Author Topic: Facial Therapy/ EMG  (Read 3222 times)

mimoore

• Believe!
Facial Therapy/ EMG
« on: October 15, 2008, 03:10:38 pm »
Okay so I am slacking sorry.. update time... I went for facial therapy and Joanne is awesome. I have been waiting to see her until I got some movement. I have a wee blink and a tiny bit of movement near my mouth and nose. Soooo I have exercises to strenghten these areas. I do not have movement in my forehead or cheek so we are waiting for nature to take its course and then concentrate on those areas.
Oh and I live north of Toronto so I am going to try something called telehealth at my local hospital. I sit in front of a monitor (at my hospital) and Joanne sits in front of a monitor (at her hospital) and visits and retraining are done this way. YIPPEEE no more long driving for a visit. Although between you and me I would drive all day to see her and get things on track, but I don't have to.

So today I went for an EMG (wee needles in your face to see if the nerve responds to stimulation) and as you know I have movement around my mouth and nose, well the nerve did not respond in that area - I am thinking "okay this is weird". He explained that the nerve from my good side has grown over and helping out.  :o :o :o Whatever I don't understand but who am I to question. The forehead - nothing. The eye has started to regenerate (hense the tiny blink). Yeah!!!!!!!! Could take months before I have full recovery in the eye back (if it does fully recover) so I went to see a facial plastic surgeon and I am having a thin platinium internal weight put in and a tightening of the lower lid that is sagging a bit (it is tired of hanging around without support). All that under a local and in one hour, I waited WHY? Honestly I was holding out for recovery of my eye, I am too tired of the dumb eye. Oh and he said he was not sure if my eye is dry because it is exposed all of the time or the tear gland has shut down. Either way this will really help.
I want to get it all organized because I was offered a full time job in kindergarten to start in January. Did I tell you the greater universe is taking care of me.
Oh and Trish please PM me if you are interested in any contact numbers in regards to facial retraining or the facial plastic surgeon (in TO) - I will help in any way I can.
Michelle :)
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

calimama

Re: Facial Therapy/ EMG
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2008, 07:31:19 pm »
HI Michelle,

Thanks for the update and offer of great information/contacts... you are making this too easy for me!  ;)
I will enquire at 6 months about whether facial therapy would be helpful and get Joanne's contact info after that.

When will you be getting the eye weight?

Trish
Left 2.9cm CP Angle AN discovered Jan 2008. Retrosig surgery June 2, 2008 Toronto, Canada. Facial paralysis and numbness, double vision (4th nerve), SSD. DV totally recovered in 4th month; palsy started to recover slowly around month 7. Had twin boys 13 months after surgery. Doing great.

jazzfunkanne

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2008, 05:28:15 am »
Hi its still early days for you, my face is just starting to have good movement  and thats 22 months down the line, the exercies really help, i got told to do mine lying down so the muscles dont tire easily.
over 4.5cm AN removed dec 06

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2008, 06:44:21 am »
Trish you let me know when you want that information and I will be here for you. Maybe one day we could meet in TO, have a tea and make faces at each other to strengthen our muscles.  ::) ::)
I am waiting on an appointment, the sooner the better.
Michelle  ;D
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

MKLady

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2008, 05:30:49 pm »
Michelle,

I'm so glad you updated us.  I have read a lot of your posts and they always reassure me.  Your progress is slightly ahead of mine even though my surgery was in April.  I watch what happens to you and hope I'll be next.  The day you reported that someone saw your eye blink, someone also told me the same thing.  Then your mouth.  well mine began moving at the corner 1 1/2 weeks ago.  Two days later my emg showed no nerve regeneration.  Now I know why.  The doctor that tested me did not really explain how the nerves on the opposite side can cross over. I see my surgeon next week to go over the test.  Maybe he will explain further.

I loved your 4 month progress report with the questions you asked and the answers you were given.  I had not heard that I should get my heart rate up with aerobics.  I've now started walking and working out at Curves again.  I'm also taking a B12 vitamin and doing heat treatments.  Can't remember if that was in your progress but someone on the site mentioned it.  I've learned more about post-surgical options here than anywhere else.  I really appreciate everyone sharing their experiences.

Susan
Translab 4/10/2008; 1.3 cm; total facial paralysis left side.

LADavid

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2008, 06:49:12 pm »
Excellent news, Michelle.  Glad your seeing a therapist.  It's made a world of difference for me.  It's been nearly 11 months since my surgery and five months of PT  -- I can see the difference over the past few months.  Although I still have no movement in my forehead.  Closing my eye though was the best thing.  Keep up the good work!
David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2008, 06:54:37 pm »
That is awesome Susan!
I used to get discouraged when I saw others progressing and I was not. I felt kind of guilty for not being happier but I was so down and thought "Oh great they have movement and it is never going to happen to me." Funny how negative emotions can affect you so much. I then learned that nerves are quirky things and they will do whatever they what whenever they want doesn't matter how bad you want it and we all progress at different rates.  I stay positive and know all will turn out the way it should - don't my nerves know who I am? hehehe ;D
Michelle  :o

cush

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2008, 05:21:28 pm »
I am 3 years since translab surgery. I was tested with emg after 2 years and had no nerve function. The dr. wanted to do a hypoglossal nerve graft based on the emg test. The nerosurgeon felt I should wait as once the facial nerve is severed their is no chance of more nerve  recovery.
amazeingly less than a month later I started getting facail movement to my cheek and can now slightly move my forehead and eye.

Please be patient and kind to yourself and let your nerves heal, I may never get it all back but I am still getting better. I manage my eye
sleep better, don't drool too often and have learned to smile with my bad side so my smile is balanced. there is hope of long term recovery. my advice is keep smiling its good exercise.... cush