Author Topic: Not AN Related, Vitamin D Deficiency Something to think about  (Read 1915 times)

Raydean

Not AN Related, Vitamin D Deficiency Something to think about
« on: December 05, 2008, 05:26:38 pm »
Here's something to think about, or maybe ask your Doctor about during your annual physical. There are many valid reasons to ask your doctor to test your Vitamin D levels.  It's involves much more then rickets milk and sunshine.  Do a Google search on the subject and you'll see my concern.  I was surprised by the list of diseases and risks associated with this deficiency.  In the search for answers to my daughters health problems the test showed her to be profoundly deficent in Vitamin D. I know in my heart that a part of her health issues are related to this.  I am so thankful for the doctor who added this test to the 12 vials of blood they took that day.   

Vitamin D deficiency symptoms

Vitamin D deficiency may be characterized by muscle pain, weak bones/fractures, low energy and fatigue, lowered immunity, symptoms of depression and mood swings, and sleep irregularities. Women with renal problems or intestinal concerns (such as IBS or Crohn’s disease) may be vitamin D deficient because they can neither absorb nor adequately convert the nutrient.

Anyway it's something to think about  I am not advising anyone to go out and take Vitamin D.
I am saying if you haven't found answers to some health issues, you might want to be checked.

Hugs
Raydean
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
Re: Not AN Related, Vitamin D Deficiency Something to think about
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2008, 05:57:15 pm »
quote from
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"adequate amounts of vitamin D3 can be made in the skin after only ten to fifteen minutes of sun exposure at least two times per week to the face, arms, hands, or back without sunscreen. With longer exposure to UVB rays, an equilibrium is achieved in the skin, and the vitamin simply degrades as fast as it is generated.[1]"

so get out a walk 2 times a week !!!
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2008, 05:59:53 pm »
My regular doctor suggested I add Vitamin D, so I take it in the winter time.  I live in SW Washington state, and we don't get enough sun in the winter months.  So, I've added that pill to my vitamin and calcium pills I take.  If you live in the northern climes it's something to consider.

Sue in the northern climes
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Raydean

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2008, 06:29:51 pm »
Joef

It's not as simple as getting out and walking in the sun.  In researching this i found that the north south line mentioned is basically from Los Angeles across.  Living North of this line puts you at risk of being deficient.  Other contributing factors include protective clothing and sun blocking aids.  Where i live, in SW Washington and alot closer to the coast means endless cloudy days, even in summer.  I wish it was as simple as being able to walk in the sun twice a week.  heck we can go weeks without seeing the sun.

It's a fairly easy fix if a person is found to be deficient.  The list of health conditions and diseases that are associated with this makes this an issue to consider and to be aware of.

Best regards
Raydean

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

lacey7

• Prayer means everything to me.
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2008, 11:44:43 pm »
my rheumotologist checked me for vitamin D deficiency.  I was really low, so I have to take 3,000 UI a day.  It is something that is very important to be aware of.
I live in Michigan, so we hardly ever see the sun in the winter.  But, it was in the summer that I was diagnosed.
Thanks for bringing this up, so people can be aware of having it checked.
Lacey
Diagnosed 4/15/08.
AN - 1.4 cm.  Translab surgery 6-26-08.  SPF leak 7-5-08, and went back into surgery 7 -6-08.
SSD left side, after surgery
Dr. LaRoure - Providence Hospital, Southfield, MI.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2008, 05:15:00 pm »
Thanks, Raydean: 

I take 1000 mg of vitamin D every day, sleep like a baby and never feel depressed.  :)

I have no idea whether taking vitamin D is contributing  to my overall well-being because I also take vitamin C (500mg daily) and Calcium (600 mg) - on the advice of my doctor.  However, I realize that these vitamins are necessary and for various reasons, I probably don't get enough of them from food and sunshine (I live in New England).  I view vitamin supplements as a simple health aid and while I make no specific vitamin recommendations, I would advise anyone who is curious to ask their doctor about the benefits, if any, of taking vitamin supplements. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.