Author Topic: Surgery date set  (Read 3399 times)

Kim Zingale

• My AN Blog
Surgery date set
« on: December 19, 2008, 04:03:08 pm »
My appointments on Wednesday at Johns Hopkins went well, and I went ahead and scheduled my surgery for Feb. 9. I'll be doing the retrosigmoid approach by Drs. Carey and Tamargo. My MRI last week showed a 1-2 mm growth in all directions since August, so I'd like to get this thing out of my head sooner rather than later. We decided to try to save the hearing because I have 60-70% of my hearing remaining and 80% word recognition. They didn't think there would be any problem in getting the part that's in the IAC.

I asked Dr. Tamargo about what happens when they have to leave a portion of the tumor on the facial nerve. He said that they leave as little as possible and then run an electric current through it to try and kill some of the cells and stunt any growth. He said it is pretty rare to have something like that keep growing.

Overall I am pretty optimistic about things and feel better knowing when it's going to happen. And I am very confident in my team of doctors and the quality of care that I will receive. In addition to the AN, I also have Type 1 diabetes, so I am very interested in the management of that while I am somewhat incapacitated during the first day or two, but my doctors have been able to address those concerns and put me at ease.

So that's my update for now. Happy holidays!!

Kim
Retrosigmoid surgery Feb. 9, 2009 at Johns Hopkins with Drs. Tamargo and Carey.
http://adventureswithmanny.blogspot.com

1cANAdian

• I'm just 1cANAdian
Re: Surgery date set
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2008, 04:29:18 pm »
Hi Kim,

Sounds like you've certainly got the right attitude going into your surgery.  Being well educated on the process and possible outcomes is so important, and the forum can assist in that area. 

I didn't know surgeons could run an electrical current down the nerve to try to reduce the possibility of further growth.  I'll have to remember to ask my surgeon about that.

Best of luck to you as you go through your journey!

Cheers!

Ken
Right side trans lab surgery on Dec 8th, 2008
4+ cm AN removed
Post Op Symptoms: SSD, tinnitus, facial numbness, minor balance issues, weakened facial nerve
Attitude: POSITIVE

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2008, 04:38:23 pm »
Kim,

Agreed.  Congratulations on setting a surgery date with a team of doctors.  A large hurdle is out of the way now.  Kudos to you.

I, too, have never heard of "run[ning] an electrical current through" the tumor to kill off (or try to) any cells that remain.  I'd be interested in more about that as well.

It's good that you're confident in your doctor's and course of treatment.  That positive attitude will help tremendously.

Regards,

Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2008, 04:57:04 pm »
Hi, Kim:

I'm pleased to add my 'thumbs up' to the string of congratulatory posts you're receiving on arriving at a decision on the surgery date, doctors and facility.  This is a biggie and once accomplished, you can prepare mentally and physically for the surgery and what I'm sure will be a smooth and timely recovery. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

NL

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2008, 05:10:24 pm »
Hi Kim,

Congratulations on making your decision with your treatment, doctors, and approach. Making a treatment decision can be so exhausting, so hopefully now you'll be able to relax a little over the holidays. :)

It's good to hear that your doctors are addressing all your concerns and putting you at ease. I really feel choosing a medical team that makes you feel comfortable and confident is one of the most important aspects of a treatment decision. In my own experience, the faith and confidence I had in my surgical team helped me to stayed relaxed and focused as my surgery date neared. Looks like your optimism and great attitude will be a great help to you, too!

Enjoy the holidays!

Nancy L
1.6 cm left AN diagnosed Oct. '07
1.9 cm on 2nd MRI, May '08
Retrosigmoid surgery at House Clinic/St. Vincent's on 8/6/08
(no post-op dizziness, nausea, facial or balance issues)
Thankful for a fantastic team of doctors - Dr. Rick Friedman, Dr. Marc Schwartz, & Dr. Michael Stefan

sgerrard

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2008, 05:23:41 pm »
Hi Kim,

Sounds like a plan! Congratulations on setting the date. Enjoy the holidays!

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2008, 05:34:07 pm »
Congratulations, Kim.

Making a treatment decision can really take a load off of your mind.  IMO the retrosigmoid approach is a good idea; it's always been my thought that if you have serviceable hearing, why not try to save it.  I hope everything works out well for you.

Did you remember to put your surgery date on the AN Calendar?  You'll find the link listed in Steve's profile.

Enjoy the holidays.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

catlover

• 13 days post-op. I still have my smile!
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2008, 06:08:56 pm »
Hi Kim,
Congratulations on having the date set and that you feel comfortable with your team of doctors! I think it is very important to feel calm when you have decided which approach to have and also what team you allow to get near your head  ;)

I'm also getting calmer when I read what you're writing. We both have chosen the retrosigmoid approach to, hopefully, preserve the hearing. I also know that you have been worried about not getting the whole AN away with that approach. That's exactly how my thoughts have been spinning around in my head the last couple of weeks, since my doctors suggested the retorsigmoid instead of translab, which I've prepared myself for.

