Author Topic: Questions on yrs. after surgery  (Read 1694 times)

deblyvers

Questions on yrs. after surgery
« on: January 21, 2009, 09:51:38 pm »
Is there any one out there that had their surgery 15 or more yrs. ago? Wondering what health conditions you now have. I have several health issues and I believe it's from my surgery that I had 20 yrs. ago.

Jill Marie

Re: Questions on yrs. after surgery
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2009, 11:34:24 pm »
Hi, I had a Facial Neuroma removed 17 years ago this June.  I don't believe I've had any health issues arise because of it.  I take thyroid medication and found through research that the thyroid issue has given me added health problems.  If somehow that tumor caused the thyroid to go crazy than I would say yes to it causing problems, but I highly doubt it.  I'm here to listen if you would like to elaborate.  Jill Marie
Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.

GRACE1

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2009, 11:24:07 am »
When the GA group meets on Feb 7, I will ask a lady that I met at a support meeting in 2006.  She does not participate on this forum.  She had surgery about 18 years ago.  She also had GK in 2006.

Grace
Diagnosed 7/06: AN - right side: 1.3cm in transverse dimension, 6mm in AP dimension, and 6mm in cephalocaudal dimension.
GK 12/06- Wake Forest Univ Baptist Med Ctr
MRI 5/07- Some necrosis;  Now SSD
MRI 12/08- AN size has reduced 50%
MRI 12/11- AN stable (unchanged from 12/08)
Next MRI: 12/16

jerseygirl

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2009, 06:15:36 pm »
Hi,

I had my first AN surgery almost 21 years ago and another one 1.5 years ago. Except for this &^*( AN, nothing has been bothering me (so far). Why do you think your current health issues relate to the surgery you had 20 years ago?

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

deblyvers

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2009, 02:19:53 pm »
Hi,

I had my first AN surgery almost 21 years ago and another one 1.5 years ago. Except for this &^*( AN, nothing has been bothering me (so far). Why do you think your current health issues relate to the surgery you had 20 years ago?

Eve
Hello Eve, thanks for the response. How large was your last AN? I keep having MRI's every 2 yrs. I do have a very small AN which has not grown. The reason I think my current medical condition is related to my surgery is that all the research on Fibromyalgia they most always say the cause of Fibromyalgia is unknowed...how ever go on to say they believe trauma from car wreck or from surgery on neck or head could be the cause.

Back to you...did you loose your hearing? How about paralysis in your face? I still have about 10% paralysis on the right side of my face. The hearing lose I have gotten use to, more aggravating at times. Everyone says I have selective hearing  :) :) How have you come along since you last surgery?

Debbie

Kaybo

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2009, 02:40:42 pm »
Debbie~
I am not as far out as you said, but I am farther than most.  I had my tumor removed in 1995.  I wouldn't say that I have any real issues DIRECTLY related to the AN, but I have wondered about the relation between thyroid - it seems like a LOT of people have thyroid issues.  In my case though, my mom & grandma both had thyroid issues (& no AN) so it seems hereditary.  I have a lot of things that are on-going like dental issues and eye problems, but those aren't really "health" issues.

Do you have fibromyalgia or something else?

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

jerseygirl

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2009, 11:59:24 am »
Hi, Debbie,

I am sorry you were diagnosed with fibromyalgia. It cannot possibly be fun with all the AN complications. I hope there is medication now that helps you. 

My tumor at the time of second surgery was medium sized. It really was in a difficult location, so it made the removal complicated. They did not take everything out the first time and the tumor was coming up in all the critical places. I am still recovering after the second surgery but I am so glad that the MRI is finally clean and there is no facial paralysis. I lost my hearing in one ear during the first surgery.

Now that I think of it, I would not be surprised if the AN surgery itself predisposes people to something. Unfortunately, the researchers never bothered to look, so connection was never established. Thank God nothing else has been found because this AN has been enough to deal with!

How come you still have small AN? Is it a regrowth or a new one on a different side?

Eve 
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.