Author Topic: HR Issue with Medical Leave Indescretions?  (Read 1353 times)

Dog Lover

• My little Sammie Roo.
HR Issue with Medical Leave Indescretions?
« on: August 18, 2008, 05:24:06 pm »

And I was in SUCH a good mood on the way into work this morning....
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 08:56:45 pm by Dog Lover »
Cathy
9mm x 3mm Left Side AN
Mid Fossa Aug. 21, 2008
Dr. Gantz / Dr. Woodson
Univ. of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics
No facial issues, hearing saved, I keep active and feel back to normal.

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
Re: HR Issue with Medical Leave Indescretions?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2008, 07:04:26 pm »
You know, the folks at my office took care of emailing everyone and I was fine with that.  I work in a college so I asked that the students not be emailed until after surgery, so that they wouldn't worry.  I did not see the email that was sent but I was fine with that. I think it's because there is more of a collaborative vibe there.  I did ask that one email only state "surgery" and no specifics because I didn't think the students needed to know unless they asked.  Some have, some not so much.  You know, if you can, look at it this way:  The more people that know, the more that send prayers and thoughts your way.  That's how I felt about it. 

Of course, you have every right to dictate what personal/medical information is given out and if you need HR's advice I would ask for it and then let your manager know what is legal.  You can do that in a way that is totally non-confrontational. You have to put your energies elsewhere.  You can get mad at him after surgery.

Best,
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

Tamara

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2008, 07:37:00 pm »
You might want to take charge of doing the telling.  It can be simple and to the point - "I have a tumor in my head that is benign, but needs to be removed.  I will/may lose my hearing on one side, and I may have some balance issues after surgery, but hope to be back on the job on (date)."  That's pretty much what I told my co-workers.  Some of them said later that they didn't realize it was as "big" a surgery as it is because I didn't make a big deal about it.  I also agree with Marci - you may be surprised at the well wishes, prayers and support (not to mention prepared dinners, treats and flowers) you get.  Too bad your boss took the lead on it though...it should have been your call regardless.

We'll all be rooting for you
Tammy
7 mm AN left side
translab 6-12-08
postop issues including CSF leak, eye issues, and facial palsy.  All issues resolved at 9 mos. except slight facial palsy & weakness.  Continuing to improve...

sgerrard

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2008, 07:38:58 pm »
I would let this go. People are curious by nature, and will notice that you are gone, and will find out why one way or another. It is a difficult thing to keep under wraps - gossip gets around. I am sometimes astonished at how much I find out about other people at work, without even asking. About the only thing you can do is try to make sure that people get the right information, not some crazy made up story.

Just think of it as better than if you left work for a month and no one noticed you were gone. And by the way, your manager needs to find something better to do.

Best wishes for Thursday,

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

AMD

• I'm sorry, could you repeat that?
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008, 08:12:24 pm »
Hi there,

Sorry to hear you have had to deal with all of this; as if having an AN isn't stressful enough.  Actually, your manager did violate your health privacy, but he may have not know he did.  I work in a hospital, so we are held to a different standard when it comes to things like that, but if it had happened at my work, your boss may have well been fired.  I agree with the others that it may be best to channel your energy and happy thoughts to a road of recovery; especially if you are worried about retribution.  I say, tell people only what you feel comfortable telling them, and in your own time, and your own way.  It is nobody's place to speak for you.  If it bugs you that much, speak to HR, they should back you.  Hope all goes well for you!!!

Amy :)
Left side 1.7 cm AN diagnosed 7/30/08
Misdiagnosed for 8 + years
Surgery, Sub-occipital, 11/17/2008 at Indiana University Hospital
Left SSD
Tumor much larger than expected. Facial nerves intact, but had RARE swelling resulting in brachial plexus injury and tracheostomy after surgery.