Author Topic: Botox & Headaches  (Read 2812 times)

Janet

• Janet Sherwood Photography
Botox & Headaches
« on: January 19, 2006, 06:51:59 pm »
Does anyone have any experience with Botox for treatment of post-op AN headaches and neck pain? It seems like it would help. I've heard that it does help for migraine headaches. My insurance would cover it for headache treatment. Any info would be appreciated, as I want to stop taking so many anti-inflammatory medications.  Thanks, Janet
Surgical removal of 1 cm x .8 cm x .6 AN on 4/2004.

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
Re: Botox & Headaches
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2006, 07:11:32 pm »
Janet,

I'd be interested to know whether botox works as well. Can't say that I have read where anyone has taken it for an related headaches but you never know. I take neurontin for my headaches - they do help. They are not an anti inflamatory and don't seem to have any side effects. i have a bowell that is a little fussy but it doesn't mind the neurontin.

I have tried a series of cortizone injections into my head - didn't work.
None of the anti inflamatories worked for me either.

Larry
2.0cm AN removed Nov 2002.
Dr Chang St Vincents, Sydney
Australia. Regrowth discovered
Nov 2005. Watch and wait until 2010 when I had radiotherapy. 20% shrinkage and no change since - You beauty
Chronologer of the PBW
http://www.frappr.com/laz

Rayinpa37

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2006, 08:46:25 am »
I had tried.  Was going to pain management physician.  He had tried darvocet, viicodin (which may have been m&m;s for what they did)

was changed to tylenol 3's and then to tylenol 4's.  had some relief but only minor.  then i was put on Fentynyl patches which were the best for a while.  then i became immune to those effects. 

He was submitted to my insurance (First Priority BC/BS) for approval to use Botox injections.  He did a test injection with Lydocaine which was amazing.  i had 10 minutes with 0 head/neck pain.   He stated that this is what the botox would do.  I was thrilled.   

F'in insurance companies state this is too expensive a treatment..  so even though it would have worked... insurance wont pay for it.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ray Grace - age 40
Dunmore, Pa

1.9cm AN removed via Sub-Occipital Surgery
March 8th 2004
Dr. Robert Martuza, Massachusetts General Hospital
--Using CROS Hearing Aids

Janet

• Janet Sherwood Photography
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2006, 12:05:42 pm »
Thanks for responding. How frustrating for you. These AN headaches seem to be in a category of their own. Trying to find relief is a challenge. I know of at least one Botox study going on for migraines in general.(Seattle)  Maybe you could find one in your area.

I haven't had a Lidocaine test. I am going to the neurologist on Monday and will hopefully have more info.
Surgical removal of 1 cm x .8 cm x .6 AN on 4/2004.

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2006, 03:47:12 pm »
Very interesting, I think I'll pursue this line of medication when i next see my neuro (6th one). You get to the point of how many neuro's can you see and go through the whole story again and again. And also, how many different drugs can the body sustain.

Larry
2.0cm AN removed Nov 2002.
Dr Chang St Vincents, Sydney
Australia. Regrowth discovered
Nov 2005. Watch and wait until 2010 when I had radiotherapy. 20% shrinkage and no change since - You beauty
Chronologer of the PBW
http://www.frappr.com/laz

lifeisgood

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2006, 11:46:11 pm »
Has anyone tried getting massage regularly?
Find someone who does deep specific work.
Do you also have weakness in your face?
I had post op headaches and the only thing that helped me is massage.
I am a massage therapist so I knew the benefits before surgery.
Find someone who will work all of your neck muscles (Anterior neck too.. scalenes/SCM/as well as levator scapula/trap etc.
I was going weekly for massage and then twice per month.
I tried a chiropractor but unfortunately that started a flare up again.
Yoga is great as well.
I know that these headaches can feel so intense. 
I heard botox isn't the best remedy but if it works for you, go for it.
Make sure you find someone really really qualified and experienced.
That I know for sure is important.
Good luck!
3.4cm AN surgically removed 3/04
by Dr. Wiet and Kazan at Hinsdale Hospital in Illinois.
Translab approach

staypoz

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2006, 06:34:49 pm »
I had a botox treatment about 2 months ago; one of my neurologist's AN patients had experienced temporary relief, so I was hopeful.  One of the potential side effects is neck weakness, and I wound up in a neck brace for a couple of weeks.  I will not be going back for a second treatment because it didn't work for me.  I have experienced some relief with acupuncture and physical therapy.  The most relief I have gotten is from nerve blocks.  I also have a 30 minute body work session with a massage therapist weekly.  The session includes reiki and refloxology.ÂÂ