Author Topic: AN Removal July 14, 2008  (Read 6334 times)

Cheryl R

Re: AN Removal July 14, 2008
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2008, 08:35:56 am »
Protein in some form is important to have post op to help the healing of the incision and the brain.        if you can't eat well then try some of the protein drinks, Ensure,Boost or others.      I know the taste being off is no fun.      I still have some effects of it and am 3 1/2 months post op but it has improved from what it first was.   
So many things do improve over time and at 6 mos out,will be surprised that it is better.        The body needs time to compensate and seems to take forever at first.
                                           Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2008, 11:13:37 am »
Bridget -

as your doctor said, you need to wait a little while before you can investigate the BAHA.  My doctor said that once my "head was healed" I could try the demo.  My surgery was at the end of May and I tried the demo in late September.  Everyone's healing time is different, so if your doc says wait 6 months, wait 6 months.

I actually had the opportunity to meet a BAHA user at a local support group meeting about a month after my surgery.  She was very helpful in answering my questions and graciously agreed to be a "live visual" for me.  From that point I scheduled a demo which I found to be very impressive.  My doc had me put my finger in my "good" ear and he sat and talked to me.  I could hear every word he said - very cool!

After talking to others on this forum with BAHAs, I decided to go ahead with the surgery.  My insurance company was supposed to take 4-6 weeks to tell me if they would cover the surgery and the processor, but it ended up taking them almost 6 months.  I had the implant surgery in March and got my processor in June and I've been totally in love with my BAHA every since.

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kaybo

« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2008, 12:24:02 pm »
Hi Bridget~
Sounds like you are doing great!  I have been SSD for over 12 years now and it really doesn't bother me.  I have definitely had to learn where I should sit in different situations to get the best results!  Airplanes are challenging because I need to sit on the side where I can hear the stewardess but I need to be able to hear my girlies too!  You will get the hang of it and it really means a lot when your friends and family make a conscience effort to consider that too!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2008, 07:05:59 pm »
Hi Bridget,
You are about one week ahead of me--I had my surgery on July 22.  Sounds like you are doing great.  I'm a runner and have been walking a little more each day and hope to start running soon.  I also have numbness issues and a somewhat dry eye but my tumor (bigger than yours) was on my trigeminal nerve so most of my issues are related to sensation.  I think I have facial weakness on the right side and have a doctor's appointment tomorrow so I will be able to gauge better what's going on.  No balance problems, but some hearing issues.  I went in with no hearing loss but came out with, well, I don't know, but it's definitely different.  I'm glad you found us, this forum has been a lifesaver.  I hope you continue on your present trajectory--it gives me great motivation.

Wishing you only good things,
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

bre2you

« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2008, 09:58:46 am »
Five weks post-op--wow!  Two more weeks and I'll be going back to work.   Since I last wrote, I have been making good progress.  I've been cooking at least twice a week now and was able to clean my whole house.  I am walking at about two-thirds my normal pace and although I get off-balance less often I zig-zag a lot still.  I was finally brave enough to put the telepone receiver up to my right ear and sure enough I could not hear a thing.  That was a bit depressing, but I'm alive and otherwise healthy so I will work with that.  My facial paralysis is gone and my eye is blinking an closing normally.

I still have some "opportunites" for improvement:  my taste buds are still off --- I keep trying different things to see what I can taste.  So far fruit, cooked soft vegetables, chicken wings , spicy shrimp, pasta and rice work well.  The right side of my face is still numb.  It is hard to swallow things like thick bread/buns and thick meats so I avoid those for now.  We have two alarm clocks and I can't tell which one is ringing --- it sounds like mine when it is actaully my husbands.  Sleeping on my back is the best placement right now since my the right side of my head is still numb and a little sore and if I lay on my left side, I cannot hear.  I believe most of these irritants will improve over time. 

My goals for the coming week are to resume walking my normal path outdoors -- including the hills.  I know I won't start at my normal pace, but my goal is to complete the three mile path first and then the four mile path.  We'll see how it goes.

I wish you all well and thanks again for your support!

Bridget
Bridget
2.8cm AN removed July 14, 2008
translab; SSD
Michigan Ear Institute
Dr. Dennis Bojrab --- Dr. Daniel Pieper

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2008, 10:16:27 am »
Bridget -

It certainly sounds like you're making significant strides in improvement!  Congrats for having come this far so quickly!  I'm about 3 months post-op and I'm just now feeling more "normal" and I still have some facial palsy still.  You're doing splendidly!  I'm glad!  Kudos on making goals and sticking to them!  You "sound" great!

Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager