Author Topic: Post radiation side effect Partial facial paralysis  (Read 3339 times)

KellyOakland

Post radiation side effect Partial facial paralysis
« on: December 26, 2008, 11:34:57 pm »
Hi, everyone!  I haven't posted since the first month I found I had a tumor.  I have since had Cyberknife treatment ending Dec. 17, 2008.  The treatment went well, but now (Dec. 26) I am experiencing partial facial paralysis.  My eye won't shut all the way without effort and my smile is all askew.

I  have contacted the Cyberknife office where I had the procedure done and they said these symptoms are normal and should decrease as the nerve stops being irritated.

I am wondering if anyone else had this side effect directly after radiation treatment and if so how they dealt with it.

Thank you in advance for any help,

Kelly
1.3 cm X .8 cm left side.
Partial hearing loss.
Cyberknife radiosurgery Dec. 17, 2008. Dr. Adler/Dr. Soltys

sher

Re: Post radiation side effect Partial facial paralysis
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2008, 01:09:43 am »
Kelly,
I am sorry to hear of your side effects. I too had CK but have not experienced the facial stuff yet. Hang in there! If there is one thing that I have realized with the CK process is that patience is needed and that is hard for a person who has always been impatient. I am sure that your facial issues will eventually subside. If you ever want to talk you can call me or PM me.
Sher
1.2cm x 0.6 cm extracanicular component (7 mm) 05/08/08
MRI in AUG 08  showed 30 % growth
Having CK 9/30, 10/1 and 10/2/08
1/12/08 MRI shows swelling

mk

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2008, 09:01:51 am »
Kelly,

I am sorry to hear about your problem. There is a small percentage of patients who experience facial weakness post-radiation. It usually resolves by itself. There was another forumite recently (Joey), who developed facial weakness post-GK. I think it improved after taking a course of steroids. You may want to check her posts.

I hope that you will feel better soon.
Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

sgerrard

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2008, 12:17:38 pm »
Hi Kelly,

I bet the CK docs are right and that it is just a temporary thing. I would pay attention to the eye, and make sure it doesn't get dry from not blinking normally. There are lots of posts on using eye drops. Other patients with temporary facial weakness should have tips on making it more comfortable, like heat and massage. I always reach for the ibuprofen myself, as the first thing to try.

I hope it settles down soon.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

KellyOakland

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2008, 12:02:56 pm »
Thanks for the responses.  I am now on a course of steroids.  I should know in 48 hours if the facial problems are due to swelling from the radiation.  And, I have an appointment with the Dr. in charge of my treatment on Jan. 5.

Another Dr. is calling me today to see how I'm doing, so I'll ask about warm compress and massage then.

Thanks for the support!

Kelly
Partial hearing loss.

KellyOakland

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2009, 01:24:51 pm »
Update: I am now on a stronger dose of steroids and am doing a bit better.  First time MD has seen this side effect right after treatment in patient who didn't present symptom before treatment in 700 cases.  With these odds, I should play the lottery!  :)
Partial hearing loss.

sgerrard

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2009, 10:16:02 pm »
Well that is better news, anyway. I hope it continues to improve, and that this issue fades away soon. I hope you get a winning lottery ticket too!

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.