Author Topic: I need words of wisdom  (Read 4642 times)

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
Re: I need words of wisdom
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2008, 07:47:26 am »
Buckeye kids rock. 
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

LADavid

« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2008, 05:53:57 pm »
Hi Kristen

Having had a 24 year old daughter at the time see me through my surgery, I respect and commend you.  It's a tough thing for children to have to face their parent's vulnerability.  If you are interested in getting in touch with her let me know.

Meanwhile, in addition to Marci, there were several people from Ohio that you might want to get in touch with.  Two that come to mind are oHIo and Melissa (I don't remember the numbers after her name).  And speaking of Melissa, she was concerned about her facial nerves as well and asked that they only remove the part of the tumor that wouldn't affect the facial nerve. As it was, the surgeons had to leave some that later zapped with radiation.  At last I read, I think everything worked out for Melissa.  I understand your mother's concern being a public person.  I was an actor working on Big Shots a year ago today.  I would suggest your mom pursue the course that Melissa took.

Keep asking questions.  You'll find a lot of answers here.  And thanks for being a great daughter to your mom.

David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

kdmayb07

« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2008, 07:37:34 pm »
wow, my family was shocked to find out that you can get a free second opinion via phone! that's so exciting! =D

and it's also great to know that there's an option like only removing half of the tumor! you guys are amazing hehe

wendysig

« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2008, 09:22:35 pm »
Hi Kristin,
Sorry I am late coming to this thread but I haven't been on as much as usual or when I have not as long as usual.  I wanted to welcome you to this forum and ask you to encourage your mom to check it out too.  She may read some things here that a kind of scary, but we are a supportive group and I think she will find this a wonderful source of information and comfort.  I also wanted to say how wonderful I think you are to look out for your mom the way you are.  Please feel free to ask any and all questions you have -- more than likely someone can offer some good advice or point you in the right direction.

Best wishes to you and your family,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2008, 11:25:41 am »
HI Kristin-  yes, definitely check out House Ear Clinic.  I sent them a copy of my mri cd and got a call back within 24 hours from Dr. House (the son, not the founder).  It was very helpful and was the first of three medical opinions that I got.  I opted to have surgery closer to home in NYC, but am quite certain that I would have been very well cared for at House had I chosen to travel cross country. 

Hopefully you will hear from Debbie (OHio) as I know she had surgery in Ohio.

BTW, I should mention that there are many of us here who are very willing to talk to you or your mom if/when you are ready.  Just say the word.

Stay well,
Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2008, 01:37:55 pm »
As my sig says, I had surgery (a very LONG surgery) in May.  As you can see by my pictures posted in "AN Issues" section Topic "Tinnitus at extremes" (or here:  http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=7909.15), I have very little facial problems left over and they say they got the whole tumor (my 1 yr MRI will be very telling I think). 

You have received great words of encouragement and advice, so I won't dwell into that.  But, I will say that not everyone is the same.  We all recover at different rates, we all have different issues to overcome, etc.. What you all can best do is prepare for the worst but pray for the best.  Ultimately, it's out of your control (somewhat) what issues are left over.  If you do the research into all the various ways it can turn out and deal with the actuality when it happens, then the better you are.  I've had my "bumps in the road" along the way (spent 4 days over the summer in the hospital with a reaction to some meds I was on), but after it all I'm doing great and leading a very active, "normal" busy life.  Your mom can too!

I'm more than willing to talk.  Either you or your mom are welcome to PM me your questions.

Regards,

Brian

PS  Sorry for the late entry.  :)
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager