Author Topic: Is there a risk that an AN can be malign?  (Read 3134 times)

catlover

• 13 days post-op. I still have my smile!
Is there a risk that an AN can be malign?
« on: January 28, 2009, 02:57:59 pm »
Hello,

I got so worried and upset yesterday. I read somewhere on the forum, when a member told us about how her/his surgery was done, that the doctors came to tell his/her family, after a few hours into the surgery, that the tumour was benign. I was convinced that all ANs were benign! Is it possible to be a wait-and-watcher for years and then when the AN is big enough to be removed by surgery, the surgeons suddenly find that the AN tumour is malign. Could that be the case?  ???

Should I start worrying for that as well!  :'(  I'm already worried about my upcoming surgery in March/April.  :(

Hugs from Helene in Sweden
AN found in February, 2006, size 0,8 cm
Surgery 20th May, 2009, retrosigmoid approach
SSD and balance issues
Forever grateful to Dr Siesjo and Dr Kahlon, University Hospital of Lund, Sweden
Two AN:s found 1st March, 2016
Waiting for GK

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
Re: Is there a risk that an AN can be malign?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2009, 03:01:38 pm »

Please don't worry about this.  This is predominately a benign tumor.  There have been a few cases where this is not so, but the chances that you have a malignant tumor is very, very, slim.  So, don't worry about having cancer.  Really. 

Sue in Vancouver USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2009, 03:25:57 pm »
I agree.  The chances of getting an AN to begin with are pretty small, and then top that off with the chances of a MALIGNANT one too is really, really small.  The chances are really small even within the AN population.  I wouldn't worry about it either because chances of it are so small.  There are, as they say, bigger fishes to fry.  :)

Regards,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2009, 04:50:14 pm »
Hi Helene,

Oh, no worries.... We know that the schwann cells that make up the AN are just that.... cells that are the covering to the nerve.  I have a better chance of being hit by lightening vs. having my AN become malignant.  Reality is.... yes, exceptionally few are/become malignant, but based on overall numbers...... I'll take the lightening strike.

Hang in there....
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

mk

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2009, 07:38:16 pm »
Helene,

like everyone else said, the chances of an AN being malignant are minimal.

That being said I wanted to share by first experience searching about ANs on the internet, right after my family doctor had phoned me and given me the news of my diagnosis. So I googled acoustic schwannoma (because this was the term that the doctor used) and the very first site that showed up was a publication describing the case of a malignant AN (the title was something like "reporting a case of a trully malignant acoustic schwannoma) :o. Up to then I know nothing about ANs, so you can imagine my first reaction  :P.

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

Kaybo

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2009, 09:13:41 pm »
Helene~
Not that I know about every case first hand, but I truly do not know or have heard of one case where it was malignant.  Just as they HAVE to tell you that you might die getting your tonsils removed, the say that AN's are "almost always" benign - I think it is part of the "cover your butt in ALL cases!"  No worries!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2009, 10:54:03 pm »
Helene -

from what I understand 99.9% of ANs are benign.  So is malignancy possible?  Yes.  Is it probable?  No.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways