Author Topic: titanium mesh in head  (Read 13425 times)

boomer

titanium mesh in head
« on: October 17, 2008, 09:59:54 am »
If you have titanium mesh put into the head to close can you have MRI's after or does airport security pick up this type of material?
We just had a discussion here at the office on this.  Shows how busy we are. <g>

wendysig

Re: titanium mesh in head
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2008, 10:07:21 am »
Hi Boomer,
Yes, you can have MRIs with titanium mesh in your head -- many people here have titanium mesh and have had follow-up MRIs with no problem.  Titanium is not magnetic.  I also remember Lori67 saying she has never set off the security alarm at the airport with her BAHA, which requires that you have a titanium screw and abutment implanted in your skull, and I know Jan flew to NY and Minneapolis this summer and I don't think she set off any airport alarms either.  I'm sure you have nothing to worry about as far as these two issues go. ;D

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Kaybo

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2008, 10:58:10 am »
I was just wondering about a gold or platinum weight in your eyelid and an MRI.  I had just had mine out this time and don't think I had one yet when I did the last MRI.  They make you take all jewelry off...after the belt buckle scare the ohter day, it made me think of all the other possibilities!!  YIKES - I don't want my eyelid to head off without me!! :o :o

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

wendysig

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2008, 12:18:14 pm »
K -
A very good question -- I checked Google for information regarding gold eye weights and MRIs and found this article:

Titre du document / Document title
Effect of magnetic resonance imaging on implantable eyelid weights
Auteur(s) / Author(s)
MARRA S. (1) ; KONIOR R. J. ; LEONETTI J. P. (1) ; RASLAN W. (1) ;
Affiliation(s) du ou des auteurs / Author(s) Affiliation(s)
(1) Loyola univ. medical cent., dep. otolaryngology-head neck surgery, Chicago IL 60153, ETATS-UNIS
Résumé / Abstract
Implanted upper eyelid gold weights are used to prevent comeal injury in patients with facial nerve paralysis. Some of these individuals require postoperative radiographic surveillance for recurrent lateral skull base disease. Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) provides the most accurate radiologic assessment ; however, there is concern about the safety of performing MRI in patients with any metallic implant. Potential risks include local tissue heating and implant migration. Gold weights of 0.8 and 1.4 g were placed in an open chamber and were exposed to a magnetic field of 1.5 T. There was no measurable motion or displacement of the weights. The results were similar in 6 rats in which gold weights were subcutaneously implanted. Additionally, histologic examination of the implant sites revealed no adverse tissue effects attributable to MRI-generated heating of the implants. When carbon steel implants in the rat model were subjected to the magnetic field, there was no displacement of the implants and no adverse tissue effects were noted, despite the fact that a carbon steel implant in an open chamber demonstrated significant migration. The absence of motion of the gold weight implants combined with the lack of adverse tissue effects suggests the relative safety of performing MRI in patients with previously placed gold weights as upper eyelid implants.
Revue / Journal Title
The Annals of otology, rhinology & laryngology   ISSN 0003-4894   CODEN AORHA2
Source / Source
1995, vol. 104, no6, pp. 448-452 (5 ref.)
Langue / Language
Anglais
Editeur / Publisher
Annals Publishing Compagny, St. Louis, MO, ETATS-UNIS  (1897) (Revue)
Mots-clés anglais / English Keywords
Nuclear magnetic resonance imaging ; Exploration ; Implant ; Surgery ; Technique ; Human ; Upper eyelid ; Weight ; Gold ; Eye disease ;
Mots-clés français / French Keywords
Imagerie RMN ; Exploration ; Implant ; Chirurgie ; Technique ; Homme ; Paupière supérieure ; Poids ; Or ; Oeil pathologie ;
Mots-clés espagnols / Spanish Keywords
Imageria RMN ; Exploración ; Implante ; Cirugía ; Técnica ; Hombre ; Párpado superior ; Peso ; Oro ; Ojo patología ;
Localisation / Location

It looks like it's thought to be safe.  Just thought you'd like to know, but I think you should still ask your doctor before having an MRI.

Wendy
2 cm at time of surgery
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Kaybo

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2008, 02:39:51 pm »
WOW Wendy...were you a librarian or researcher in your past life??   ???   :D
Thanks!

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

wendysig

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2008, 03:41:08 pm »
Hi K,
I worked for The Associated Press for 14 years and did some work in the research department from time to time.  I never throught it would come in handy in my personal life but it has many times -- glad to help.

Wendy
2 cm at time of surgery
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2008, 06:16:47 pm »
Boomer -

Wendy is absolutely correct.

Titanium doesn't set off metal detectors @ the airport or elsewhere - although Lori claims she set off the detectors @ Best Buy once  :D

I have a titanium plate, titanium mesh (and belly fat), and titanium screws in my skull compliments of my AN surgery and a titanium "screw" aka an abutment in my skull compliments of my BAHA surgery.  So, as you can see, I'm worth my weight in titanium  ;)  Hmmmmm; wonder if titanium is a precious metal  ???

I have never set off the security @ the airport - or at any stores.  The good folks at Cochlear America did give me a handy, dandy card that explains what my BAHA is - with photos - in case this should ever happen though  :D  Seriously.

Titanium, disappointingly, doesn't show up on MRI's either - much to my chagrin  :(

Jan

BTW, Wendy - thanks for the great research!  14 years with the AP???  Who knew?
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

AMD

• I'm sorry, could you repeat that?
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2008, 09:12:50 pm »
I agree w/ Wendy and Jan.  Titanium should be fine w/ MRI's and for any detectors.  It is the "metal" of choice now in medicine.  Although, if going for any radiologic testing (MRI, CT scan, PET scan), it is good to ALWAYS disclose all implants to the staff, even if it's titanium.  They are the experts as to what is "OK" or not for their particular scanners.  At least that is the way things are where I work :)

-Amy
Left side 1.7 cm AN diagnosed 7/30/08
Misdiagnosed for 8 + years
Surgery, Sub-occipital, 11/17/2008 at Indiana University Hospital
Left SSD
Tumor much larger than expected. Facial nerves intact, but had RARE swelling resulting in brachial plexus injury and tracheostomy after surgery.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2008, 02:10:43 pm »
Great reminder, Amy.

I had my BAHA implant shortly before my 1st post op MRI and a nurse did ask me about any implants.  Once I told her about my abutment, she went to check with the MRI technician to make sure it wasn't a problem.

It wasn't, but I was told to make sure I disclose this information on future MRIs just so the technician is aware of it.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways