Author Topic: Facial Movement  (Read 3152 times)

mimoore

• Believe!
Facial Movement
« on: August 19, 2008, 03:28:25 pm »
Hello all , I am 11 weeks post op (like I haven't reminded everyone enough) and apparently my nerve is intact (although my operative summary says there is no nice bundle of the 7th nerve).
I was wondering what have others experienced first? I know every situation is different but for those of you who did get movement back where did it occur first? I am examining myself in the mirror for any possible small movement in this frozen face.
Thanks,
Michelle  ;D
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

jazzfunkanne

Re: Facial Movement
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 04:32:05 pm »
Hi what grade is your palsy, mine was grade 6, i seen movement in the cheek first(about 5 months) then top lip, i must admit most of the recovery is just starting now i am 19 months post op, i am doing everything to stimulate the nerves, warm & cold flannels , massage, tropical machine exercises , i am doing all this in moderation and gently.
over 4.5cm AN removed dec 06

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 05:03:34 pm »
Apparently I am a 5 no movement but good tone at rest. the reason I asked is that yesterday and today my friend said it looked like my eye was blinking (a tiny bit). Is that possbile or am I just wishing it to be. I can see the tip of my lashes when I blink. Hmmmmmmmmmm
Michelle  ;D
That is great you are getting movement.  ;D ;D What is tropical machine exercises?
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 05:57:34 pm »
Hi Michelle-

According to my surgeon - the shortest piece of the facial nerve is the section that runs through your cheek to you upper lip.  He told me that I would get movement back in that area first - and he was right!  I have a fair amount of movement in my upper lip (just in the last few weeks) and can move my upper cheek also. 

He told me that the eye, eye brow and lower lip/chin would be the last to return as those pieces of nerve are the longest.  As he explained it to me, the nerve repairs at the rate of about one inch per month so the longer nerves take longer to regenerate.

I am just a little over 3.5 months post op and have seen more improvement in the last 3 weeks than at any time earlier.  I still can't close my eye without my Blinkeze, but it is getting closer so I think that means that I am starting to get some motion there.

This is a long, slow process.  Also, my docs both told me that it was very likely that I would not regain 100% facial movement - but that 90% was realistic.  I'd take it.

Hope this helps...  Hang in there!

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008, 06:40:58 pm »
Thanks Debbi I love hearing how it happens, makes me excited.
Dave did you get movement in your eye first? I thinkI remember something about you waiting for insurance for your weight and then had to cancel (yippee) because you started getting movement back in your lid? 
I had my daughter video tape my eye and it is blinking a tiny tiny bit (am I imagining it?) I don't know - I will keep watching it - slower than grass growing. hehe
Michelle  ;)

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2008, 06:57:13 pm »
Has anyone heard about the use of Topamax for nerve regeneration? I have read some reports that it is very helpful for nerve regeneration connected with diabetic neuropathy but haven't seen anything about other uses. I am wondering because I have a bunch of Topamax left over from my hemifacial spasm days. I contacted Dr. Neely's office with this question, but have not received a response.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13