Author Topic: 3 month post op MRI(white mass)  (Read 2022 times)

cin605

3 month post op MRI(white mass)
« on: September 29, 2008, 06:14:25 pm »
I went for 3 month post op today.MRI showed white mass above where AN was located.Dr.said it could be scar tissue but wants me for another MRI in 3 months just to be sure becouse hes not sure.He has also never seen a one side swollen tongue.Is the scar tissue fairly common?
Nuerologist says swollen tongue is from breathing tube hitting nerve,also the pain & burning going down the back of my shoulder,Says wait & see it should go away.
I just feel like i am getting no real answers.
Thanks Cindy
2cm removed retrosig 6/26/08
DartmouthHitchcock medical center lebanon,N.H.
43yrs old

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
Re: 3 month post op MRI(white mass)
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2008, 06:38:45 am »
I'm reading your post and wondering if "wait and see" is all he recommended?! 

No doubt you wanted him to offer up suggestions as to what you can do for relief!!!  Call him back to see if he can offer up more for you.  Better yet, see if you can get another opinion?

I'm sorry I cannot offer any suggestions, but I can off you my support of understanding how frustrated you might be. 

As for the "scar tissue", yes, this can be the diagnosis with MR readings after treatment of AN's.  I have been told the same regarding mine.  So, waiting to see what comes with another down the road doesn't seem too out of norm.  The "waiting" can be frustrating and best to let this go.  One thing is for sure, make sure this MR is read by "neuroradiologist" as this is their specialty as opposed to "radiologist" as there will be a difference of the readings as is the case when I go for my MR's.  I wait until I've read the report by my neuroradiologist and by my neurotologist.  Hope this one helped you though.   :)
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

jazzfunkanne

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2008, 07:32:35 am »
my scan 1 year post op was the same , and i was really worried i put the same question on here the other week, but my consultant says its scar tissure and what they used to pack the gap with (muscle etc.), he will scan me again in a year for peace of mind. plus i was told the brain can still be swollen at 3 months post op so i would wait till your next scan and see what he has to say.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 07:35:04 am by jazzfunkanne »
over 4.5cm AN removed dec 06

cin605

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2008, 08:53:13 am »
Thank you so much.
i am going to try some more pysical therapy & see if tongue behaves.I am going to start w/ massage&heat.Any body know about ultrasound?
43yrs old

cin605

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2008, 11:34:05 am »
I see a new ENT soon....I need to call Dartmouth&see if they can get a copy of my MRI to him.I hope he will have a few answers for me.
43yrs old