Author Topic: Postie Priscilla  (Read 4240 times)

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
Re: Postie Priscilla
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2008, 05:20:19 pm »
Hi to all,

I continue to move at my usual pace....faster than a crawl, slower than a shuffle. A t1 week post-op, today was the day that I actually felt somewhat unbalanced. I am okay in the morning, and then slow down at lunch ..and  down, down down!  I am actually trying really hard to get weaned off drugs.  I came home w/only Tylenol 3 and a stool softener, but the Tylenol 3 just makes me feel stupid and slow.  Maybe stoned.  Never tried that, but that might be a good description.  Haven't had a killer headache in a couple of days, and find that Excedrin works pretty well.   I do think I could use something to help me sleep at night, though.  I'm having a hard time sleeping.  And I have little bits of music literally stuck in my head, and hear it faintly from time to time, like the little musical sign off from an old radio show.  My family is highly amused by that one, and keep asking what stations I'm picking up.  Don't know what to say! ??? ???

Yesterday I was a little weepy.  I think the euphoria of getting it over with, and the adrenalin feeling of "Woo, Hoo!" wore off, and I was left with the reality of an 60 yr. old body trying to make a comeback from something bigger than it had ever dealt with before.  I have been very low key today, and am taking baby steps, as directed by all you veterans out there!  I am also dealing with the emotion and gratitude of a swifter than most recovery, and am feeling very humbled by the very large blessing that I was given.

Food still has no real appeal, but I eat enough to keep my daughter happy.  She has given up most of her Christmas break to stay with me, and I want her to fell like she is accomplishing something :D

Love to all,
Priscilla
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

1cANAdian

• I'm just 1cANAdian
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2008, 07:00:21 pm »
Hello Priscilla!

You, and a number of other people, said post op was like being hit by a truck.  Mine was definitly a bus.  Yup, a  big old bus. 

Glad to hear your operation went well and that there are no big issues to deal with.  I'm at the 9th day post op, so can very much relate to where you are at.  Having an appetite is not an issue for me.  Probably the opposite.  Eating too much for my activity level.

As others advise, keep the goals and expectations realistic. and you'll seldom be let down on your progress.  Keep up the positive energy too.  You cannot go too far wrong with feeling good.

Best of luck to you!

Cheers,

Ken
Right side trans lab surgery on Dec 8th, 2008
4+ cm AN removed
Post Op Symptoms: SSD, tinnitus, facial numbness, minor balance issues, weakened facial nerve
Attitude: POSITIVE

sgerrard

« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2008, 08:35:17 pm »
Hi Priscilla,

I think both you and Ken are heading into the next stage of recovery, where you realize that while you have finished your first week, you have only started your first month. This is where you have to accept that it will take a little while to get everything going again. By the new year you will be feeling much better.

Meanwhile, try to enjoy the down time, and a gentle version of the holiday festivities. Peace and quiet, as my dad likes to say.  :)

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2008, 09:05:13 pm »
Priscilla, great to hear from you!  As others have said, you are VERY early in the recovery process.  Give it some time and just enjoy the time off (as much as you can).  Your appetite and endurance will come back over time.  From what I remember, you guys are more than on track with your recovery.

At least your not alone picking up weird radio stations.  Now, if they start talking (or singing) in Russian, I'd be a little worried.  ;)

Regards,

Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2008, 06:32:40 pm »
Hi Priscilla (and Ken!),
Sounds like things are progressing pretty well.  It's interesting that you hear snippets of music.  I wonder if your surgeons were playing music?  I did and said a lot of weird things for the first several weeks of my recovery and I had also gotten off the heavy meds relatively quickly.  I also learned that my unsteadiness was made worse by the happy pills, but I did take them at night so that I could sleep.  Maybe you could try that?  As everyone has said, be prepared for the slow recovery progress.  It's caused me to have more patience than I ever thought myself capable of!

Be well, both of you,
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

cherrypiper

• Hope is what this is all about
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2008, 07:21:04 pm »
so glad it went well Young lady !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!keep in touch  8)
10 mm x 2.4mm surgery date 12/03/07

glad to be here

Keeping Up

« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2008, 03:16:33 pm »
Priscilla

I am sure you read others recovery stories and that has given you some relief to what you are experience now.  Thanks for the posts, as a newbie, it is good to see the reality of the other side.

Take care, be patient - and be thankful, somewhat, that you won't be struck by the Christmas weight gain.  We aren't eating much here this week - we are stuffed like a foie gras!

Ann
dx Dec/08 - 5mm x 8mm AN
'watch and wait'

wendysig

« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2008, 10:37:09 am »
Priscilla,
Sorry I am late in coming to this thread.  I haven't been on very much lately, and usually when I am, not for very long periods of time.  Glad to hear you are a postie and doing well.   ;D  Rest and let yourself be pampered.  You will continue to have good and bad days for a while, and as you have learned first hand, if you overdo it, will feel ike you've been hit by a truck.  Take care of yourself and keep us posted!

Sending  healing vibes your way,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!