Author Topic: Diagnosed with an AN 2 weeks after having my baby  (Read 1681 times)

DeniseD

Diagnosed with an AN 2 weeks after having my baby
« on: September 30, 2008, 10:58:16 am »
Hi everyone

My name is Denise i'm 29 from Ireland.  I have been reading ths forum for a number of weeks it has been so helpful.  I was diagnosed on the 17th of July with an AN 2 wekks after having my baby, i'm almost 10 weeks post-op.  I had my surgery a week later and it measured 4.5cm pressing on my brain stem.  I had to have an emergency c-section my baby was in distress i was wisked away for that I had a beautiful baby boy we called him Thomas.  When I went home it was my vision that was affecting me my vision would go dark it felt like I was going to faint it would last for about 10 seconds and happen about 20-30 times during the day.  My gp referred me to A&E had a ct scan that when they found it.  I have hearing loss, facial paralysis my vision is fine except from the blurriness from the ointments, balance is good except when I turn my head even tough I cant turn my head properly from left to right my neck is still a bit stiff.  I had all the usual symptons but the got worse when I was pregnant, I just thought they were pregnancy related, lost my hearing in my right ear when I was about 15 weeks pregnant.  I have had most trouble with my eye trouble taping it, but my sister tapes it for me at night.  I have gotten most of my answers from all of ye, I ordered my onion goggles I find them uncomfortable to wear the side of my head still swells and I ordered 'eye patches from heaven' just waiting for them to be delivered.
One thing I couldn't find an answer to was 'has anyone used a tens machine'? its not recommended till 12 weeks post-op.

Denise

calimama

Re: Diagnosed with an AN 2 weeks after having my baby
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2008, 01:36:58 pm »
Hi Denise,

Sorry for all your troubles but congratulations on having a beautiful baby boy. It sures gives you perspective on the value of life, love and time. I hope you are enjoying him like crazy. I hope the eye patches work out for you; I am loving mine after several months with the black patch. Trust and hope you will get a little better everyday.

Trish in Canada
Left 2.9cm CP Angle AN discovered Jan 2008. Retrosig surgery June 2, 2008 Toronto, Canada. Facial paralysis and numbness, double vision (4th nerve), SSD. DV totally recovered in 4th month; palsy started to recover slowly around month 7. Had twin boys 13 months after surgery. Doing great.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2008, 02:02:13 pm »
Hello, Denise:

Welcome to the forum!  I'm so pleased that the site and these boards have been of such help to you.  Although we have members from the U.K., I'm not sure if we've had anyone from Ireland here for some time.  I've never visited 'The Emerald Isle' but I've seen enough photos and movies filmed in Ireland that I know it is a beautiful country. 

I'm sorry to learn of your AN and the complications that you've had to deal with - and so soon after your pregnancy.  Of course, the arrival of  your son, Thomas, must be a blessing but caring for a newborn and dealing with the eye issues and such probably don't make things any easier.  However, you seem to be coping quite well.  For that, you have my admiration. 

I haven't used a 'TENS' ( Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation) apparatus but my wife once did (for reasons that are not related to acoustic neuroma).  She liked it but the effects were temporary.  Still, it did offer some relief, temporary or not. 

At ten weeks post-op you seem to be coming along nicely, all things considered.  Each week will probably present you with a bit more improvement .  You'll be receiving a lot of suggestions and advice from other members relating to your recovery and how to make it a bit smoother.   As another ANer who had a 4.5 cm tumor pressing on the brainstem, I salute your intrepid attitude and wish you a rapid and total recovery.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

jazzfunkanne

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2008, 02:18:23 pm »
Hi Denise, my AN was the same size as yours i am now 21 months post op, what is the tens machine for? i live in scotland and i am a member of the british AN as well we have a few members from ireland.
What age are you if you dont mind me asking?  take care and say hi to Thomasx
over 4.5cm AN removed dec 06

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2008, 07:34:00 pm »
Welcome Denise,

We do have a member from Ireland, Lorenzo.  Mind you he was born in Italy but has resided in Ireland for over 20 years.

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

DeniseD

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2008, 12:13:37 pm »
Hi all

Thank you all for your warm thoughts.  [Thomas is 13 weeks today]

Trish I received my patches today, I wore one when I went outside at least I didn't have to tape my eye shut.  It was so comfortable it was quite windy and I got caught in a heavy shower of rain got soaked.

Ireland is a beautiful country 'when it's not raining' and we get a lot of it Jim.  The 'TENS' machine is used during labour pain.  I have been told by my ophthalmologist that it can be used just above my eye to stimulate the nerves to the eye.  If its used before 3 months it can be of more harm than good.

Jazzfunkanne is your first name anne, it was the ophthalmologist who recommended it to me I have an appointment with my physiotherapist and she will discuss it with me thats in a couple of weeks.  I find my eye such a nuisance I will try anything.

I hope that I post this correctly
Denise

jazzfunkanne

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2008, 12:55:01 pm »
Hi , i got a facial stimuator at 2 months post op. off my physio, look under lindens clinic to get more information. Annex
 http://www.dianafarragher.co.uk/index.htm
« Last Edit: October 02, 2008, 05:49:36 am by jazzfunkanne »
over 4.5cm AN removed dec 06

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2008, 01:40:47 pm »
Hi Denise and welcome?!

Very sorry you are making and meeting friends this way, but so be it, as we are a loyal and loving bunch.  You certainly have had your share and then some with the birth of your son, Thomas.  I do hope you are able to enjoy yourself and him now that some time has passed, but I'm sure your fatigue level rivals any of ours having a newborn and post op AN surgery!  Maybe we can come up with a "blue ribbon" or something to that effect stating you probably are the winner of the fatigue category.  Congratulations on the birth of your son and congratulations on your being a "postie"! 
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear