Author Topic: I tped my whole surgery and then is disappeared .... so for now some questions..  (Read 5909 times)

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
Hey Denise-
Welcome to the Other Side!!! 

Okay, so the pooping thing - you REALLY don't want to get constipated!  I was so fixated on this that I ate a total vegan diet for a week before I went in the hospital (yes, obsessive!).  I also recommend the Colace - very gentle.  In fact, a little too gentle for my stubborn body, so I supplemented that with LOTS of stewed prunes.  I had my mom make then - she does them with ginger, orange zest and cinnamon and they are like eating a bowl of candy. She was stewing a box of prunes a day for the first week or so.

As for the onset of the period - yep, I had the same thing.  I think it is the steroids.  Doubly irritating for me since I am in the beginning stages of menopause too.  Doesn't seem fair.  Jim, cover your ears.

Dry mouth ... the AN side of my mouth is still dry and I am told it is becasue my mouth isn't making saliva yet on that side, yet another complication of facial paralysis.  Of course, I was almost a 6 on the House scale right after surgery so not much at all was working.  You're already ahead of me!  You go, girl!!

Remember to take it easy -- you just had brain surgery, after all.

Debbi, sending you a hug (can't get the prunes into an email, so will eat them myself...)
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

cindyj

Great to hear from you, Denise!  Congratulations on arriving to your road to recovery.  Others have given good advice (that I am taking notes on for future reference) and I'm sure it is all very helpful.   Really good to know that your balance was NOT an issue - how wonderful!

Well, take it easy and I wish you continued healing,

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

lori67

Cindy,

Everything you always wanted to know about pooping, but were afraid to ask!  See, you didn't even have to ask - you found out anyway!   :D

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Cover yours ear again, Jim  ;)  We've moved from "women's issues" to pooping, again  :D

Like Cheryl, I still get dry mouth on occasion - usually if I talk too much, which surprisingly I'm known to do from time to time  ;D  I don't use the Biotene products anymore, but I've found that drinking lots of water helps.

Denise -

hope you're getting lots of rest - one of the most important parts of post op recovery.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
Hi Denise, Welcome to Postieville!!!  Laci Le Beau tea worked like a charm for me for the poop issue--you can find it at any health food store--drink it before bedtime.

Relax, it's over, now let the healing begin. Keep us posted on your progress and don't hesitate to ask us anything--we have all been in your shoes, or should I say, big, fluffy, bunny slippers, which I hope you are spending plenty of time in!

Hugs,

Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

4cm in Pacific Northwest

Denise,

Re quoting you  “dry eye, I am using drops during the day and lacrilube (which I hate) at night.â€?

Ask Dr Parnes to refer you to someone who can order you a blink-eze eye weight- if he can’t just order one for you himself.
http://www.meddev-corp.com/1%20product/Eyelid%20Closure%20Products/External%20Weights.2.htm
If Dr Agrawal (great guy BTW) is working with him he can fill him in on this gizmo as I did a demo of the eye weight for him - back when he was at Stanford. It is imperative that you keep the eye lubricated as to protect the cornea. One too many AN patients have ended up with damaged corneas. You, as the patient, will have to be vocal, persistent and direct about this. Remember the “E� in ENT does not stand for “eye�.

Did they give you any eye bubbles to take home?
https://store.medtronicent.com/home.php?cat=277

RE
“have not gone to the bathroom yet - am kind of nervous to take laxatives.�

Don’t let this go too long. You should at least be on collace
http://www.webmd.com/drugs/drug-4576-Colace+Oral.aspx?drugid=4576&drugname=Colace+
I did let it go to long and I was a wreck. Finally my doctor suggested the Dulcolax suppository.
http://www.drugs.com/cdi/dulcolax-suppositories.html

It is the pain medication (I am guessing you are on either Vicodin or percocet) that is causing this- plus the fact that fluid intake is often restricted post-neurosurgery. If you have not pooped by today – you need to tell your surgeon this.

RE
“- still some double vision ......�
The double vision I had was from swelling that caused temporary nystagmus.
 I was put on Diamox …
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acetazolamide
…to alleviate this
It is a nasty diuretic but it did reduce my brain swelling, my vision went back to normal… and that stuff really makes you poo and pee… but it does create more nausea and fatigue (best to take it before bed) Really REALLY insist that your neurotologist refer you to an ophthalmologist… Both the dry eye and the double vision need to be addressed… not ignored.

The period kicking in is actually a good thing as you will not be dealing with water retention, after surgery, which can exasperate things.

Hang in there Denise… you WILL get through this. :)

DHM …aka “4�
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

4cm in Pacific Northwest

Denise,

More eye care info...

http://www.bellspalsy.ws/eye.htm

DHM
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
Denise!
Everything you are experiencing is normal.  EVERYTHING.  So, hang in there, and PM me if you want. We can chat by phone.  Just fyi, I haven't had a period since surgery, so I'm either in menopause or somehow got pregnant on the operating table.  ;D
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

cin605

Hi Marcy-No worries...my surgery was 6/26/08 never got mine till 9/14/08.I was a little worried  ??? severa (-) results & $44.00 later.I ate a bunch of chocolate & said yup it will be here.
2cm removed retrosig 6/26/08
DartmouthHitchcock medical center lebanon,N.H.
43yrs old

4cm in Pacific Northwest

... Try to add a heat wrap to your neck for 10 minute intervals and then use a warmed oil( even olive oil will work and iis safe) then ask for a very , very gentle massage from hubby.... Donnalynn

In the earlier stage of recovery I was told to avoid heat as it can increase swelling. I was allowed to use only ice- for 12 minute intervals (as to avoid frostbite) ... Check with the DR before doing the heat... swelling in the head and neck can make the double vision worse.

Just a thought....

The key is to always bring up these issues with your physician until you are in the clearing...

Healing does happen - with time.

DHM