Author Topic: Going to house clinic  (Read 1458 times)

kemar

Going to house clinic
« on: February 25, 2009, 10:00:52 am »
After many weeks of prayer and research, God has given us a peace about the House clinic. I will have surgery on March 13th to remove a 1.2cm AN.
If anyone is in or near the clinic in LA, please let me know and any info or help that you have for my wife and I would be great. We are traveling across the country from GA, so we will know no one out there. However, Dr. Friedman and his staff have been great so far and given us both great comfort! We will fly in on the 11th for testing. Thanks to all that have sent a reply to me with all of your thoughts and prayers. God has already reminded us that He is still in control!

Thanks,

Mark Mariakis

LADavid

Re: Going to house clinic
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 11:19:42 am »
But, Mark, you do know people out here.  There are several of us House alumni that enjoy getting together with new House patients prior to surgery to welcome them to LA and answer questions. It looks as though you have the 12th open.  If you're interested in joining us for lunch or a visit in the cafeteria, let me know and I'll round up the gang.

And, what questions do you have about LA that I can answer now?

What part of Georgia are you from?  There's a group from Atlanta and north Georgia that just had a get together.  Cindyj is one of them.  She had her surgery at House in November.

You've got friends and you're in good hands at House.

Best wishes
David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 11:50:21 am »
Mark -

good to see you've found peace and a decision; two very important steps that are often hard to come by.

David and the other LA forumites (Nancy and Lainie come to mind) will take good care of you; they've helped a lot of other forumites who chose House.

Good luck on the 13th.  As David said, you'll be in good hands and I'm confident things will go well for you.

Did you - or David - put your big date on the AN Calendar?

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

cindyj

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009, 01:40:36 pm »
Hey, Mark!

Congratulations on making your decision!  Was great talking with you the other day - please call again if you have any other questions before you head out there.  You will be in good hands...the doctors and, hopefully, the LA Welcoming Committee of David, Nancy and Lainie, etc as well :D

Keep us posted and we'll be looking for you at the next Georgia Get-Together as a Postie!

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2009, 03:54:21 pm »
Mark ~

Congratulations on your decision, which seems to be a good one.  I'm so glad to learn that you believe our prayers helped.  As LADavid assured you, you'll certainly have friends in Los Angeles.  :)  I took the liberty of adding your surgery date to the AN Treatment Calendar -  http://my.calendars.net/an_treatments/d13/03/2009

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

NL

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2009, 01:38:25 am »
Hi Mark,

I see you've already spoken with Cindy, and I'm sure she gave you lots of info about coming out here from GA. It looks like you'll have the same surgical team as Cindy and I did, too - you will be in very good hands.

Your new LA friends - David, Lainie and I - will be happy to meet with you and your wife when you arrive in LA.  :)

Nancy

1.6 cm left AN diagnosed Oct. '07
1.9 cm on 2nd MRI, May '08
Retrosigmoid surgery at House Clinic/St. Vincent's on 8/6/08
(no post-op dizziness, nausea, facial or balance issues)
Thankful for a fantastic team of doctors - Dr. Rick Friedman, Dr. Marc Schwartz, & Dr. Michael Stefan

bdsgurl

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2009, 11:40:29 am »
I just had my surgery over two weeks ago at House clinic, you couldnt be in better hands, of that i am confident. God bless you, ill keep you in my prayers on your surgery day.

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2009, 11:57:49 am »
Mark:
I wish I lived closer to LA so I could join the House Clinic Welcoming Committee. Unfortunately I'm 6 hrs north in Stockton.
But that doesn't have to stop me from sending prayers and good thoughts your way.

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

GRACE1

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2009, 12:25:06 pm »
Best of luck to you with your sugery.  You are going to a great place from all I have read.  The next time we meet for lunch in the Atlanta area, I sure do hope you will be able to join us.  You and Cindy will have a lot to talk about.

Grace
Diagnosed 7/06: AN - right side: 1.3cm in transverse dimension, 6mm in AP dimension, and 6mm in cephalocaudal dimension.
GK 12/06- Wake Forest Univ Baptist Med Ctr
MRI 5/07- Some necrosis;  Now SSD
MRI 12/08- AN size has reduced 50%
MRI 12/11- AN stable (unchanged from 12/08)
Next MRI: 12/16

kathylittlejohncobb

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2009, 01:39:08 pm »
Hi Mark,
I ran across your posting just now...on the 12th, of all days!  Knowing exactly what you are going through today...doctor visit after doctor visit!  A tiring day, for sure!  ::) 
You are absolutely in the best of hands at House!  Dr. Friedman was also my physician, along with Dr. Marc Schwartz, and they are so, so wonderful!  I hope that your experience at House goes as well as mine did three years ago. 
Let us hear from you soon.
God bless you,
Kathy
P.S. Be sure to visit the Farmers' Market when you feel better; Madeline's is a great restaurant!   
Retrosigmoid at House/St. Vincent's in Los Angeles 4-4-06; partial hearing saved on AN side;
Dr. Marc Schwartz & Dr. Rick Friedman, my heroes!

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2009, 04:31:42 pm »
Welcome aboard, kemar!  You're in great hands out in LA.  And, LADavid and the rest of the LA Welcoming committee are wonderful!  I highly encourage you to take them up on the offer of meeting up before your surgery. 

Regards,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager