Author Topic: Frustrated ...  (Read 5849 times)

msuscottie

• Postie x 3
    • mytooma - the acoustic neuroma blog
Frustrated ...
« on: August 23, 2006, 08:17:33 am »
Hi All,

Sorry I'm not posting as much as I use to. I still try to browse through the forums here and there, but life keeps getting in the way of my posting time! Anyway, I'm just shy of 2 years post op from my first surgery and about 6 months post-op from my second surgery. I'm typically a "glass half-full" guy, but I'm getting pretty frustrated lately. Since my first surgery (10/7/04) the left side of my head/face has been competely numb which leads to eye problems, weakness on that side of my face, of course my hearing is gone, blah, blah, blah. I don't mean to complain cause it could be a lot worse, but I've just been hoping, as so many many people say, that the feeling would come back in my face and it just isn't happening. I'm really frustrated with it, but what can you really do? Anyone have feeling come back after 2 years?

Thanks

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
Re: Frustrated ...
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2006, 08:30:16 am »

I'm one year .. and was wondering the same questions!

Do you recall if they told you after the surgery(s) if the facial nerve "tested" ok? they did for me ..and it has been changing of late (the tingles and zaps) .. so I'm not giving up hope yet.
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

Peanut

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2006, 08:33:47 am »
Scott,
All I can contribute, in hopes that such can happen for you in the area of facial sensation, is that despite several  doctors telling me that my window for healing was closed, I have experienced VERY SLOW but continuing improvement in several areas.  Best example  my eye on AN side, which gave considerable trouble.  I couldn't even watch a TV screen happily four weeks after surgery.  Had punctum plugs installed,  used drops, non preservative, and ointment at night. 
Well, glass half full, for a year now (April 2003 was surgery, same size as yours) I have been able to read in a sustained fashion.  My eye closes much better, there is documented improvement. 
Don't know about the face but hope there could be an analogy.  My face still feels different on AN side but it is not noticeable to the untrained eye.  I do have a terrible time with this Forum's font size on the screen, this, for composing.  Preview makes it much easier.
Good luck to you.  I believe that time is still on our side.  I do have proof.  I am much stronger. Not up to working  or working out  again, still, but more stamina than earlier on.  For me the recovery is long and somewhat arduous.  I sympathize, because lately I too have finally acknowledged some psychological effects from becoming worn down by pain.  Still, it is better than two years ago, that's for sure.
Peanut
3.5 cm AN total resection via suboccipital  April 2003 Barker & McKenna, MGH Boston one week, two weeks Spaulding Rehab
silicone punctal plugs in lower puncta for dry eye,
persistent post op head pain
Acupuncture, craniosacral treatments, Tramadol   200  reduced to 150, now 100mg. daily Feb 2007

pattibobatti

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2006, 09:00:27 am »
Goodmorning,

I recently read to pat the numb side of your face...  I have for 2 days and I have less sensitivity on that side. Something so little and it helps!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm going to John Hopkins in a month for facial re-animation surgery, so I'll have lots to tell  you.

Pattibobatti
17 mm AN removed 1-16-06
  retrosigmoid
  paralysis, cornea transplant,avascular necrosis

'Are we having fun yet?'

Crazycat

• Self-Portrait/ "Friends, Romans, countrymen...."
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2006, 11:16:11 am »
Still numb on left side but improving ever........so........slow..........ly.  Still a touch of double vision as well. Other than that, I'm feeling pretty good! Hopefully the damned thing won't grow back!!

Paul
5cm x 5cm left-side A.N. partially removed via Middle Fossa 9/21/2005 @ Mass General. 
Compounded by hydrocephalus. Shunt installed 8/10/2005.
Dr. Fred Barker - Neurosurgeon and Dr. Michael McKenna - Neurotologist.

Pembo

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2006, 11:19:12 am »
Scott the facial retrainer I see said that sensation can take 5 years + to return. He also recommended massage, tapping, and using a handheld massager to help in sensation. Keep the faith....I had a hard time emotionally after the first surgery, I can't imagine what you are going through. Stay strong and we're here........
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2006, 11:45:11 am »
Scott,
I was told after my surgery that none of my nerves were damaged.  Almost thirteen months post op, my smile droops and I have no feeling in the right side of my head.  I started reflexology (thanks, Nan, for reminding me that was an option) and I can know feel my hand on my face.  Vast improvement.  I say, whatever works and never give up.
BrendaO ::)
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

msuscottie

• Postie x 3
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2006, 08:46:06 am »
What is reflexology?

Sefra22

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2006, 09:15:43 am »
Does anyone know if it would help to strengthen the facial muscles before surgery?  I found a site with some good exercises, and I am hoping if I keep it up, it may help down the road.
Lisa from Portland, Maine age 46
Diagnosed June 2006
15mm X 17mm AN right side 80% hearing loss
GK March 14,2007 Dr. Noren, Providence RI
1 Year follow-up MRI shows "slight shrinkage".
2 Year follow-up MRI shows "No Change".
3 Year follow-up MRI "stable".
BAHA surgery 4-22-09 BP100 Sept. 2009

nannettesea

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2006, 10:35:46 am »
Scott,
Reflexology is intense acupressure-type work (hits pressure points without needles) to the hands and feet. It unblocks "blocked" energy points in the body.
Nan
1.7cm x 1.4cm x .8cm, right ear
Trans-lab approach
Dr. Jay Rubinstein, U of WA
8/29/05

Peanut

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2006, 11:35:26 pm »
Lisa, Where are you planning to have surgery in January?
Peanut
3.5 cm AN total resection via suboccipital  April 2003 Barker & McKenna, MGH Boston one week, two weeks Spaulding Rehab
silicone punctal plugs in lower puncta for dry eye,
persistent post op head pain
Acupuncture, craniosacral treatments, Tramadol   200  reduced to 150, now 100mg. daily Feb 2007

Obita

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2006, 04:51:13 pm »
Scott:

I still get the cheek twitching two years and three months post op.  Not every day, but probabaly monthly.  It happens a few times in one day and nothing for another month or more.  I think my AN side cheek is still lifting a little but I could also be nuts.

Kathy
Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

Sefra22

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2006, 05:26:45 am »
Lisa, Where are you planning to have surgery in January?
Peanut

I will be having my surgery at Maine Medical Center. My surgeon performs this procedure at least once monthly, so I feel pretty confident with him.
Lisa from Portland, Maine age 46
Diagnosed June 2006
15mm X 17mm AN right side 80% hearing loss
GK March 14,2007 Dr. Noren, Providence RI
1 Year follow-up MRI shows "slight shrinkage".
2 Year follow-up MRI shows "No Change".
3 Year follow-up MRI "stable".
BAHA surgery 4-22-09 BP100 Sept. 2009

msuscottie

• Postie x 3
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2006, 06:36:30 am »
Hopefully I'll have some twitching soon!