Author Topic: Swelling due to bone cement  (Read 2040 times)

katherine

Swelling due to bone cement
« on: February 12, 2006, 10:05:56 pm »
Has anyone had the problem of the bone cement plug being rejected by the body and having to be removed in a second surgery.  My problem started a while after surgery with swelling and pain in the incision. The swelling and pain got so bad and the doctors could not figure it out for 6 months or so when the incision formed a pimple and pieces of the bone replacement came out.   I was told that this could be a problem for meningitis or other infecton and so the bone cement  was taken out quickly.  I still have some lingering problems from this second surgery and never really got much information about what to do about the cement they could not remove and about the hole in my skull.  If you know more or anyone has had a similar experience please let me know.  Katherine

wanderer

Re: Swelling due to bone cement
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2006, 10:16:49 am »
yes,   I ended up with repeated infections (cysts)   The bone cement was removed and I continued to get them.   IV antibiotics treated it in 8 weeks.    I put up with the problem for a year.

If I had tried IV AB's through picc line sooner I may not have needed 4 of my surgeries.