Author Topic: Scars  (Read 2143 times)

Dfcman

Scars
« on: October 07, 2008, 08:48:54 pm »
I had anastamosis almost 2 years ago and sometimes it still looks like I had the surgery recently.  It was SOO bad. Its on my neck below my jaw going up to my ear. I got cortizone shots once a month for six months.  Although it helped a great deal with thickness; the redness is still there.  Some people say its gotten better but I dunno..looks better some days than others.

I have tried a lot of things.  I heard breaking open Vitamin E caplets and rubbing it into the scar has proved effective on surgical scars.....so far nothing.  I have used several bottles of Mederma and it says to use it on old scars for up to six months.  That was almost a year ago.  I have heard low-carb diets help too.  I dunno..maybe.  I've exhausted almost all efforts.  SHould I continue to be patient with these over the counter remedies or should I go with something else.  I am open to suggestions.

Chris
Son of Chrissmom
23 Years Old
AIM is the best way to contact me
5.3 x 4 cm tumor removed by surgery(2 times)
Dr. Arriaga and Dr. Baghai Pittsburgh Allegheny Hospital
Post Op as of 7/20/06

Kaybo

Re: Scars
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2008, 09:08:23 pm »
Chris~
I have always used Vitamin E or wheat germ oil.  I have a LOT of scars - I have just decided that they are SEXY!!  Anyway, when I had the T3 in March, I got some gel from Dr. Byrne called ScarFade.  The tube has a website www.scarfade.com.  It wasn't exactly cheap but a tiny bit goes a LONG way - I can see noticable results - when I remember to use it!!  ::)
Good luck!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

chelsmom

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2008, 09:49:35 pm »
Hi Chris,

It's Michelle, Chelsea's mom.  Chelsea also had a lot of scars all over her neck-trecheotomy, vocal cord surgery, where they took the tubing out that was excised when they had to check for failure-3 times.  Her head and neck surgeon that did the vocal cord surgery had a cosmetic surgeon revise some of the scars and then had the steroid injections afterwards.  That was about 7-8 months after her first brain surgery.  She saw the head and neck surgeon a couple weeks ago for a follow-up and he now wants to revise a couple of the scars that were not worked on before.  He wants to do it over Christmas vacation.  Have you had the doc's look at the scar lately?  Maybe it could also be revised.  Talk to Chelsea about it.  They also had her use a silicon type bandage that lasts for days over the scars.  She might remember the name of them.  Hope you are doing well otherwise.  Tell your Mom hello.

Take Care,
Michelle

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2008, 09:50:22 pm »
"Carol's daughter scar butter"--available at Sephora--has been great.  My scar is almost invisible at just under 3 months.
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2008, 06:24:31 am »
Chris,
  A plastic surgeon may be able to help with scars.  Perhaps something like dermabrasion could help.
Regards,
  Rob
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

lori67

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2008, 11:03:26 am »
Ugh, Chris...I just removed the steri-strips from my 7-12 surgery last night.  The scar looks awful right now, but I'm hoping after 2 years it won't look too bad.

I guess I'll plan on investing in a lot of scar remedies once I'm all healed. 

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Dfcman

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2008, 06:35:50 pm »
Both my plastic surgeon and my AN doctor have told me i'm basically SOL in so many words.  I'm still using alot of over the counter remedies.

sorry to give you low hopes Lori.  I wouldnt give up all hope.  My plastic surgeon said its hard for the scar to heal because its in the beard area or where a beard would grow.
Son of Chrissmom
23 Years Old
AIM is the best way to contact me
5.3 x 4 cm tumor removed by surgery(2 times)
Dr. Arriaga and Dr. Baghai Pittsburgh Allegheny Hospital
Post Op as of 7/20/06

lori67

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2008, 08:42:31 pm »
Oh no, Chris, don't be sorry.  Believe me, I can live with the scars - I earned them!  It would be nice if they didn't jump out at you, but fortunately, I can wear my hair down.  Can't quite get a good beard going though...  :D

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.