Anyway, right now I'm on my way to kill the balance nerve. I saw my doctor last Tuesday and got two injections through the ear drum and I'm doing a lot of balance exercises right now to try to avoid dizziness. Hopefully, the balance nerve on the good side takes over the control and handles the balance all by itself soon.

It makes me so happy to hear that there shouldn't be any problems to get the whole AN out of the IAC with the retrosigmoid. I've worried a lot about that too. It's interesting to hear that the doctors can put an electric current through any rest of the AN to avoid regrowth. I've never heard of that! Did the doctors tell you when they put the electric current through the AN? Is that goingt to happen when the head is "open" or is it like some kind of radiation?

Good luck on your decision and have a nice weekend!

Best wishes,

Helene
AN found in February, 2006, size 0,8 cm
Surgery 20th May, 2009, retrosigmoid approach
SSD and balance issues
Forever grateful to Dr Siesjo and Dr Kahlon, University Hospital of Lund, Sweden
Two AN:s found 1st March, 2016
Waiting for GK

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2008, 06:57:22 pm »
Kim-

Congrats on setting a date!  Now, try to relax and enjoy the holidays and not worry too much.  Easier said than done, I know. 

Interesting foodnote - I'm not diabetic, but apparently the steroids elevate your blood sugar, so I was getting insulin injections while I was in the hospital.  No one had mentioned that to me, so it came as a bit of a surprise and I recall chalenging the first nurse who came in with the insulin syringe - poor thing!  Imagine a morphed up woman in a turban trying to tell her what to do!   :D

I hope you are able to have a restful and peaceful holiday.

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

hruss

• young and cheerful!
    • I made this group to help others!! (the group is in Bulgarian and in English)
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2008, 04:22:19 am »
hello Kim,

it was very soothing for me to know the date! before that you live in somewhat chaos, having set the date however is half of the work done!!! by the time you you it, you will be already a postie!! times flies!!

Debbie, I am not diabetes either and have never had an idea they put you injections for that!! something no one warned me was when every morning they put me an injection in my leg against tombose! i even wore anti-trombose stockings till the last day in the hospital!!! they had become part of me!! yax!! and since i have a phobia to injections it was a very unpleasant experience!!  :-\

But i survived, like Kim will!!! 

warm Christmas and happy New year's eve to all of you!!
hrissy
hrissy

4.5cm right AN pressing on the brain stem, dn Sept 2007
2 Retrosigm surgeries in Oct 2007 and Jan 2008 by the Bulgarian prof. Kyrkeselian partially removed.
3rd retro surgery in Hannover,Germany by prof Samii, Oct 2008. SSD
Got rid of my bugger, temp facial paresis
hrissysexperiences.blogspot.co

HCSTARWIND

• attitude is 90%
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2008, 12:47:51 pm »
Hi Kim-

You have been in my thoughts. Your my daughters age and I wish you all the best with your upcoming surgery at Johns Hopkins.  Now enjoy the Holidays.

I did make an appointment with Dr. Michael Holliday at JH. It is Jan. 5th 2009. I have my list of questions in hand and hope to find some resolution to this long watch and wait mode I've been. I understand each case is different.

I mainly want to know " what quality of life" can I expect to have after any treatment is done. Also I want desperately to work in my profession for another 3 years. I realize that this may or maynot be an option.

Anyway, good luck to you and Have a wonderful Holiday. Helen
Dx, AN left IAC, 3x9x2x3mm. Now 5x5mm , Nov. 07. Watch and wait for now.

wendysig

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2008, 08:28:04 am »
Hi Kim,
Congratulations on making your treatment choice.  Now that that decision is behind you, I hope you can enjoy the holidays.   Everything starts falling into place since rom here on, it's  pretty much in the doctor's hands.  Feel free to continue asking whatever questions you have though both of us and your doctors.  They sound great and I'm sure you'll be in good hands.

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

elderbirds

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2008, 10:02:54 pm »
Hi Kim
I had my surgery in April at Hopkins (different team of docs).  they monitor blood glucose levels very carefully because they steroids throw them out of wack.  I f you have any questions about the hospital experience, pm me, I'd be happy to talk to you.  It is a big relief to have a date set.  Congrats
Hope

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2008, 12:29:30 pm »
Kim:

Congratulations on making a decision. For me that was the hardest part. I hope that you are enjoying the holidays and are calm as you await your surgery date. You will be ok.

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

cherrypiper

• Hope is what this is all about
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2008, 06:40:48 pm »
ok Kim good for you................... 8)

NOW try and relax, keep busy and dont over educate your self with all this and thats.........

BEST advice i got from a friend was "is this LIFE threatening surgery steve?"

No major yes, life , for me, no...............Then DONT make it so................

good for you and check in with us 8)
10 mm x 2.4mm surgery date 12/03/07

glad to be here