Author Topic: Losing my hair  (Read 2538 times)

shoegirl

Losing my hair
« on: January 03, 2006, 12:34:13 am »
Hi,

Well I am just about 20 days post CK and I found my first bald spot tonight. :o In the middle of the bang area.  Thank goodness I part my hair on the side.  The spot is about the size of a dime, slightly red, and a little itchy.  I have noticed that is has been kinda itchy over the last few days.  I have some other areas that are itchy too and I am wondering if some more spots will pop up over the next few days?

I know a few of you have had hair loss with your radiation treatments and realize everyone is different - did you lose all the hair at once or have spots pop up periodically?  Was the area red? Itchy?

I do remember during the CK opening my eyes and seeing the robot right in front of my face above the eyes and very close to my head.  Now I am wondering if this bald spot corresponds with the positioning of the robot's arm to get to the pathway to target the tumor?

Things could be worse!  I can live with the hair loss if the tumor shrinks! ;) Otherwise I feel great! Can't complain - balance is good, no dizziness, get fatigued here and there but not too bad.

Would appreciate any advice from those of you that had hair loss with radiation.

Thanks! Suzanne
left side 2.0cm x 1.3cm  
Cyberknife - 12/2005
The Barrow Institute, Phoenix, AZ

jamie

Re: Losing my hair
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2006, 12:13:25 pm »
Mine wasn't red or itchy, but I have read that is normal. It took a couple weeks for all the hair to fall out, and it was just a few dime sized patches on the tumor side. It's been three and a half months since the hair started falling out, and it's 100% grown back, like it never happened.
CyberKnife radiosurgery at Barrow Neurological Institute; 2.3 cm lower cranial nerve schwannoma

shoegirl

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2006, 12:39:01 pm »
Thanks Jamie!  My hair is long so if I loose to much of it - I guess I'll go for a buzz cut? :P

Hey, did you go back for a 1 month visit with Kresl?  When did you get your first scan?  So far I am scheduled for a 1 month, 3 month, and a 6 month with the Neuro ENT.  But not sure when my first scan will be?
left side 2.0cm x 1.3cm  
Cyberknife - 12/2005

jamie

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2006, 01:14:06 pm »
My first scan was at three months, about a month ago. The tumor already showed signs of a positive response, it was much more necrotic in the center than it was originally, and no swelling. All symptoms it caused are gone. I'm not scheduled with the ENT, probably because mine wasn't an AN, it was on a lower nerve. I saw Dr. Josen right before treatment to check my hearing, which was fine, but nothing scheduled since.
CyberKnife radiosurgery at Barrow Neurological Institute; 2.3 cm lower cranial nerve schwannoma

SuzeAN

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2006, 04:22:11 pm »
Hi,
I had CK at Barrows 10/05, but I experienced the extra strands of hair about 3 weeks after treatment.  It was on the same side as the AN, but nothing noticeable, I just noticed it in the shower while shampooing.  I didn't have a 1 month followup with Dr Kresl, but I believe I have an upcoming MRI to be scheduled, I had to come long distance from Las Vegas since we don't have CK here.  I keep wondering if I am supposed to feel any different, but I don't and my balance is still fine and hearing ok except for the tinnitus which changes pitch now and again..I look forward to the MRI so I will know whats going on in there!

Suze
2.5 cm, left side
CK-Barrows 10/05

shoegirl

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2006, 02:12:29 pm »
 :P Well, I am finding more bald spots and having some breakage.  But I am still positive, things could be worse.  I can still hide the spots, the breakage is harder to hide.  I am wondering at what point I decide to chop my hair off?  And my head is still terribly itchy.  Hoping the itchy spots are not potential bald spots.  Fun stuff!

Suze, 
Hope your scan goes well, wishing you positive results!

left side 2.0cm x 1.3cm  
Cyberknife - 12/2005

okiesandy

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2006, 01:51:16 am »
Suzanne,

I had my second treatment Friday 1/6 and my head feels hot and kind of burning and itching. Very mild. I saw that same robot aiming at my forehead. I have only seen the litte robot twice. I did see two little blue lights the first day at the beginning of my treatment. I do have a feeling like a sunburn on the side of my face. No redness.

I lost a lot of hair about two months ago. By the hands full. My hair was longer and I color and highlight it. I thought at first it was because it was damaged. I  kept getting it cut shorter and shorter because it kept coming out and breaking. Finally a stylist ask me if I was having a lot of stress because the strands were so fine and the scalp was not really very relaxed. We cut it off shorter than I have ever had my hair. My husband loves it, my friends love it and strangers come and tell me how nice it looks. The stylist told me that she sees this sometimes in people that have had surgery or radiation for any reason. When it was cut it looked like something dead on the floor and when I picked up a hunk of it it felt dead. Now you are telling me it could happen again? Last time I bought 4 pairs of shoes when I left the salon and today and yesterday 5 pair total. After all the stress of radiation may be less if you feel good enough to buy shoes. I can't afford more shoes. My husband, a confirmed tight wad said go ahead and enjoy something. This from a man who thinks you need 4 pair of shoes. Black, Brown, good athletic shoes and a pair of old ones just in case you need to do something dirty.

Hugs and blessings

Sandy
Cyberknife 1/2006
Clinton Medbery III & Mary K. Gumerlock
St Anthony's Hospital
Oklahoma City, OK
Name of Tumor: Ivan (may he rest in peace)