Author Topic: concentration  (Read 2462 times)

thecakes

concentration
« on: February 11, 2006, 08:51:56 am »
   Just one more thing, I use this website to vent all my problems, but I truely am greatful for my life, family, etc.....as I was going to say, I cannot concentrate.  I keep thinking if I'd have a job, I'd be fired.  I am full of mistakes and I can't read a book because I can't stay with it.  My sugery was in 02 with plenty of complications.  I hav'nt read a whole book yet. I miss that.  I go to the library and get books and try to read them but I can"t concentrate.     thecakes

russ

Re: concentration
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2006, 04:38:58 pm »
Hello
  If you can break the article into sections and maybe hi-lite or make notes... This will help you to understand your lack of concentration. It is common to those with vestibular disorder.
www.backgroundfacts.com/menieres/COGDIS.htm Dr Kenneth Erickson's, "Cognitive Aspects of Vestibular Disorders".
  I hope this helps some. I can't read much at a time either. Really, I get quite exhausted with the words floating all over the page and starting, then restarting paragraphs, only to forget what I've read.
  Russ

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2006, 07:35:35 pm »
thecakes: I forget how long you are post-op. I find for the mundane I do have difficulty remembering things but not the important stuff ie: I am able to function very well at work and recall all that I need to there but I'll do things like set down my coffee and forget where I left it, I will loose train of thought mid-sentence in social settings but never have at work (psych. nurse, do a lot of talking) and I am able to recall patient stories even when they haven't been in hospital for years. It's really strange how it works. Apparently within like two day of my first surgery my mother was absolutely amased as I called a number of friends without even consulting my phone book, long distance too.....funny thing was I'd call some more than once to say I was out of surgery and o.k. :)
Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

antoinette

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2006, 10:04:57 am »
It is possible to do exercises to increase concentration and short-term memory, which has a lot to do with the management of the thinking process, (so in the concentration that you find somewhat damaged).
I will take time to write them as I remember them, but you, or others, might well find some of these exercises on the Internet.
Keep looking, I have little time at the moment, but they do help a lot and some are used for Alzheimer patients.
ant