Author Topic: Gathering Information  (Read 2470 times)

biged

Gathering Information
« on: November 14, 2005, 06:52:44 pm »
I have been recently diagnosed, six weeks ago, with a 7mm neuroma in my left ear.  I lost my hearing in my right ear thirteen years ago to an undiagnosed cause.  I've worn an aid in my left ear for approximately five years because of declining hearing.  I've had an ABR test and the results indicate that  standard surgery will not have a very good chance of preserving my hearing.
      Anybody out there in the same situation and if so what info can you give me?

tgentile

Re: Gathering Information
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2005, 10:44:03 pm »
I had the ABR before the surgery (Nov 3, 2005) and was told that I didn't have a good chance to preserve hearing after surgery. They had thr ABR connected during surgery with the same prognosis. The nerve looked good but the ABR tests again showed otherwise with longer than expected delays.

Well, I can still hear out of the AN side!! Will it last? Hope so. Each day is new. I have learned that nothing is guaranteed.

1.5 cm by 8mm
Rt side
Sub

Desilu

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2005, 06:43:11 pm »
Hi biged,           Welcome to the forum! I do not have the same problem you have but I would like make a suggestion. When you have checked out all resourses in your area please check with House Ear Clinic in Los Angeles for your final opinion. They will do this free of charge if you send them your tests and films. It is well worth your while. Dr. Brackmann will call you with his opinion within a few days. It was one of the best decisions I've made in my life. I wish you best whatever you decide. If I can be of help in anyway just email me. Ann

HEI July 26, 2005
5mm x 8mm Left AN
Dr. Brackmann & Dr. Hitselberger
Middle Fossa
HEI July 26, 2005
5mm X 8mm Left AN
Middle Fossa
Dr. Brackmann & Dr. Hitselberger

biged

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2005, 12:43:21 pm »
Dear Desilu, 
    Thanks very much for the information. I'm going to see Dr. Post at Mount Sinai in New York next Tuesday.   After getting his opinion I will send my info to the House Clinic.  When you were gathering information did you investigate Dr. Shahinian in L.A.?  If you have anything on him I would like to hear it.  Thanks again.

eronrabun

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2006, 12:18:26 pm »
For information on Dr Shahinian see my post in the "information on physicians" section.  HE IS THE BEST!  :)
-3cm acoustic neuroma "size of an egg"
-pressing on the brain stem
-50/50 chance of severe side effect with "traditional surgery"
-chose "endoscopic procedure" by Dr Shahinian in Los Angeles, CA instead of traditional one
-wouldn't change ANYTHING!
-results are amazing!!!