Author Topic: Just found out about my AN, researching surgery options (Pittsburgh, PA)  (Read 6537 times)

LADavid

Re: Just found out about my AN, researching surgery options (Pittsburgh, PA)
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2009, 04:55:58 pm »
Can't offer much in the way of AN surgery advice, but I was born in Allegheny General 60 years ago.  It's done all right by me so far  ;D.  Best wishes to all of you Burg-ers from an old Monroeville guy.
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
Re: Just found out about my AN, researching surgery options (Pittsburgh, PA)
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2009, 07:22:35 pm »
Steve:

So sorry that I didn't see your post sooner.

My symptoms included alot of dizziness, which I didn't pay attention to until I had sudden hearing loss. Even then I didn;t think the two were related. I had retrosig 8 months ago for a 1.5cm AN. I was hoping to save my hearing, which was around 60% for my word recognition. My tumor peeled right off the nerve so the hearing nerve was spared but my word recognition is now at 20% anyway--too much hearing for the BAHA, but not enough for a BTE hearing aid to be very helpful for much else than directionality.

The vestibular nerve, however, was removed. I have some balance issues, but PT helped a great deal. I walk like a drunken sailor when I'm tired, but most people don't notice. My physical therapist said it was internal--I feels worse than what is visible.

I had some temporary and slight facial nerve weakness about 17 days po-surgery. A few weeks of taking Prednisone took care of it. My face was back to its old self before I finished taking the prednisone rx.

I am currently getting treatment for headaches--I rarely got headaches before my surgery. I don't know that translab would have spared me the headaches.

I got several opinions regarding treatment and found that I was a candidate for everything, W&W, radiation, and surgery. It's tough making a decision, isn't it? It's a long recovery, but you will be OK.

Take Care

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.