Author Topic: Happy to join  (Read 1864 times)

bell

Happy to join
« on: October 20, 2008, 11:10:51 am »
Hi  fellow AN's.  I found your web site last week, boy was I excited.  Diagnosed in July, I finally have a surgery date, Nov. 21st at the Mayo Clinic, MN., process by Retrosigmoid.   I am very pleased with my choice and acceptance at the Mayo.  Now for the surgery and to continue on with life.  Next year will truly be a new year.  Thank you for all of your insight and advice about the tumors. 
Bell 

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
Re: Happy to join
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008, 11:14:16 am »
Welcome, Bell, to the Forum and glad you are here, but sorry you have an AN.  I wish you the best of luck with your treatment and recovery!  Keep us posted on what is going on.  Curious minds want to know.   ;)     

Sue in Vancouver USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

lori67

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2008, 11:50:32 am »
Hi Bell!

Sounds like you have a plan and a positive attitude to go along with it!

Next year will truly be a new year, and you may be able to convince people that November 21st is your "re-birthday" for a few extra gifts next year! ;)

Good luck and keep us all posted!
Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Kaybo

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2008, 12:00:21 pm »
Bell~
Welcome!  Sorry you have to be here but this is a great place to be if you have an Acoustic Neuroma!!  Please feel free to ask us anything - we have all been there and know how it is.  IMO, attitude plays a HUGE role in recovery - sounds like you have a great one!!
Don't be a stranger!

K
PS - I met a girl on-line who had surgery last year at Mayo - it went GREAT and she is doing very well!   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

cindyj

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2008, 01:00:42 pm »
Hi, I'll add my welcome also, Bell!  Know you're relieved to have the decision made and a date confirmed.  Sure you've already learned a lot from this site, but don't hesitate to ask any question you may have.  There's sure to be someone here that can help!

Good luck and do keep us posted - is it freezing up there already?

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2008, 03:40:20 pm »
Hi, Bell:

I guess the line has finally moved far enough along for me to offer you my personal welcome.  :)

We always regret another AN diagnosis but we're also pleased when a newly diagnosed AN patient finds this website and decides to post on the message boards. 

As others have noted, you appear to have a good grip on your situation and have a plan in place.  I hope and will pray that your surgery goes smoothly and your recovery is both rapid and complete. 

I took the liberty of posting your surgery date on our 'AN Treatment Calendar'  http://my.calendars.net/an_treatments/d21/11/2008?authenticate=&display=M&style=B

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2008, 09:48:51 pm »
Hi Bell, and welcome  :)

I had retrosigmoid myself in May 2007.  I walked away SSD (single-sided deaf) but that was the worst of it.

Good luck on the 21st.  I've heard very good things about Mayo; you're in good hands.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

tenai98

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2008, 07:30:37 am »
Welcome Bell to our elite group of ANers..... ;D
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

wendysig

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2008, 07:11:15 am »
Hi Bell,
Welcome to the best place to join if you have an AN.  Feel free to ask any questions or chime in on any subject if you have something to share.  We're all here to help and support each other.  You have a great attitude and the Mayo Clinic has gotten a lot of good publicity herre -- I'm sure you'll be in good hands.  I have to agree with K, a positivie attitude like yours  is a huge help ibefore and after surgery --t makes things seem much easier.

Wishing you all the best,
Wendy

P.S.  Did you post your date on the AN calendar?  If not you can find the link at the bottom of Steve or LADavid's signature.  Please post it so we can make sure we wish you well before your surgery.
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!