still reason to be hopeful. I am curious if you switch eyes during the day? I assume that you can cover either eye, is that right?

I really hope this thing clears up one of these days/weeks/months. Take care,

Steve

8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2008, 11:27:05 pm »
Wow Trish,

You are doing so well.  Keep it up.  An amazing story and recovery.

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

calimama

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2008, 06:24:36 am »
Steve, 

Thanks for your reply.d
I was wondering about the cause of DV myself (not feeling like i got any kind of real explanation from the doctors i saw). Based on research last night I have decided that the problem is with the 4th nerve (based on descriptions i read of how this would manifest...specifically vertical distortions that fix when the head is tilted away from the problem side). It sounds like double vision can  result from damage to this nerve even from things like a big bump to the head, accident etc. It also sounds like recovery is usually within 6 months, 1 year at the latest, otherwise surgery is required to fix it (or temporarily, a prism lens in glassess, which i don't wear, but will be investigating!).

What a journery....

Trish
Left 2.9cm CP Angle AN discovered Jan 2008. Retrosig surgery June 2, 2008 Toronto, Canada. Facial paralysis and numbness, double vision (4th nerve), SSD. DV totally recovered in 4th month; palsy started to recover slowly around month 7. Had twin boys 13 months after surgery. Doing great.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2008, 08:06:44 am »
Trish, sending continued healing hugglez your way..... thank you for keeping everyone updated to what is going on... I know its very helpful to others and many are following your "journey".

Please hang in there!
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2008, 08:37:45 am »
Trish -

thank you for the update.  The running is amazing - congratulations!  Running strollers are wonderful; I had a double one when my twins were little.  I bet Cali loves riding in it  :)

Sorry to hear you are still having issues with double-vision.  I hope someone can solve this problem for you soon.

Best wishes,

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2008, 10:16:17 am »
Hi, Trish:

Your update was both informative and quite encouraging.  I'm sure many members appreciated it, including this one.  The double vision must be frustrating and I join the other posters in hoping you can both find the cause and a solution.  Otherwise, as you noted, your recovery is going well as you approach your eleven-week milestone.  The running is awesome, all things considered and attests to your determination as well as your recuperative powers.  Returning to work should not be too difficult unless you're a circus performer who performs a trapeze and high wire act.  ;)  I'll assume that isn't the case and wish you well as you continue your journey to normalcy.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2008, 11:19:33 am »
Trish,

So glad to hear from you.

It is much better being a postie, isn't it. I agree with you when you say:

"I really think it was worse before when i was dealing with the diagnosis, decision making process (surgery vs. rads), and then waiting for surgery. It's good to be on the other side of this thing, even if it comes with facial/eye issues."

Though I don't have the facial issues, I have balance/dizziness and headache issues. Like you said, one day at a time.

I hope you get answers a a solution for the eye issue.

Take care,

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

wendysig

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2008, 05:58:49 pm »
Hi Trish,
Good to hear from you -- I've actually been thinking about you lately.  I am sorry to hear you are still having problmes with double vision and hope someone can help you soon.  THe fact that you are anxious to start running again must be a good sign for the rest of  your recovery through.  I hope you get the answers you are looking for in the next few weeks and that further surgery is not involved.

Best wishes,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2008, 08:50:52 pm »
Trish - So glad that you popped in with an update.  I'm sorry about the double-vision (I don't recall any except for early on), but it sounds like you are taking the right steps to have it addressed.  Your recovery appears to be good.  I'm glad for that!  Good to hear from ya!

Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

calimama

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2008, 06:59:23 am »
Thanks for the nice messages and thinking of me. It is wonderful to have a place to turn where people truly understand and care. Good things to you all.

Trish

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2008, 02:51:13 pm »
Hi Trish-

Just read your post (I've been off line this weekend) - thanks so much for the update.  Other than the double vision (which must be beyond annoying), it sounds like you are doing very well.  It's wonderful that you were able to get out and run, even if only a short distance - big milestone!!

Hope you get some releif on the vision thing when you see your doc in September.  And, hopefully you'll continue to see improvement in your face (I do, small but I'll take it!)

Be well, and stay in touch.

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

calimama

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2008, 06:48:43 pm »
Thanks Debbi .... I check in with your blog from time to see how you are doing. You are such a tropper....

Ditto KAYBO if you are reading this (you are looking great! i showed my hubbie your website).

Trish

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2008, 03:31:05 pm »
Way to go Trish, you are so strong. I have decided to wait until January to go back to work. I am a primary teacher (2 yrs) in Ontario (there are no teaching jobs in Ontario) and had to leave my position early to have my surgery. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs (tubes in ear and tons of antibiotics) then finally found out April 10th and had surgery June 4.  I taught kindergarten and it was a temp job for the entire school year. Anyway long story short I need to apply for every position temp or permanent and I don't feel very confident with the stupid eye and face thing. I think I am getting more used to the face but am never going to get used to the PITA eye.
Great to hear your update Trish.
Michelle  ;D
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.