Author Topic: Is pre-op massage therapy effective?  (Read 3687 times)

massage

Is pre-op massage therapy effective?
« on: February 25, 2009, 10:29:36 am »
Help - I 'm a Massage therapist and I have a new client who has been diagnosed with AN.  She is going to have surgery in May.  How can I best help her?  Have any of you had Massage - pre-op?  Can you recommend massage therapists with this experience that I can talk to?  Did Massage pre-op help? 

Thanks for any advice I get.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 04:08:27 pm by Jim Scott »

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
Re: Is pre-op massage therapy effective?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 04:35:37 pm »
Leading up to diagnosis and surgery, I had a massage about 1 per month for a long time.  It never seemed to bother me.  I did notice in the last few months leading up to diagnosis that my neck was pretty tight (hence the massages) and massages tended to help, but it never really went away.

I can't say if a massage pre-op helped or not, but they didn't hurt either.  It certainly helped keep the stress level down somewhat before surgery.  I've had 1 massage post-surgery as I haven't felt the need as badly as I did pre-op.  I could stand for it again, but I don't *NEED* one like I did pre-op.

I would suspect that helping your patient relieve neck and shoulder tension and generally de-stressing will help before surgery.

I hope this helps..

Regards,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 05:01:59 pm »
I see a massage therapist regularly.  When I was diagnosed she was a bit concerned because if the tumour was concerous apparently it is not a good idea to have massage. Anyway, there was a good chance that mine (didn't know if I had an AN or a menginoma) was not cancerous so I  went because I had terrible shoulder and neck pain. Oh and the obvious I was stressed to the max, had a lot on my mind as I am sure you can imagine. It was so good to go and relax. I am sure that massage will be extremely benefical for your client.

AFTER my surgery I started going and having a full body massage to get the blood flowing and to help rid my body of any toxins. I had my head in a clamped position for 12 hours so I felt very stiff among other aches and pains. I really feel that my massage therapist was a huge part of my recovery. I continue to go, at first it was every two weeks and now I go once a month and I will continue with that schedule.  I could not teach kindergarten if I didn't have them. The aromatherapy of lavender scented oils just sent me to my happy relaxing place. She now is doing massage (stretching exercises) on my neck that is tight and some on my face (as I suffered facial paralysis) and I LOVE her and know that she has been an instrumental part in my recovery.

Michelle  ;D
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

hruss

• young and cheerful!
    • I made this group to help others!! (the group is in Bulgarian and in English)
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 04:18:10 am »
I see a massage therapist regularly too, but after my surgery. I did not have any massages done before any of my surgeries.
Now i go every month - in Bulgaria you are allowed to go to till your GP decides it is good for you. Since I still struggle a facial paralysis, I have gone to massages 4 months now, 10 times a month.

I think that a regular massage of her body before the surgery will make her relax and will be  good anti-stress (the period before the surgery is very very stressful!)

Sorry I could not chime in deeper!
Good luck to your client with the surgery!
Hrissy
4.5cm right AN pressing on the brain stem, dn Sept 2007
2 Retrosigm surgeries in Oct 2007 and Jan 2008 by the Bulgarian prof. Kyrkeselian partially removed.
3rd retro surgery in Hannover,Germany by prof Samii, Oct 2008. SSD
Got rid of my bugger, temp facial paresis
hrissysexperiences.blogspot.co

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2009, 03:04:51 pm »
I've been seeing my MT almost weekly and it has been a wonderful boost to my recovery.  Had I thought of it, I would have gone before (pre=op)
and had him work my neck muscles because those were seriously sore and painful post-op.
Best,
M
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

JudyT

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2009, 09:39:42 am »
I use a massage therapist regularly and find it most helpful for several reasons....since gait and stability are difficult balance related issues my joints/muscles get stiff and massage is good for them. Stiff neck, headaches, facial pain etc, tension/stress are ever present it helps with that too. Removing toxins, increased hydration, meditation,relaxation practice are also most helpful.
I really believe in the value of massage for many reasons.

Judy