Author Topic: Will I be able to ride a bicycle, play tennis etc?  (Read 2985 times)

lugnuts

Will I be able to ride a bicycle, play tennis etc?
« on: October 10, 2008, 07:20:25 pm »
I note much balance issues with post treatment with post therapy to help regain balance.  It seems to me that the trans lab approach is more common and causes balance probles but saves the face (is this true?).  Is it expected that I will be able to rehabilite enough to ride a bicycle, play tennis and golf etc?
JD

sgerrard

Re: Will I be able to ride a bicycle, play tennis etc?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2008, 08:03:03 pm »
Check out one of my favorite post-op pics, posted by DHM, formerly known as 4, in this post:

http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=5874.msg56078#msg56078

In addition to biking, I would guess that you can play tennis and golf too - you didn't say play well, mind you.  ;)

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

chocolatetruffle

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2008, 08:32:11 pm »
i started yoga as my rehab at my 2nd month after surgery - as i was not ready for heart pumping cardio activities yet.  i definitely did not yoga well  :D but it works in getting my brain re-trained to various motions and positions. so do what works for you  ;)
chocolatetruffle

2.8 cm left AN
Translab @ House/St Vincent's 11/27/07
Drs. Brackmann, Schwartz, Wilkinson, Stefan

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2008, 09:33:44 pm »
JD -

Translab is supposed to "save the face" better than retrosigmoid, but I'm not sure what the actual statistics are.  It would be interesting to take an informal poll of forum members some time to see what those of us who had surgery have experienced.

IMO it's kind of a crap shoot, since no one can guarantee results.  I had retrosigmoid and I have neither balance issues - although I had them pre op and for a few months post op - nor do I have facial nerve damage.

I was able to ride a bicycle again about 11 months post op.  I might have been able to ride one sooner, but I tried a few months post op, ran my bike into some bushes at the side of the road, and gave up for a while  ::) 

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2008, 03:54:30 pm »
JD:

I had retrosigmoid surgery, like Jan, and had some balance problems post-op but was able to overcome them just by being relatively active.  Well, active for a guy my age, I suppose.  I don't ride a bicycle or run marathons but I do walk a lot, do all the usual stuff like wash the car (by hand) and routinely carry things, although I draw the line at much over 50 pounds.  l handle just about all the housework, due to my wife's spinal problems and resultant physical limitations on bending, stooping and so on.  I'm pretty fit (my BMI is 22) and I get out every day.  So, normal physical activity isn't a problem but if I stumble and lose my balance I don't regain it as quickly as I once did.  It takes me a step or two to regain my equilibrium.   This is hardly an issue at it happens very infrequently and when it does, no one seems to notice.

To answer your question: Nothing can be guaranteed but if you want to play tennis, golf, etc post-op, I'm sure you'll do that.  Barring some serious post-op complication, most AN surgery patients return to their former favorite physical activities.  It may take a bit longer than you'd like but it will likely happen.   I believe that the post-op patient's personal motivation to do things they want to do, like tennis, golf, running marathons, bike riding, etc. is a major factor in regaining the ability to do these things.  Again, no one can absolutely guarantee that.  I'm a bit dubious about whether one type of AN removal surgery is going to offer better recovery time for balance than another, but be that as it may, with no serious post-op complications and being otherwise healthy and motivated, I'm pretty confident that you'll be able to return to your favorite activities after your surgery.  Just don't expect to do it in the first few weeks after the surgery and realize that you'll have to work up to doing what you used to do.  That takes a bit of time and, certainly, patience but its certainly feasible for most post-op AN patients. 

Jim     
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Jeanlea

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2008, 04:41:26 pm »
JD,

If you wish to ride a bicycle, play tennis, golf, etc. after surgery the odds are pretty good that you'll be able to do so.  I had translab and have no real balance problems now.  It will take a little while after surgery, but it will come.  I had my surgery in Sept. of 2005.  Since then I've ridden a bicycle, golfed, and ran a half-marathon.  None of which I do well, but then I didn't do them well before my surgery.  Except maybe bike riding.  lol  I even go down the gravel hills. 
While each person is different in their recovery it would still be realistic to expect to do all these activities again after your surgery.

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

wendysig

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2008, 08:52:18 pm »
Hi JD,

I had translab 10 weeks ago.  I have no facial nerve issues at all.  I do have some balance problems and still walk rather crookedly,  but have gone for vestibular rehab which helped a lot and am continuing the exercises on my own.  A friend of mine is a dance teacher and kindly offered to teach me ballet exercies -- excellent for balance and I am very excited about this as well.  I have decided I am going to get back everything my AN took away and if you have the determination to do it, I'm sure you will be riding your bike, as others have, and playing tennis again too.

Best wishes,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Dog Lover

• My little Sammie Roo.
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2008, 09:21:18 pm »
JD

I agree with Wendy whole heartedly. I am (and have been) determined to get back to MY normal ASAP. Of course, it's not going as fast as I'd like, but then I tend to be a rather impatient person at times. At my 4 week post op appointment my dr. said that she could tell I was very motivated and that i was doing very well. I also went to Vestibular Physical Therapy and do my PT exercises every day in addition to taking at least one nice walk outside (my dogs are loving it).

At almost 8 weeks post op, I am doing well enough that my mom even said she forgets that I had (or still have) some balance problems, I do everything around the house that I did before the surgery (which is everything, as I am single and live alone), even washed the car by hand last weekend. I too wondered about riding a bike again, but I will. Next summer.  ;D  In the mean time, when I get all depressed and frustrated at what I can't yet do, I have my beautiful daughter to remind me of what all i CAN do, that I could not do just 3-4 weeks ago.

Cathy
Cathy
9mm x 3mm Left Side AN
Mid Fossa Aug. 21, 2008
Dr. Gantz / Dr. Woodson
Univ. of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics
No facial issues, hearing saved, I keep active and feel back to normal.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2008, 09:52:47 pm »
Wendy and Cathy -

you both have the right attitude  ;D

Patience is hard to find sometimes, but in time things will get back to normal and if you want to you will ride a bike again, play tennis again, etc.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

cindyj

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2008, 05:54:57 am »
My surgery is Nov 7th and I just signed up for our Winter tennis league which will start in Jan.  Told my husband I could probably play the last few matches, hopefully.  At the very least, I am counting on playing Spring tennis  ;D  (I may be fooling myself, but don't tell me  ;))

Cindyj
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings