Author Topic: MRI's - do they bother you too ??  (Read 1639 times)

Mathilda

MRI's - do they bother you too ??
« on: October 01, 2008, 07:48:29 am »
Well, this is not really just an AN issue, but since it was through an MRI that my AN was discovered I figure it is a valid question to put here.

Is there anybody who, like me, feels horrible for a couple of weeks after having an MRI ?  I feel exhausted afterwards, have a hard time sleeping, every single time my tinnitus has gotten worse and I just feel miserable. The doctors I asked all say that it must be " between the ears" because there are no reported problems with MRI.
With CT yes. So, the last two times they have not even used "the lighting up stuff". The first time, when they did use contrast, I ended up in hospital with heart issues. But nobody seems to know anything about it. Anyone out there who has similar findings ?

Mathilda
Diagnosed in 2006. Recent growth from 7 to 11mm.
Middle fossa surgery at House Ear Clinic on October 16th 2008.
With the results I hoped for: hearing saved; no facial problems.
Just wobbly headed; in need of patience ;)

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: MRI's - do they bother you too ??
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2008, 08:10:14 am »
Hi, Mathilda:

Wow, this is news to me!  I've never had any of the MRI issues you relate and aside from some folks with mild claustrophobia that find the confining MRI head scan apparatus intimidating, I can't recall seeing accounts of such problems following an MRI scan. To my knowledge (admittedly limited) the gadolinium injections are harmless to most folks and necessary to highlight the AN, should one exist.  I'm really sorry to learn that you have these problems with MRI scans but I'm also curious to see if other AN patients have had similar problems. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

andrea in slc

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2008, 08:35:31 am »
I'm sorry you are having problems with the MRIs! I don't know about your other symptoms, but as a medical transcriptionist, I have typed reports where the patient is allergic to the contrast used, so it definately is an issue for some people. Good luck, I hope things settle down for you soon. Even better, that you won't be needing the dang MRIs in the future!  :)

Mathilda

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2008, 11:49:27 am »
It must be me that is strange  ::)  But then..... your can't beat the Dutch  ;D (in being strange)

I hope the whole thingy will be taken out next week so that after a "making sure" MRI I won't be needing them anymore !

Mathilda
Diagnosed in 2006. Recent growth from 7 to 11mm.
Middle fossa surgery at House Ear Clinic on October 16th 2008.
With the results I hoped for: hearing saved; no facial problems.
Just wobbly headed; in need of patience ;)

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2008, 03:42:43 pm »
That's a new one for me, Mathilda.   Unless you have some kind of strange reaction to magnetic fields, your reaction to MRI's is very unusual, I would suppose. 

Keep us posted.

Sue in Vancouver USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode