Author Topic: Back to work update--end of week 2  (Read 2163 times)

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
Back to work update--end of week 2
« on: September 27, 2008, 05:47:52 am »
Hi all,
I've just completed week 2 of "back to work; Marci's next big adventure" and week 2 was much better than week 1.  I spent more hours in the office, got more accomplished, and had an all around better time.  I am distracted by my facial issues much of the time (numbness, burning, weakness, eye tearing, facial muscles pulling) and trying to balance medication with staying alert.  BUT, I am there!  And even though there are weird cognitive things going on, I am compensating well enough.  Friday happy hour this week consisted of crying on my husband's shoulder, but the self-pity party was brief, albeit soggy.

The way I look at it I have some choices to make.  I can let this get me down and stop me from living life to the fullest or I can concentrate on my accomplishments rather than dwelling on my problems.  I am here, I am still me (mostly), and I am in the process of healing from a major surgery that involved my brain and several cranial nerves.  I am one lucky girl. 

Marci

3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Back to work update--end of week 2
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2008, 07:22:33 am »
Marci:

Congratulations on completing your second week back at work!

I'm sorry to learn that its a struggle but, as you so accurately stated: you're there.

I can't blame you for having a mini pity party but I admire your determination driven by your positive attitude.  You're an inspiration to others struggling for normalcy.  I think you'll win this battle, Marci.  You know many people support you, pray for you and wish you all the best in this journey.

Have a splendid, restful weekend.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

MAlegant

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2008, 01:51:24 pm »
 :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*...Marci sending kisses to Jim.... :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

jazzfunkanne

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2008, 02:26:26 pm »
Are you back at work 2 months post op? WELL DONE TOO YOU , are you back part-time or full time, gawd i take my hat off to you ,xxx
over 4.5cm AN removed dec 06

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2008, 02:54:40 pm »
Hi, Marci,

Glad to see you're back at work. I just completed 5 wks back at work. I'm back full-time and it's tough, but I'm grateful that I can go back to work. Having the routine has helped me feel that things are getting back to normal though the dizziness and balance issues still slow me down a little bit. I hope you also find comfort in being able to go back to work, and I wish you continued improvement.

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

MAlegant

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2008, 06:33:18 pm »
Yes, full-time.  Well, full-time sort of.  I've been going in at 9:30 or 10:00, but I thought that would be ok.  Next week I plan to arrive 15 minutes earlier.  It's a loose plan.  Syl, glad to see you're still at it.  I was thinking about you today and wondering if you were doing well.  Now I know!
Marci

cindyj

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2008, 10:28:48 am »
Hey Marci,

Thanks for updating us - it's good for us "preposties" to continue to hear the good and the bad of getting back to life (however changed that may be).  I know that it is good for me to hear that even a person as strong as YOU certainly seem to be to me, allows yourself a little pity party here and there.  I have been through numerous surgeries and always feel the need to be so strong for everyone around me and I am usually not one to "take it easy" after surgery.  I need to know that it is going to be ok for me to not be the strong person that I usually am...

Sorry, that was a long-winded way of saying "thanks" and that I've been so impressed at how well you have done and how STRONG you are!

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

MAlegant

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2008, 08:17:29 pm »
Cindy,
I totally understand.  Letting go and allowing others to take care of me for a change was important for my recovery.  I needed all the help I could get and because I had that support I pushed myself to recover.  It was a security blanket kind of thing.  So, get things ready, and then lay back and let the rest happen.  You'll be a postie in no time.
Marci