Author Topic: Has anyone with a shunt ever had a shunt malfunction??  (Read 2194 times)

Cynaburst

Has anyone with a shunt ever had a shunt malfunction??
« on: May 08, 2009, 05:28:43 pm »
I was just curious whether anyone here that has a shunt has ever had their shunt malfunction?  If so, what were your symptoms and when did it happen?

I have a VP shunt that I was lucky enough to get 7.5 years ago in conjunction with a 3+ cm. AN that I had removed about a week later in a retrosigmoid surgery.  I have had some new symptoms lately and I am wondering if I might have a shunt malfunction.  I already have a CT scheduled for next week, but just wondering in the meantime.

chelsmom

Re: Has anyone with a shunt ever had a shunt malfunction??
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2009, 03:18:29 pm »
Good Morning,

My daughter has had several shunts fail.  She is on her fourth shunt (all placed in a 3 month period after surgery for a 6 cm tumor) that has had to be readjusted a couple times to a different setting.  The surgeon said that about 33% of all shunt patients have failure. Her symptoms when they failed were horrible headaches and non-stop vomiting.  The symptoms because it needed to be adjusted were feeling something like the flu.  Headaches, occasional vomiting, and fatigue.  Each time the shunt was adjusted she got relief within a couple days.  Unfortunately this last time they found that her residual tumor is growing so it's back to surgery June 1st.  You need to have this checked out.  It took an MRI with contrast to find the regrowth.  I will keep my fingers crossed that the shunt is only in need of an adjustment. 

Take Care,
Michelle

Meagan

• Picture
Re: Has anyone with a shunt ever had a shunt malfunction??
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2009, 04:17:13 pm »
Funny to be reading this as I don't have headaches but had terrible headaches where I couldn't function.  I went to the ER as I only had headaches sitting up....when lay down fine....Did CAT and 4 hour MRI to find everything in working order....I think maybe vomitting might be a side effect....but I was told since I have the shunt....any unusual headaches, I have to go visit the ER.

Good luck and I hope everything turns out ok.

Meagan
5 cms, Surgery Jan 3 2007