Author Topic: facial paralysis and depression  (Read 5834 times)

CROOKEDSMILE

facial paralysis and depression
« on: August 15, 2008, 12:59:36 pm »
I am taking Lexapro 20mg but it doesn't seem to be working very well. Yes I am a wimp and this facial paralysis thing has kicked my butt. I am 13 months post op and really thought I would have more recovery by now and feel like 13 months would be enough to fully or at least be on the road to a nice recovery by now. I would love to see pics of people at 13 months with an intact nerve with some recovery to where I could at least gauge my recovery. I know we are all different but those of us with a stretched nerve have similar recovery rates I would guess. I REALLY am losing sight of things here and was wondering if there is a better drug than Lexapro?

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
Re: facial paralysis and depression
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2008, 01:57:23 pm »
Hey Angie,

Yes, this thing is hard and no, you are not a wimp. Facial paralysis stinks, no two ways about it.

I do want to let you know that I thought you looked pretty good in the pictures you sent me. I would like to look as well as you do, but then I'm nearly a year behind you in recovery time. Don't forget that we are our own worst critic. Also keep in mind that there are instances of great recovery in the two-year time frame.

I don't know for sure about medications, but I do know Wellbutrin works well for some women, and does not have the pesky weight gain side effect of some SSRIs.

When is your next doctor appointment?

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2008, 02:28:17 pm »
Hi Angie,
I am taking 20mg of Prozac. It is working well for me with no side affects. I know I need to mix up my routine or I will go nuts. I went and had my haircut and my toes done and today I feel good. Sunshine and fresh air help, so does exercise (walking counts) get those endorphines rushing and the blood flowing.
I understand, this can get so depressing. I am trying hard to be positive, it does help with healing. I read the Secret and there is a section on healing. They talk over and over again how laughter does and will make you feel better. Go and rent some dumb funny movies, get some popcorn and enjoy. It's worth a try.
I also got this good book: Deadly Emotions, understanding the mind-body-spirit connection that can heal or destroy you. Author is Don Colbert, MD.
Feel better {{{big cyber hug}}}
Michelle  ;D
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

Jeanlea

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2008, 02:38:07 pm »
Hi Angie,

After my surgery in Sept. of 2005 I had complete facial paralysis on my left side.  At three months post-op I had the tiniest bit of movement.  By 13 months I could make a tiny smile.  Now at nearly 3 years I have a fairly good smile.  My picture shows me post-surgery earlier this summer.  I think I had the most return of movement at around 18 months, but I still continue to feel zaps and see more movement still.  I feel good about my face now.  At my 6 month checkup my doctor told me my face wouldn't come back!  Needless to say I was devastated.  So all the movement since then has been fantastic.  I try to focus on the all the things that I am able to do, which is anything I want.  My face is merely  cosmetic.  Okay, it did take me awhile to get to this point in my thinking. :-)  Acceptance of where I am facially has taken some time, but I'm okay with it now.

Hope you continue to see changes.

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2008, 02:58:14 pm »
Jean, that was a very comforting post. Thanks for sharing.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

jazzfunkanne

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2008, 04:49:03 am »
Hi there i am from the uk and there is people on the british site who have seem improvments in there face after 3 years its a very slow and long recovery, you might not even notice the small movements that are taking place other people see it more than us sometimes, hang on in there.
over 4.5cm AN removed dec 06

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2008, 08:40:07 am »
Hi Crookedsmile,  (sorry I'm responding late, I was away on vacation).   I understand all too well how you are feeling.   It usually takes 3-4 weeks before you'll begin to feel the effects of an antidepressant.  Everyone is different, so your doc can try other ones if Lexapro doesn't work.   I also take Prozac 20 mg.   

As Jean already wrote,  recovery time is a slow process, which is a PIA.    Maybe talk to your neurosurgeon or ENT surgeon re: the options that are best for you.

Try to keep a peaceful heart during this trying time.

Always good thoughts,   Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2008, 09:51:12 am »
I think that it is quite common that people need to try several different anti-depresants to find the one that works for them.  And, it can take up to 8 weeks to get the full affect of some ad drugs.  If the current prescription isn't working, definitely talk to your doctor about possibly trying a different drug.  There are SO many AD drugs on the market now - I am sure there is one that will work for you.

In the meantime, try to get outside as much as you can - being in natural light can help feelings of depression. 

I am only 3.5 months post op, but I do know what you mean about the facial issues.  I had friends out this weekend and we took a bunch of pictures - I wanted to cry when I saw how awful my smile looked.  However, I know it is better than when I first got out of the hospital.  I try to remember that I am NOT my smile.  I'm still the same person I was before I got this silly looking face.

Hang in there.

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

Kaybo

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2008, 08:31:43 am »
Angie~
Of course you are not a wimp - different people deal with things differently!!  I certainly would have saught (is that a word?) out couseling or medicining during this whole process if I ever would have turned down the depression road.  Things like that were invented to HELP people!  I am home now if you want to give me a call!

Debbi~
I certainly understand about the picture thing - it is kind of easier not to think about it until you see a picture, isn't it?  Especially when you are having so much fun with people who don't care that you look funny and you can be more the "old" you around them...at least you can see improvement already!   ;)

K

Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2008, 01:13:51 pm »
Kay, you are so right - I do tend to forget all about it when I am with friends.  Seeing the pictures is a bit of a wet blanket...

Debbi, sporting my pirate smile
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com