Author Topic: Need Dr Recommendation - Philadelphia Area - 4cm AN  (Read 2995 times)

mj

Need Dr Recommendation - Philadelphia Area - 4cm AN
« on: January 15, 2009, 08:59:53 am »
Hi, I'm 39 and have a 4cm AN.  I'm in the Philadelphia area and am looking for the best surgeons for removal. I still have hearing in my ear.  Suboccipital approach has been suggested as the first approach followed by translabyrinthine approach if in the OR the surgeon can't get to the entire AN.  I am trying to reseach Dr's in the Philly area - in contact with Dr. Sataloff/Dr. Weaver team also in contact with Dr. Andrews.  Trying to find the BEST surgeon in the area is my goal. Willing to travel if neccessary. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

jtd71465

Re: Need Dr Recommendation - Philadelphia Area - 4cm AN
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2009, 06:45:33 pm »
NYC is an option with many Dr.'s.  Also, if travel is not a concern then House in LA.

Joe-

I sent my phone number in a PM if you want to talk.

Right side AN removed 1/10/07 @ NYU Medical Center
Dr's Roland and Golfinos

stevek

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2009, 11:39:28 pm »
Try Dr. Hillman at Allegheny General in Pittsburgh.  I had 4cm removed Translab from him, Dr Aziz, and Dr. Chen.  The Facilities and surgeons are second to none.

Steve
Diagnosed 5/14/08   4cmx2.8cmx3.1cm
16 hr. Translab 6/9/08
Spinal Fluid Leak 6/12, under control & released 6/16
Dr. Hillman, Dr.Chen, & Dr. Aziz @ Allegheny General in Pitt.
2cm regrowth treated with Stereotactic Radiosurgery & released 6/8/11
Dr. Fuhrer, Dr. Chen, & Dr. Hillman @ AGH

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2009, 07:42:39 am »
I had my surgery done at University Hospitals in Cleveland and I would recommend the team (Megerian and Bambakidis) without reservation.  The standard of care at UH was truly amazing.  I know it's not close to Philly (my hometown, btw), but if you have family here it's worth the trip.
Best,
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2009, 11:05:35 am »
mj -

my surgeons are near and dear to my heart, and did an outstanding job for me, but I wouldn't recommend you travel as far as Chicago.  Lots choose to travel - some as far as House in Los Angeles - but IMO it's not necessary.  You will find some very qualified, very experienced doctors right in your own back yard - or very close to it.

You need to consider returning post op to Philadelphia - most likely on an airplane - and while lots have flown shortly after their surgery, I personally cannot imagine it.  I had a 40 minute car ride home and that was enough for me  :P  That said, everyone is different and you need to do what is right for YOU.

I'd check out the doctors Stevek suggests.  I'd also look into a consultation with Drs. Roland and Golfinos in NYC.

Good luck.  Keep us posted.

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2009, 03:52:32 pm »
Hi, mj,

Since you said you're willing to travel for your AN treatment, I just thought I would insert a positive comment about air travel following surgery. I flew home to New Jersey ten days after my translab procedure in Los Angeles and had no problems at all. I should add that fatigue was my only post-surgery issue ...  had I been nauseated, dizzy, or otherwise uncomfortable I probably would have been less enthused about a cross-country flight! And while I believe that the "ten days after surgery" flight rule is fairly standard where I had my surgery, I think you can rest assured that no doctor will release you for travel until you're ready.

Catherine (JerseyGirl2)

Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

BigSister

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2009, 04:42:59 pm »
If you haven't checked out University of Penn and Johns Hopkins, it would be good to do.  Another member, Phil, has been
talking with these medical centers for his 3+ AN for surgery.  I'm sure you can email him for his feedback, which seems to
be very positive.

Good Luck!
April