Author Topic: Vocational Rehab  (Read 3999 times)

Battyp

Vocational Rehab
« on: March 14, 2006, 02:01:39 pm »
The verdict is still out but met with a counselor from vocational rehab today.  They are going to send me for some testing to determine what (if anything) I'd be good at with my new limitations.  They also made the comment that they feel I need to shoot for social security disability for main source of income and use them for a part time job hopefully until I can get back to teaching.  For thos of you like me who are floundering employment wise I encourage you to apply for help.  They will send you for school, training, help your employer understand any disabilities and provide counselling to help you adapt to the "new" you. 

They must work around our cruise schedule..do you think they'll mind?   ;D

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: Vocational Rehab
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2006, 02:39:50 pm »
batty, I'm tickled that today's appt went well and you were able to gain some insight and helpful info. Sounds like they know their stuff there and made some good recommendations (besides me telling you to open up a phone sex line so you can work from home).  Sounds like it was a worthy appt and hoping that they can help narrow down things for you in training and voc counseling.

BTW, if you insist to them, like I did with my upcoming CK treatments, everyone will work around our schedules, cruise included! :)
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Battyp

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2006, 02:57:06 pm »
yeah she said she'd work around my schedule....whew for a minute there I thought you expected her to work around my phone sex schedule  ....lol

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2006, 03:03:32 pm »
Good for you Batty, I hope you feel a little better about things!!!! 

Maybe they can voc you to be a real cruise/travel director in the intirim, and you won't have to work our cruise around their schedule as it will be your job!  And we'll make sure to put a phone on the boat!   ;)

Seriously, I hope this can get you through!  Hang in there!
3.1cm x 2.0cm x 2.1cm rt AN Translab 7/5/06
CSF leak 7/17/06 fixed by 8 day lumbar drain
Dr. Backous, Virgina Mason Seattle
12/26/07 started wearing TransEar

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2006, 03:19:21 pm »
Heck, to be a cruise director, just have people-person skills... yep, batty can fill in for me if I'm *ahem* busy with Matthew below deck!  (or in the lifeboats, laundry room, etc)  :P
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Battyp

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2006, 06:01:31 pm »
Matthew was MY IDEA...I no wanna share  lol  (do I sound like a bratty wench now?  lol)

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2006, 09:43:11 pm »
*does best Ann Richardson voice*

you  ARE.... the batty wench! :D

(yo, batty, when do you meet next with voc rehab?)

Matthew was MY IDEA...I no wanna share  lol  (do I sound like a bratty wench now?  lol)

Battyp

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2006, 10:06:44 pm »
I have to wait for them to process me which means getting reports from some doctors.  She said she felt confident processing me based on our face to face interview and will start scheduling my testing and neuro psych appt?  I think she wants to rule out me being crazy  lol

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2006, 10:31:54 pm »
Batty,

Don't show her your cruise posts or we will never see you again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2.0cm AN removed Nov 2002.
Dr Chang St Vincents, Sydney
Australia. Regrowth discovered
Nov 2005. Watch and wait until 2010 when I had radiotherapy. 20% shrinkage and no change since - You beauty
Chronologer of the PBW
http://www.frappr.com/laz

Battyp

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2006, 10:59:34 pm »
You can't get rid of me that easy  lol

My smile works my words don't can I still be the cruise director?

Static

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2006, 09:02:26 pm »
Batty,

I've also heard that if they feel it will help you, voc rehab will pay for a hearing aid be it baha, cros, whatever.  I'd look into that if I were you.  I was going to look into a CROS until I found out any hearing aid starts at around $1,300 and I have too many other bils right now so it will have to wait.  Not sure if it will even work for  me or not.  Going to look into it anyway, once spring has sprung  here.  I can't take any more cold weather.

Static
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right

Battyp

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2006, 10:25:00 pm »
Yes they will pay for surgery if it will help you get a job.  They were authorizing someone's while I was there.  I'm not a candiate for any hearing app due to tinnitus in both ears and nothing left in my an ear all the nerves are damaged.  They did offer to do some apptitude testing and send me for counselling to see what they could train me to do.