Author Topic: brand new and scared  (Read 4793 times)

Donna

brand new and scared
« on: April 09, 2006, 10:54:11 am »
so glad i happened to find this site.  I was just told 3 weeks ago the reason for my dizz spells head pressure and all together "what is wrong with me" issues.  My mri shows a 2mm acoustic schwannoma.  I have an apt. on tue with a neoro. dr.  head pressure is the worst and the unsteadyness... any suggestions thanks.. 

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
Re: brand new and scared
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2006, 12:53:52 pm »
Donna,
When you see your neurologist on Tuesday--ask him to verify the size. 2mm ANs usually don't present with such severe symptoms.  There is a world of help for those of us who go through this and it is treatable. Keep doing your reasearch as there are quite a few treatment options. You will get lots of support and help on this site.

Captain Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Battyp

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2006, 02:05:05 pm »
Hi Donna,
  I agree with Capt Deb.  Are you sure it's MM and not CM?  I had a 2CM one which caused the pressure you are describing.  Please know anyone of us are here to answer any questions you have and you have just joined the most exlusive club in the world..i started to say america but there are soma aussie, canadians and at least one irish that I know of!  We all learn for each other, no question is too silly!

Donna

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2006, 03:56:16 pm »
thank you both so much for the answers.  I will be asking him sooo many questions.  I have learned a lot just reading every thing on here. The mri is all so strange to me.  the diagnosis includeds an "artifact" and a 2 mm acoustic schwannoma.  an "artifact" haa  I am starting to think my older sister put a bean in my ear when I was little or something and this is just a night mare.  I am sure another mri will be done, I suppose but I thank you all for your emails in here I learned a lot of things to ask him God bless   donna

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2006, 06:12:42 pm »
Donna,

Oh, we are sooooooo here for you... and our Capt'n Deb and the batty wench are correct. To find a 2mm AN with any symptoms is pretty much unheardof but we are not you and don't see the films. I have to round out to a 3 here in having the doc reconfirm the size....

I want you to know that, like you, I stumbled on this site and the wealth of info, of support, of giggles and most of all, of love, is overwhelming.  So much info to absorb, so much to digest. Know that we are here with hugs and shoulders and ears (ok, our good ears!) whenever you need us. Please... never forget that. You may be feeling a bit lost right now, but know that each and everyone of us are here to help... in any and all ways we can... if you want us to, if you don't, whatever works for you. But know that we certainly do understand.

Hang in there.  You'll be more fine than you think! :)  (is that proper English?  oh, heck!)

Phyllis
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2006, 08:22:24 pm »
Donna,

Another echo on the previous...let us know what the neurologist says on Tuesday...2mm is small for having such symptoms, but then again one of the first things you will learn about AN patients is there seems to be no rhyme or reason to size, side, and symptoms.  Take a deep breath, and hang in there till Tuesday, then get back with us and we will talk....there is a wealth of knowledge in here that has been invaluable to me.  It really is an awsome place. 
3.1cm x 2.0cm x 2.1cm rt AN Translab 7/5/06
CSF leak 7/17/06 fixed by 8 day lumbar drain
Dr. Backous, Virgina Mason Seattle
12/26/07 started wearing TransEar

Mark H

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2006, 09:09:37 pm »
I have what the dr's think might be bilateral AN's  and they are both about 2mm. I also have less than good balance, tinnitus, and some very slight facial numbness. i also have NF, dagnosed with type 1 a long time ago. I have talked to other folks with NF2 who had balance issues before the AN''s showed up on MRI's so I guess it could also happen with one side AN's too. I do have some neurobibromas in the white matter, so maybe they have something to do with the balnce issues since even though the dr's refer to the ones in my ears as acoustic neuromas they haven't actually diagnosed them as such yet since they are so small. I've been trying to get the darn things to grow a little bit so they can be positively identified one way or the other, but so far no luck.  ;D
Mark

russ

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2006, 10:10:03 pm »
Hi Donna
  I'm not sure why a Neurologist would be involved here but that must be where you started.
  As pers others, 2mm. is pretty small but strategically located in the Inner Auditory Canal, it could be altering vestibular signals sent to your brain.
  Another thing; Very small MRI bright spots can be either AN or 'vestibular neuronitis'; The latter ( if so ) which would pass in time. Head pressure is a bit of a vague/subjective word usage. It could mean head ache or a full feeling ( aural fullness ). It could be aggravated by tension/anxiety/or off balance compensations.
  I would not jump at treating this at this point w/o another MRI in 6 mos. after this original baselining MRI.
  Best wishes Tuesday!
  Russ

so glad i happened to find this site.  I was just told 3 weeks ago the reason for my dizz spells head pressure and all together "what is wrong with me" issues.  My mri shows a 2mm acoustic schwannoma.  I have an apt. on tue with a neoro. dr.  head pressure is the worst and the unsteadyness... any suggestions thanks.. 

Robquinn9

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2006, 06:46:48 am »
Donna-

Having just been through the long trail from knowing nothing to a successful surgery and ongoing recovery of my wife, I can say that there is HOPE.  I think this site is a tremendous gateway to learning more and really getting the nitty-gritty about AN's from those who've been through it and those (like me) onthe sidelines.

Nothing is out of bounds and there are many devoted people on this board all the time willing to offer up advice, support, etc.

Rob
Wife had 2.8 x 2.5 Rt Side AN removed by Dr. House, Dr. Payner @ St. Vincents in Indy on 3/13/2006.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2006, 02:45:29 pm »
Rob, thrilled to see you post and wanted to see how things at home are!  Continued good wishes to your wife and please send along hugs to her (and you and the babe as well!)

Donna, hoping to get your updates and potential remeasurement of your growth... we're here for ya! :)

Phyllis

Donna-

Having just been through the long trail from knowing nothing to a successful surgery and ongoing recovery of my wife, I can say that there is HOPE.  I think this site is a tremendous gateway to learning more and really getting the nitty-gritty about AN's from those who've been through it and those (like me) onthe sidelines.

Nothing is out of bounds and there are many devoted people on this board all the time willing to offer up advice, support, etc.

Rob
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

wind6

• Winch Wench ;)
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2006, 09:36:10 pm »
Hi Donna, I was like you when I first found out. I was sooooo scared until I found this place. It is really wonderful here and there is always someone that will be feeling or has in the past felt everything you can possibly imagaine. I consider it my soft place to land. I, along with the others here offer up any support I can give you. Will be watching for your updates. Hugzzzzzz, Sherry
2.5cm x 3.1cm facial nerve neuroma
removed 8-2-2005(retrosigmoid)
St.Johns Hospital-Springfield,Illinois
Dr.Michael McIlhany and Dr.Carol Bauer
Wait n' watch mode for 8 years.
Gamma Knife at Northwestern Memorial Hospital. Chicago,IL. Dr. James P. Chandler. July 10, 2013.