Author Topic: Fever  (Read 3376 times)

LOIS

Fever
« on: September 22, 2008, 10:41:50 pm »
Just want to ask, has anybody else or is it normal to run a low grade temp 3 weeks after surgery?  Every night I run a fever of just over 100.  During the day its pretty much normal most of the time but towards the evening it goes up and stays at about 100.02.

Lois
Diagnosed 07/08   1.2 x 1.1 cm. left AN Retosigmoid surgery 08/08 with Dr. Bartels  @ Tampa General Hospital

wendysig

Re: Fever
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2008, 05:25:49 am »
Lois,
If you are running a fever you probably have an infection -- It is never normal to run a fever -- get to the doctor ASAP!!!    Please post as soon as you can and let us know what he says.

Very concerned for you,
Wendy

1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2008, 05:48:09 am »
Lois,

thinking wendy got it right and sometimes post-surgery low grade fevers can set in (they also advise us before procedures of post-surgical risks, including chance of infections, etc). Please advise your docs to keep them in the loop. Not sure if you have tried and OTC fever reducer (ie; Tylenol, etc).... see what the doc's office says.

I hope you feel better!
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2008, 06:30:44 am »
Hi, Lois:

I'm afraid I'll have to side with the majority.  A persistent low-grade fever should prompt a call to your doctor for advice.  It is not normal and could be caused by an infection.  Perhaps not, but I wouldn't allow this to go unchecked by a medical professional.

I trust you'll follow up with your doctor and all will be well, soon.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

lori67

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2008, 06:57:34 am »
Lois,

It's actually normal for your body temperature to go up a bit in the evening hours (A Circadian rhythm thing..).  That's why you'll usually notice when your kids are sick, their fever will actually spike and be at it's highest in the evening.

But, since you are only 3 weeks post op, I'd have it checked out because you don't want to take a chance of letting an infection take hold.  If you can have someone check along the incision and see if it's red or warmer than the rest of your skin, you can report that to the doctor when you call.  Those are 2 signs of an infection and it would be better to catch it quickly.

Better safe than sorry in this case!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2008, 10:25:17 pm »
I'm with the crowd on this one - it could be a sign of infection.

I'd check with your doctor, if you haven't already.

Keep us posted.

Thanks,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

LOIS

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2008, 10:53:08 pm »
I'm going to call him in the morning.  Today, it pretty much stayed at a little over 100, then this evening its been up to 101 and staying there.  And the headache is out of control.  He put me on Gabapentin for the headaches but I still have some percoset left and I'm taking one tonight.  Can't take this headache much longer.

Lois

Diagnosed 07/08   1.2 x 1.1 cm. left AN Retosigmoid surgery 08/08 with Dr. Bartels  @ Tampa General Hospital

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2008, 10:56:40 am »
Maybe Lori can shed light on this one,

While in hospital with my AN surgery (1st one) it was noted I had a fever, don't know to what degree, but they started me on antibiotics.  No big whoop here but....

One night an LPN woke me as she was taking my temp in the operated ear and then said, "Wait, you had surgery to this side, let me check other ear."  When this was done she noted no temperature or "normal" rather, so they took me off antibiotics.  What gives here?

Another ?? for Lori,

My "normal" temp is 96.6 or 7 so if one day my temp reads 98.8, does this indicate a fever?  Just curious here.
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

lori67

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2008, 11:15:55 am »
Well, I'm not a doctor, and I don't play one on tv.. but, I'll give it my best shot!

I have no idea why they would have started you on antibiotics and then stopped them so suddenly.  I've never heard of that.  Especially these days when they are more hesitant to give antibiotics in the first place.  I can understand them not wanting the temp from your operated side, but stopping antibiotics so abruptly is odd.  If you did have an infection and treated it with only a partial run of antibiotics, you'd stand a higher chance of it coming back in a more virulent form.  (Hey, Jim.. there are a few big words here!   ;D)

As far as "normal" temperatures, or normal anything else for that matter, "normal" could be different for everyone and could vary by the time of day, what you're doing at the time.  I wouldn't think a degree either way would be considered a fever.  At least, when I was working as a nurse, I wouldn't have considered it a fever.  You also have to remember that those digital ear thermometers are not as accurate, in my opinion, as the old fashioned mercury thermometers, so there's some degree of error there too.

Like I mentioned earlier, your body temp usually goes up in the evenings, and for women, it changes during parts of their menstrual cycle, so there are going to be minor differences.  As a nurse, I'd look at the whole picture if you came to me - see what other symptoms you might have that would indicate a fever and infection somewhere.

I know there are other nurses and a doctor or two here, so maybe they could chime and and answer better than I can.

Hope that didn't sound as confusing as it seems to me!   :o

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2008, 02:52:03 pm »
Wow, Lori.  Even though you don't even play a doctor on TV, that was an amazing answer - and it makes perfect sense to me.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2008, 08:54:21 am »
 :)  Thanks Lori, I did understand what you wrote! 

Prayers to your doctors, nurses and you on your upcoming surgery.  May you wake with good results!
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear